Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Online only car retailer 19:18 - Aug 19 with 809 viewsKungfuBlue

Hi all,

Anyone got experience of using an online only car retailer? Found nice car for the wife on carnext.com But have realised I’m obviously fairly traditional when it comes to buying cars as a little sceptical spending a decent wedge of money without test driving or seeing the car first.
Online only car retailer on 23:46 - Aug 19 with 709 viewsjeera

Bit of a mix on the review front here.

I say mixed...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/dealers/buckinghamshire/milton-keynes/carnext-milto

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Online only car retailer on 00:17 - Aug 20 with 695 viewsNewcyBlue

Never ever ever buy a car that you can’t test drive and inspect. Ever. Ever. Never. At all.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Online only car retailer on 00:21 - Aug 20 with 695 viewsNewcyBlue

Online only car retailer on 23:46 - Aug 19 by jeera

Bit of a mix on the review front here.

I say mixed...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/dealers/buckinghamshire/milton-keynes/carnext-milto

When you do buy a car...

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? by NewcyBlue 2 Aug 2020 0:56
My used car buying guide that I have posted on other threads:

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Remember the DVLA MOT Check website is worth a look too. At that sort of money you want to be getting It HPI checked etc.

Drive a couple of the same car (year, engine, spec, mileage). Does one feel noticeably different? That should raise questions.

You can get a lot of car for 2 grand.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Online only car retailer on 09:59 - Aug 20 with 573 viewshampstead_blue

Online only seems a very new way of buying.

If I was buying a nearly new car from a main dealer, maybe.
Newcy talks about doing a lot of physical work prior. That's perfect for a car at the £2k point. That's a purchase based on 'condition'. He's spot on.

I'd want to see it first.

If you are also financing it via monthly payments, a PCP is a very good way of getting into a newer (less potential for problems and better tech etc) car. Keep renewing evey three years.
Leasing is also another great way of getting into something new/nearly new. Loads of great deals.

In short, check it over loads in person.Online? Nope. Not for me.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024