Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This sounds promising for hydrogen fuel cell powered cars 10:08 - Apr 18 with 655 viewsStokieBlue

A new material has been developed which an store more hydrogen at lower pressures and thus costs a lot less to manufacture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52328786

The usual case made for hydrogen fuel cell cars is they can use the existing infrastructure (petrol stations etc) and can be refuelled in minutes rather than hours. Obviously there would be an industry around creating the hydrogen which might not be ideal given the petrol companies are likely to corner it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This sounds promising for hydrogen fuel cell powered cars on 10:16 - Apr 18 with 621 viewsbluelagos

The hyundai rep when I was looking at a car showed me their latest offering on a hydrogen car. Was awesome - albeit at £70k way out of range for us mere mortals. He was really confident that would be the future as opposed to electric cars.

What you reckon?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This sounds promising for hydrogen fuel cell powered cars on 10:20 - Apr 18 with 616 viewsStokieBlue

This sounds promising for hydrogen fuel cell powered cars on 10:16 - Apr 18 by bluelagos

The hyundai rep when I was looking at a car showed me their latest offering on a hydrogen car. Was awesome - albeit at £70k way out of range for us mere mortals. He was really confident that would be the future as opposed to electric cars.

What you reckon?

I think it makes more sense provided:

- Production of hydrogen can be scaled up and not monopolised
- Production of hydrogen is carbon-neutral
- The costs come down to the same as a regular car (this is possible)
- Governments get behind it with scrappage schemes to get people to switch

Japan have long felt hydrogen was a better route to the extent the government have subsidised all their car companies to do research on it.

Benefits are obvious:

- No emissions (just water - assuming carbon neutrality)
- Quicker refuelling so much larger ranges, basically like a normal car
- Less lithium reliance
- Easy to convert existing infrastructure from petrol to hydrogen (petrol stations)

I think we will need to wait and see. It certainly could be the way forward though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This sounds promising for hydrogen fuel cell powered cars on 10:25 - Apr 18 with 604 viewshampstead_blue

I was at Burnaston, Toyota UK Manufacturing plant, late last year.
Toyota have a fleet of hydrogen cars ready for the Olympics - whenever that will be.

They are investing heavily in hydrogen and as the largest car manufacturer in the world, that speaks volumes.

The training facility there has a huge hydrogen capability and they are so excited about it.
I just wish their interior components procurement team would find better materials and they design something interesting!

Can't wait.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

This sounds promising for hydrogen fuel cell powered cars on 11:07 - Apr 18 with 571 viewsBasuco

Sounds very good and much better than battery power at the moment, until the range and time to charge the battery powered family priced cars improves significantly. Also the revamped pits at Le Mans have a hydrogen fuel line planned as well, so we will see what a racing hydrogen engine can do as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024