Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tragic news at ACoN 22:17 - Jan 24 with 754 viewsSamuelowen88

BBC News - Africa Cup of Nations: Deadly crush reported at Cameroon stadium
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60120367

But the game went ahead!?!?
[Post edited 24 Jan 2022 22:18]

Poll: England v Wales Score

Tragic news at ACoN on 22:21 - Jan 24 with 686 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Terrible news.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Tragic news at ACoN on 22:39 - Jan 24 with 611 viewsbluelagos

Horrible news.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Tragic news at ACoN on 10:32 - Jan 25 with 421 viewsWeWereZombies

As did the Liverpool v Juventus game all those years ago. There may have been a public order consideration for the tie to be over and for crowds to disperse rather than have thousands milling around for many hours and emotions about the crush getting the better of people resulting in further disturbances. Lagos may have a better perspective on this, obviously.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Tragic news at ACoN on 10:45 - Jan 25 with 393 viewsbluelagos

Tragic news at ACoN on 10:32 - Jan 25 by WeWereZombies

As did the Liverpool v Juventus game all those years ago. There may have been a public order consideration for the tie to be over and for crowds to disperse rather than have thousands milling around for many hours and emotions about the crush getting the better of people resulting in further disturbances. Lagos may have a better perspective on this, obviously.

Think the EC final at Heysel was played because they feared more public disorder. It had been caused by fan violence so you can see the thinking and they had to make an immediate decision.

Last nights match - I know no more than any other distant observer. I do know that talk of a "stampede" (as reported by at least one overseas journo) is extremely unhelpful especially given that the facts are yet to be established.

I also know (I worked in Cameroon for 3 months in late 2005) that the country doesn't have a fair democracy and is a borderline dictatorship. Biya has been in power close to 40 years I think, he even at one point tried to hold an election with just one party.

On that basis, I won't be expecting a fair investigation being held and will take anything from public officials with a dollop of salt. I suspect the full facts will never be established unless there is clear cctv/phone coverage of events from start to finish (which I doubt)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024