Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any plumbers in the house? 07:43 - Oct 14 with 1073 viewsDubtractor

I have a reasonably urgent Central heating problem (badly leaking radiator) and my usual plumber isn't returning calls.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Any plumbers in the house? on 07:54 - Oct 14 with 1039 viewsTVRBlue

I've PM'd you.
Any plumbers in the house? on 09:55 - Oct 14 with 959 viewsGuthrum

If it's leaking from the radiator itself, or from the connections at either end, turn both valves fully off (you may need pliers or grips for the one without the thremostat). Tho that won't help if leaking from the joint between the valves and the pipes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Any plumbers in the house? on 10:56 - Oct 14 with 885 viewsLeaky

Any plumbers in the house? on 09:55 - Oct 14 by Guthrum

If it's leaking from the radiator itself, or from the connections at either end, turn both valves fully off (you may need pliers or grips for the one without the thremostat). Tho that won't help if leaking from the joint between the valves and the pipes.

This
Any plumbers in the house? on 10:59 - Oct 14 with 874 viewsOldboy

It will cost you £120 to find out.
Any plumbers in the house? on 11:06 - Oct 14 with 854 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Any plumbers in the house? on 10:59 - Oct 14 by Oldboy

It will cost you £120 to find out.

And then I will have to go to Felixstowe Screwfix to go get some parts.
Any plumbers in the house? on 11:10 - Oct 14 with 848 viewsDubtractor

Any plumbers in the house? on 09:55 - Oct 14 by Guthrum

This is the case, and I tried this last night but oddly it didn't isolate the radiator and the only way to stop the leak was ultimately to drain the whole system.

So we're without heating until it is fixed, obviously not a massive issue at the moment but needs fixing soon!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Any plumbers in the house? on 11:16 - Oct 14 with 836 viewsLeaky

Any plumbers in the house? on 11:10 - Oct 14 by Dubtractor

This is the case, and I tried this last night but oddly it didn't isolate the radiator and the only way to stop the leak was ultimately to drain the whole system.

So we're without heating until it is fixed, obviously not a massive issue at the moment but needs fixing soon!

II your heating has been drained down disconnect the rad valves get 2 15mm compression end caps screw them on the pipes to the rad fill your heating up you have heat untill it is fixed. How ever before you take rad valves off open them plus open the rad vent just incase all the water has not drained.
Any plumbers in the house? on 11:26 - Oct 14 with 814 viewsEdwardStone

Any plumbers in the house? on 11:16 - Oct 14 by Leaky

II your heating has been drained down disconnect the rad valves get 2 15mm compression end caps screw them on the pipes to the rad fill your heating up you have heat untill it is fixed. How ever before you take rad valves off open them plus open the rad vent just incase all the water has not drained.

Top Tip

After draining the rad as guided above... put a bowl, cup or other container under one end and then slowly lift the radiator out of its brackets by raising the other end first

Wait for the last dribble of gungy black water to come out before completely unhooking rad

This will save the line of black drips across the carpet as you carry radiator across the room
Login to get fewer ads

Any plumbers in the house? on 12:10 - Oct 14 with 751 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Any plumbers in the house? on 11:26 - Oct 14 by EdwardStone

Top Tip

After draining the rad as guided above... put a bowl, cup or other container under one end and then slowly lift the radiator out of its brackets by raising the other end first

Wait for the last dribble of gungy black water to come out before completely unhooking rad

This will save the line of black drips across the carpet as you carry radiator across the room

Mrs Stone still on at you about that?
Any plumbers in the house? on 12:37 - Oct 14 with 729 viewsEdwardStone

Any plumbers in the house? on 12:10 - Oct 14 by BlueBlueBluex2

Mrs Stone still on at you about that?

No radiators in my home.....no carpets and indeed...no Mrs Stone

Just seen countless carpets with the tell-tail trail from radiator to door

Done a few meself in the early days before the tilt trick
Any plumbers in the house? on 12:50 - Oct 14 with 702 viewsLeaky

Any plumbers in the house? on 12:37 - Oct 14 by EdwardStone

No radiators in my home.....no carpets and indeed...no Mrs Stone

Just seen countless carpets with the tell-tail trail from radiator to door

Done a few meself in the early days before the tilt trick

Just leave the rad valves on radf tails turned off spin them round so they upside down
Any plumbers in the house? on 13:31 - Oct 14 with 647 viewsEdwardStone

Any plumbers in the house? on 12:50 - Oct 14 by Leaky

Just leave the rad valves on radf tails turned off spin them round so they upside down

Ah....but if you haven't drained down the system this might be a problem

Drained down system, ideal solution
Any plumbers in the house? on 19:45 - Oct 14 with 462 viewsronnyd

Any plumbers in the house? on 11:26 - Oct 14 by EdwardStone

Top Tip

Glad i've got warm air.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024