Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Away fans in the South Stand 13:39 - Apr 20 with 869 viewsuefacup81

Just been re-watching the 2003/4 season highlights DVD. For the home leg of the playoff semi-final, it seems West Ham were given a block of the lower South Stand, as well as the usual allocation in the Cobbold.

Never seen this done before. Was this a one-off for this match? How come?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Away fans in the South Stand on 13:41 - Apr 20 with 845 viewsFifeITFC

Play Off semi with a requirement for a set allocation of tickets for away fans, I believe. Not many clubs needed it, but West Ham would have easily infiltrated the home sections with local-ish addresses for databases etc.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Away fans in the South Stand on 14:26 - Apr 20 with 760 viewsITFC_Forever

Yes it was a one-off for this match as the PO rules stated you had to give a certain % of tickets to away fans.

For some reason, they got the last block of Churchmans, rather than spreading them further along the Cobbold Stand.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Away fans in the South Stand on 14:28 - Apr 20 with 753 viewsuefacup81

Away fans in the South Stand on 14:26 - Apr 20 by ITFC_Forever

Yes it was a one-off for this match as the PO rules stated you had to give a certain % of tickets to away fans.

For some reason, they got the last block of Churchmans, rather than spreading them further along the Cobbold Stand.

I suppose that makes sense in a way. Given that their coaches would have been parked on Portman Road, and that the rest of them would most likely have been making their way to the station, why not concentrate them in the south-east corner of the ground.

That said, if you're going to take that sort of view, why not just put them all in the Churchmans?

As an aside, we should have been home and hosed after the first leg with the chances we missed!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Away fans in the South Stand on 14:30 - Apr 20 with 752 viewslongtimefan

Away fans in the South Stand on 13:41 - Apr 20 by FifeITFC

Play Off semi with a requirement for a set allocation of tickets for away fans, I believe. Not many clubs needed it, but West Ham would have easily infiltrated the home sections with local-ish addresses for databases etc.

They were given the left-side third (looking from the pitch). As mentioned, this was under a Play-off requirement to give opposition fans a set percentage of tickets. 20% rings a bell. I think it may have happened for one other game but I might be getting confused!
Away fans in the South Stand on 15:05 - Apr 20 with 689 viewsgainsboroughblue

Away fans in the South Stand on 14:30 - Apr 20 by longtimefan

They were given the left-side third (looking from the pitch). As mentioned, this was under a Play-off requirement to give opposition fans a set percentage of tickets. 20% rings a bell. I think it may have happened for one other game but I might be getting confused!

PR was bloody loud that day. We got it back with interest for the return though.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Away fans in the South Stand on 15:19 - Apr 20 with 666 viewsPJH

Away fans in the South Stand on 15:05 - Apr 20 by gainsboroughblue

PR was bloody loud that day. We got it back with interest for the return though.

Yes, Alan Pardew really had the West Ham support pumped that night for the second leg.
Away fans in the South Stand on 15:27 - Apr 20 with 645 viewsflimflam

Away fans in the South Stand on 15:05 - Apr 20 by gainsboroughblue

One of the very few times I felt intimated at an away match.

The atmosphere was extremely loud and there seemed to be an edge before and after the game.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Away fans in the South Stand on 15:31 - Apr 20 with 631 viewsPJH

Away fans in the South Stand on 15:27 - Apr 20 by flimflam

One of the very few times I felt intimated at an away match.

The atmosphere was extremely loud and there seemed to be an edge before and after the game.

I agree.

I don't think it would not have been a nice place to be after the game if we had gone through.
Login to get fewer ads

Away fans in the South Stand on 15:32 - Apr 20 with 630 viewsFifeITFC

Away fans in the South Stand on 14:28 - Apr 20 by uefacup81

I suppose that makes sense in a way. Given that their coaches would have been parked on Portman Road, and that the rest of them would most likely have been making their way to the station, why not concentrate them in the south-east corner of the ground.

That said, if you're going to take that sort of view, why not just put them all in the Churchmans?

As an aside, we should have been home and hosed after the first leg with the chances we missed!

Firstly, the entire Churchmans would have bigger than the entire allocation permitted. Secondly, you would have annoyed a greater number of ticket holders having to move from their usual seats. Thirdly, you would have the away fans covering a greater geographical area and also giving their team a psychological advantage shooting to their fans (have you noticed more clubs don't away fans behind the goal anymore like they used to?).

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024