Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walking with elephants.. Channel 4 21:50 - May 10 with 648 viewsgtsb1966

20,000 elephants killed by poachers every year. Isn't it time the countries of this world came together and funded an army to protect Africa's wildlife. Pay them a decent wage so they can't be corrupted. Mind you I'd gladly kill a poacher for f*** all.
Walking with elephants.. Channel 4 on 21:54 - May 10 with 633 viewsjeera

I haven't watched it yet but probably will.

Thing is I know it will wind me up too.

It's one of those things that most people feel the same way, and yet clearly some can't see a problem.

I've had a strong disagreement with people over this and they can be as delusional as those who will argue this virus is a hoax. It's a type of person isn't it.

A want to do as they please type, even if doing as they please involves the slaughter of stunning, innocent wildlife. No appreciation of the world whatsoever.
[Post edited 10 May 2020 21:56]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Walking with elephants.. Channel 4 on 21:54 - May 10 with 631 viewsStokieBlue

Pretty sure he said 20000 elephants died of natural causes each year not poachers. I was surprised the number was that high for some reason.

Doesn't mean the general thrust of your animal protection point isn't right though.

SB
[Post edited 10 May 2020 21:55]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Walking with elephants.. Channel 4 on 21:58 - May 10 with 606 viewsGuthrum

It's not just bribery. There are also threats to lives and families. A number of wardens are murdered every year.

Unfortunately, these reserves are huge and wild, it would take an enormous army to patrol them adequately. Better to try stamping out the trade at the other end. With no markets, there'd be no profit in poaching.

Mind you, much like the drug trade, it's not the actual poachers making the money. Many of them are local villagers trying to get enough to survive. The dealers are the ones raking it in.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Walking with elephants.. Channel 4 on 22:01 - May 10 with 601 viewsfooters

Unfortunately the economic benefits of poaching are still hugely tempting for most involved in it.

I completely agree on your point in general, mind you, but as privileged Westerners it's easy to shout and scream at them, but also difficult to argue with someone so dirt poor wanting to put bread on the table. We rightly see it as an abhorrent practice, but in reality this won't go away unless the economic incentive is removed.

Thankfully we've banned the trade in (new) ivory, etc. But there are still some sick fckers who want the stuff.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Walking with elephants.. Channel 4 on 22:02 - May 10 with 596 viewsgtsb1966

Walking with elephants.. Channel 4 on 21:54 - May 10 by StokieBlue

Pretty sure he said 20000 elephants died of natural causes each year not poachers. I was surprised the number was that high for some reason.

Doesn't mean the general thrust of your animal protection point isn't right though.

SB
[Post edited 10 May 2020 21:55]

I may have heard that wrong so thanks for putting me right. Just read it's approximately between 10 and 15 thousand each year. That's 10 to 15 thousand too many. I'd still gladly kill a poacher.
Walking with elephants.. Channel 4 on 23:31 - May 10 with 510 viewsPendejo

Walking with elephants.. Channel 4 on 21:58 - May 10 by Guthrum

It's not just bribery. There are also threats to lives and families. A number of wardens are murdered every year.

Unfortunately, these reserves are huge and wild, it would take an enormous army to patrol them adequately. Better to try stamping out the trade at the other end. With no markets, there'd be no profit in poaching.

Mind you, much like the drug trade, it's not the actual poachers making the money. Many of them are local villagers trying to get enough to survive. The dealers are the ones raking it in.

Making something illegal makes it lucrative.

There was a report proposing managed legalisation as a means of deflating the profit, but I can't locate it right now...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024