Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Changing formation to suit the players 13:02 - Mar 21 with 614 viewschrismakin

Whilst I appreciate peoples opinions on this.

Is it just me that finds it crazy that we are talking g about paid fully time professional footballers when saying they cant play a certain formation.

It's not like we are picking big old jimmy from the dog n duck.

Shouldn't it be the minimum expectation when being a footballer that you are able to be flexible and read the game well enough to be able to change formations at a drop of a hat

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Changing formation to suit the players on 16:11 - Mar 21 with 532 viewsSuperCoops

It's not as simple as that. Like doing your job. You might know it as easy as ABC. You move teams or departments (or a new system), you might still 'know' your job, but the ease and speed you adapt to it is different.

And football isn't as black or white as you make out. In the course of 90 minutes, for example, a lot changes quickly that can impact how you dicate and do your job.
Changing formation to suit the players on 16:28 - Mar 21 with 500 viewsbluefunk

It’s not the formation that’s the problem, it’s mental toughness, and a general lack of leadership on the pitch when things go wrong.
Changing formation to suit the players on 17:06 - Mar 21 with 474 viewschrismakin

Changing formation to suit the players on 16:11 - Mar 21 by SuperCoops

It's not as simple as that. Like doing your job. You might know it as easy as ABC. You move teams or departments (or a new system), you might still 'know' your job, but the ease and speed you adapt to it is different.

And football isn't as black or white as you make out. In the course of 90 minutes, for example, a lot changes quickly that can impact how you dicate and do your job.

Exactly, your reply is exactly what I wanted

It's not easy, so all these people saying just go 4 4 2, like it will suddenly make things better, I don't buy it, afterall the 4 2 3 1 is something we've basically been playing for many many months, not just when PC turned up.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Changing formation to suit the players on 17:49 - Mar 21 with 447 viewsDennyx4

Changing formation to suit the players on 17:06 - Mar 21 by chrismakin

Exactly, your reply is exactly what I wanted

It's not easy, so all these people saying just go 4 4 2, like it will suddenly make things better, I don't buy it, afterall the 4 2 3 1 is something we've basically been playing for many many months, not just when PC turned up.

There are three points to consider for me.

1) Cook has managed a 4231 for most of his managerial career, will know what players work in that system, but also know how to coach that system. He may not have the players that he wants for the required positions yet. This formation is what West Ham currently play, with Rice & Soucek as the two holding midfielders, with the three behind Antonio, asked to create, as well as support the midfield.

2) The players are used to playing Lambert's 433 - This is different to the 4231, With the 433 you only really have one defensive midfielder, with the other two centrally asked to get into both boxes. This is more similar to Liverpool's formation - The two wide players also need to be a goal threat - not hug the touchline, as we saw so many times under Lambert. Compare positions of Mane & Salah v Edwards & Judge.

3) You also need the players to have the right attributes to play the system you are playing. 4231 or 433 need the full backs to be able to get forward, other than KVY, not sure that we do. Also the lone striker has to have great movement, but also be prepared to have a physical battle - Norwood is the only one close to this at the club.

A 442 is more basic to train, and suits more of our players, can leave us short in central midfield, but suits Jackson, Parrott or Hawkins up front. Also suits Chambers, Ward or Kenlock as full backs.

I do think we will end up with 4231, as it has more benefits, but currently not sure even with the large squad that we have, that this is the best use of the players available at present.

The other worry, without Downes, we are very nice in midfield.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 17:52]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024