Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I didn't watch the game today but a few thoughts on our general situation... 00:58 - Nov 24 with 683 viewstractordownsouth

We won't drop too far down the table because against the poorest teams our individual quality will drag us through games, but once we come up against another top side we usually falter. That's surely a coaching issue?

Recruitment has been another problem. Our transfer window this year was more exciting than anything we've had in the last 10 years but it got to the point where we were going after big names without any consideration as to how they'd fit in the team together (Morsy and Walton not included in that as they're clear upgrades.) As an example, I love Celina but did we really need him on top of all the other players we have in that position, especially after he hadn't played for months? We already had Chaplin whose best position is a Number 10, plus Scott Fraser who played there for MK last year. Was there any need for Penney AND Coulson, when we had Clements and Kenlock already at the club? Both are able deputies at this level, if nothing else. Injuries haven't helped, but we've had 4 different left backs start matches for us in the last month.

That's going to be difficult for any backroom staff to manage, both in terms of keeping players happy and maintaining a well-oiled system, but we've somehow got a situation where we only play 1 formation and can't adjust mid-game, yet some of the players either don't seem to know their jobs or can't do them because there's been little consistency in terms of players getting regular game-time, particularly in the 3 behind Bonne.

It's a weird comparison to make but it reminds me a little of Manchester United. They essentially threw the whole pre-season plan out of the window to sign a big name on deadline day and didn't seem to have a coherent recruitment strategy. Likewise, their expensive squad isn't anywhere near fulfilling its potential because the backroom staff has next to no coaching pedigree, but they've been bailed out by individual quality on a few occasions.

It's clear Cook is underperforming, but I'm not fully on board the #CookOut train just because I can't see a clear alternative readily available (as fun as it would be to see Warnock in charge.) However, a couple of decent coaches and a January clear-out of the deadwood is the minimum needed.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I didn't watch the game today but a few thoughts on our general situation... on 01:02 - Nov 24 with 652 viewswkj

There is a simple truth here that I think we're avoiding -

I don't think the team we have is as great as most seem to think it is. If they were that great they would be able to brute force some results without even needing a manager.

Sure, we have some great individual players in the mix, but our squad is not this amazing powerhouse of the league.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I didn't watch the game today but a few thoughts on our general situation... on 01:17 - Nov 24 with 618 viewsGarv

Out of interest when do you think we've been bailed out with individual quality?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I didn't watch the game today but a few thoughts on our general situation... on 01:34 - Nov 24 with 580 viewstractordownsouth

I didn't watch the game today but a few thoughts on our general situation... on 01:17 - Nov 24 by Garv

Out of interest when do you think we've been bailed out with individual quality?

Chaplin and Celina v Fleetwood, Bonne v Shrewsbury. We played well in the Wycombe/Pompey/Doncaster matches, but can't think of any other results that have been achieved due to top team performances, even if we've been unfortunate sometimes.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I didn't watch the game today but a few thoughts on our general situation... on 12:08 - Nov 24 with 307 viewsGarv

I didn't watch the game today but a few thoughts on our general situation... on 01:34 - Nov 24 by tractordownsouth

Chaplin and Celina v Fleetwood, Bonne v Shrewsbury. We played well in the Wycombe/Pompey/Doncaster matches, but can't think of any other results that have been achieved due to top team performances, even if we've been unfortunate sometimes.

Really?

Evans putting a pinpoint cross-field pass into the path of JD who puts it onto a plate for Celina to score after a patient build up is individual quality? Even Chaplin scoring a fairly routine shot from the edge of the box, impressive though it was, doesn't fall under that bracket. Bonne scoring a glancing header at the near post from a corner?

If these are examples of individual quality then Paul Cook deserves no credit whatsoever for any of the goals we've scored this season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024