Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC Branches 09:29 - Nov 5 with 1655 viewspennblue

How many of the branches are running away coaches these days?

We used to have going a minimum of:

Bury St Edmunds Branch (double decker)
Clacton (50 seater coach)
Haverhill (50 seater)
Saxmundham (50 seater)
Halesworth (50 seater occasionally)

London
Sudbury
Newmarket

Am I missing something, or are these branches dead?

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

ITFC Branches on 09:31 - Nov 5 with 1637 viewsgainsboroughblue

There was one from Witham too from when I started doing away games (late 80's). Would imagine Lowestoft too.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

ITFC Branches on 09:35 - Nov 5 with 1612 viewsCoastalblue

ITFC Branches on 09:31 - Nov 5 by gainsboroughblue

There was one from Witham too from when I started doing away games (late 80's). Would imagine Lowestoft too.

I went on the Witham one about half a dozen times I think, the last time I believe was the game at Blackburn when Shearer was getting all stroppy and Wright played a blinder.

There's no easy games, except perhaps Ipswich at home.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

ITFC Branches on 09:39 - Nov 5 with 1596 viewspennblue

ITFC Branches on 09:31 - Nov 5 by gainsboroughblue

But where are they all? Have they all gone?

ITFC Branches on 10:12 - Nov 5 with 1517 viewshammo56

Clacton branch no longer runs a coach to away games but still do for home games.
ITFC Branches on 10:35 - Nov 5 with 1467 viewspennblue

ITFC Branches on 10:12 - Nov 5 by hammo56

Clacton branch no longer runs a coach to away games but still do for home games.

Whats happened though (to Clacton branch for example, but I suspect it is a similar story for other branches)? Has it just been a slow decline in numbers over the years?

ITFC Branches on 10:41 - Nov 5 with 1451 viewshammo56

ITFC Branches on 10:35 - Nov 5 by pennblue

Whats happened though (to Clacton branch for example, but I suspect it is a similar story for other branches)? Has it just been a slow decline in numbers over the years?

Just weren’t getting the numbers to make it worthwhile for away games.
Even for home games the numbers had dropped considerably although they may have picked up a bit this season.
ITFC Branches on 10:47 - Nov 5 with 1437 viewstrncbluearmy

ITFC Branches on 10:41 - Nov 5 by hammo56

Just weren’t getting the numbers to make it worthwhile for away games.
Even for home games the numbers had dropped considerably although they may have picked up a bit this season.

Ipswich home and away numbers are remarkable consistent, fans are still getting to games.
From the moment booze was banned on coaches thay were doomed as the main form of travel,train has become more and more popular it seems.
ITFC Branches on 10:54 - Nov 5 with 1422 viewsTJS

The 'Sudbury' branch reformed in 1990 as 'Long Melford 90' although it still covers Sudbury, Cornard and Boxford and runs coaches to all home league games.
We used to run a coach to a lot of away games between 1998 and 2006.
We then used to run a coach to some away games up until about 2012/2013 but haven't run any since then due to lack of numbers.
Login to get fewer ads

ITFC Branches on 10:58 - Nov 5 with 1397 viewshammo56

ITFC Branches on 10:47 - Nov 5 by trncbluearmy

Ipswich home and away numbers are remarkable consistent, fans are still getting to games.
From the moment booze was banned on coaches thay were doomed as the main form of travel,train has become more and more popular it seems.

Agree about people using the train more. I used to use the coach for home games but now go by train. Many years ago I went to all away games by coach but as I don’t do so many now use the car.
ITFC Branches on 11:02 - Nov 5 with 1377 viewsIllinoisblue

ITFC Branches on 09:39 - Nov 5 by pennblue

But where are they all? Have they all gone?

Is it simply the fact that more people have cars now?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

ITFC Branches on 11:21 - Nov 5 with 1332 viewspennblue

ITFC Branches on 11:02 - Nov 5 by Illinoisblue

Is it simply the fact that more people have cars now?

The thing is:

- Train are expensive, and often quite inefficient from getting from A to B.
- Cars are not environmentally friendly vs coaches and trains

But without active branches, you lose the community side too, and the social aspect is a huge part of going to away games.

Am I just a dinosaur and the concept of branches is now dead in this modern connected digital world we live in?

