Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Slow and safe / Fast and risky 21:59 - Apr 19 with 710 viewsjayessess

Noticed a weird thing about our tempo tonight and it reminded me of the Oxford game.

When we're chasing a result our passing is often slow and risk averse. We pass from left to right, back to the left, back to the right, searching for a better opportunity to put a ball in (which usually never comes). We turn down crossing opportunities, we turn down shooting opportunities, we recycle the ball endlessly.

Then when we're winning, like tonight and Oxford, we're suddenly trying to get the ball forward quickly, trying ambitious flicks and early through balls, doing everything a million miles an hour, surrendering possession quickly.

Should it not be the other way round?!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Slow and safe / Fast and risky on 22:18 - Apr 19 with 603 viewsHullblue

Ideally yes, but I think a lot of that has to do with game state. If we’re chasing a result the other team sits back so we need to be patient and look for an opening. If we’re not then they’re chasing the ball and rushing us.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Slow and safe / Fast and risky on 22:21 - Apr 19 with 580 viewsjayessess

Slow and safe / Fast and risky on 22:18 - Apr 19 by Hullblue

Ideally yes, but I think a lot of that has to do with game state. If we’re chasing a result the other team sits back so we need to be patient and look for an opening. If we’re not then they’re chasing the ball and rushing us.

a bit? I do feel like we're also go searching a bit hard for counter attacks when we're up sometimes. It's not like teams don't press us at 0-0, but we have a bit of patience when playing through them.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Slow and safe / Fast and risky on 23:34 - Apr 19 with 462 viewsGarv

There's got to be a better balance.

The argument that while we're passing the ball around for fun the oppo can't score is valid, but we're also not scoring while passing it around the halfway line. I found myself saying numerous times tonight "not too much, not too much". It's great to watch sometimes, it really is. But we overplay it.

That said, we got the second goal by sticking the ball in the box and getting on the end of it, so fair play. If we can do that more often then we're into something good (oh yeah).

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024