ITFC Branches on 11:27 - Nov 5 with 1304 viewstrncbluearmy

ITFC Branches on 11:21 - Nov 5 by pennblue

The thing is:

But without active branches, you lose the community side too, and the social aspect is a huge part of going to away games.

Am I just a dinosaur and the concept of branches is now dead in this modern connected digital world we live in?

Think trains are pretty good value with all the various discounts and generally pretty reliable,plenty of emphasis on the delays ignoring the majority run on time is par for the course nowadays.

Trains are extremely sociable for an away match, few beers, bit of a laugh, much better then coach
ITFC Branches on 11:50 - Nov 5 with 1280 viewsgainsboroughblue

ITFC Branches on 11:21 - Nov 5 by pennblue

The thing is:

Coaches most certainly have their place. Without those Eastern National/Galloways days, I'd have seen hardly any of the away games I went to between the ages of 15-18. A return trip to Plymouth costing £8.50 for example circa 89/90.

When I turned 18 though and wanted a good session before the game, coaches weren't helpful for that! In saying that, I went to Coventry for a mid week re-arranged game mid 90s when coach was my only option and was very excited that the coach turned up at the ground about 6pm giving me an hour and 3 quarters in the now sadly departed Mercers Arms (Sky Blue Tavern).
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 11:51]

ITFC Branches on 12:04 - Nov 5 with 1241 viewsleitrimblue

Really hope Haverhill branch still exists. Did a lot of Burton's coaches trips with um in the 80,s
ITFC Branches on 12:19 - Nov 5 with 1212 viewspennblue

ITFC Branches on 12:04 - Nov 5 by leitrimblue

Really hope Haverhill branch still exists. Did a lot of Burton's coaches trips with um in the 80,s

Haverhill had a great branch, "Haverhill, La, La, La", was always heard in the North Stand.

There was that Ginger haired fella who looked like a Mod, and his mate 'beardie', they were top singers them two.

Then we had 'savage', Juliet and Northy right at the back of the North next to the away fans. I wonder what happened to them.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 12:21]

ITFC Branches on 13:04 - Nov 5 with 1128 viewsgainsboroughblue

ITFC Branches on 12:19 - Nov 5 by pennblue

Haverhill had a great branch, "Haverhill, La, La, La", was always heard in the North Stand.

There was that Ginger haired fella who looked like a Mod, and his mate 'beardie', they were top singers them two.

Then we had 'savage', Juliet and Northy right at the back of the North next to the away fans. I wonder what happened to them.

God. I remember all of them. Great days.

Do you remember the song 'We come from Haverhill, sh***y smelly Haverhill, if you're not p***d yet, have another lager'.

Think the ginger head's name was McKenzie but that could be somebody totally different. I remember him from J block rather than the North but there's 30 odd years of muddled memories possibly at play here.

ITFC Branches on 13:15 - Nov 5 with 1111 viewsBobbychase

Our branch (South West) has been growing for a year and now has 120+ members but most travel to games independently. Plus we're spread over the West from Cornwall up to Wiltshire so any coach would have to make a gazillion stops.

We often annoy other train passengers by sitting together in a large group and drinking cider and talking nonsense.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

ITFC Branches on 13:16 - Nov 5 with 1104 viewsBobbychase

ITFC Branches on 13:04 - Nov 5 by gainsboroughblue

Do you remember the song 'We come from Haverhill, sh***y smelly Haverhill, if you're not p***d yet, have another lager'.

Think the ginger head's name was McKenzie but that could be somebody totally different. I remember him from J block rather than the North but there's 30 odd years of muddled memories possibly at play here.

Ah yes, the Sh**ty Smelly Haverhill song, great days

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

ITFC Branches on 14:00 - Nov 5 with 1048 viewsleitrimblue

ITFC Branches on 12:19 - Nov 5 by pennblue

The classic Haverhill anthem. Haverhill, la, la la Haverhill la,la,la took absolutely years to write. Could be heard in all kinds of weird places during 80,s/90,s
ITFC Branches on 14:12 - Nov 5 with 1028 viewsCoastalblue

ITFC Branches on 13:04 - Nov 5 by gainsboroughblue

I too remember them from J block, probably the Duncan era when there were probably only about 20 of us in there at times.

I remember getting a load of good natured stick after being hit by the ball one night, in my defence it hit me in the back having rebounded off the wall behind me.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024