Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we really need another striker? 11:42 - Aug 14 with 1310 viewsDJR

We will probably get one in the end, but looking at the way we've been playing this season, I was wondering if we really need one. We don't play balls in the air in the hope a big lump will get on the end of them. And we now seem to have the ability to attack down both left and right. We are also getting more people in the box, and when we get to the by-line tend to play the ball back rather than to the more advanced main striker. This means the main striker is in some ways a decoy to free up space for others, rather than someone we are pinning all our hopes on.
Do we really need another striker? on 11:43 - Aug 14 with 1302 viewsSimonds92

Yes.
Do we really need another striker? on 11:56 - Aug 14 with 1230 viewsDJR

Do we really need another striker? on 11:43 - Aug 14 by Simonds92

Yes.

I agree in the sense that we perhaps don't have a like-for-like replacement for Ladapo, but I still feel MdK's system does not rely on or favour a 20 goal a season striker. Instead, the system shares the goals around, which has been the case so far. Much more important to me would be to sort out set-pieces, as that's definitely one area we could benefit from, particularly in tight games.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 11:57]
Do we really need another striker? on 11:58 - Aug 14 with 1230 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

We need someone else to join the pack. Ladapo looks a handful. JJ looks exciting too, but unlikely to get a full season out of him or Jackson based on their injury record. I'm never fully convinced by Jackson but he seems to be in a better place and I think he'll offer something.

Once the games start coming thick and fast we would regret not having a fourth option. Though it's great to have goals throughout the side, a consistent goal threat would make us hard to bet against.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Do we really need another striker? on 12:05 - Aug 14 with 1214 viewsDJR

Do we really need another striker? on 11:58 - Aug 14 by SlippinJimmyJuan

We need someone else to join the pack. Ladapo looks a handful. JJ looks exciting too, but unlikely to get a full season out of him or Jackson based on their injury record. I'm never fully convinced by Jackson but he seems to be in a better place and I think he'll offer something.

Once the games start coming thick and fast we would regret not having a fourth option. Though it's great to have goals throughout the side, a consistent goal threat would make us hard to bet against.

The thing is if you looked at Ladapo yesterday he didn't really get much in the way of service because that doesn't seem the way we are set up to play. Indeed, I wonder how many 20 goal-a-season strikers play as a lone striker.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 12:44]
Do we really need another striker? on 12:09 - Aug 14 with 1183 viewsSimonds92

Do we really need another striker? on 11:56 - Aug 14 by DJR

I agree in the sense that we perhaps don't have a like-for-like replacement for Ladapo, but I still feel MdK's system does not rely on or favour a 20 goal a season striker. Instead, the system shares the goals around, which has been the case so far. Much more important to me would be to sort out set-pieces, as that's definitely one area we could benefit from, particularly in tight games.

We flashed 3 or 4 balls across the box yesterday with nobody taking the chance to get on the end of it and poke it home. In tight games that could be the difference. We need someone who can be part of the interplay, creating space for those in behind but who is also a natural poacher.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 12:11]
Do we really need another striker? on 12:24 - Aug 14 with 1102 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Do we really need another striker? on 12:09 - Aug 14 by Simonds92

We flashed 3 or 4 balls across the box yesterday with nobody taking the chance to get on the end of it and poke it home. In tight games that could be the difference. We need someone who can be part of the interplay, creating space for those in behind but who is also a natural poacher.

Yep, that's basically what I was going to say in reply to DJR.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Do we really need another striker? on 12:38 - Aug 14 with 1035 viewsSheffordBlue

All the forward players are trying to occupy space in the box for the pullbacks that we've been successful with so far. It really needs one of them to get closer to the line for the balls that flash straight across. Think it's more of a coaching/understanding issue rather than not having the right player in the club.

Do still think we need another strong striker to do the kind of stuff that Ladapo has been doing really well so far.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Do we really need another striker? on 12:48 - Aug 14 with 974 viewsDJR

Now that we are getting more players into the box, the issue for me is the crossing which for some players (eg. Burns) is very hit and miss. Yesterday, I am sure we hit at least three crosses completely over all the players in the box, and others were not aimed at those in the box. The thing is that some of our players don't look up before crossing, so perhaps it's not surprising. The honourable exceptions are Donacien and Jackson who do tend to look up and show more composure when crossing. Having said all this, I think our crossing has improved, and will hopefully continue to do so as the season progresses.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 12:50]
Login to get fewer ads

Do we really need another striker? on 16:58 - Aug 14 with 801 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Harness: 2 goals in 3 games. Keep that up and it's 30 goals.
I can easily see Harness getting 20, agree that the way we play, the lone striker (Ladapo / JJ) is more of a decoy, hell we were pressing so high yesterday we were pressing their goalkeeper every time there was a backpass.
Add in Chappers getting 15, Burns 12, Morsy 10, Ladapo 10, Jackson 10, and then a few each from JJ, Aluko, Evans, Leigh.....
Another striker would be lovely, but a bit of a luxury maybe. This team already has goals in it and lots of them.

Poll: would you rather

Do we really need another striker? on 17:00 - Aug 14 with 788 viewstextbackup

Yes, because if ladapo gets injured it’s fcking Jackson

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Do we really need another striker? on 17:23 - Aug 14 with 751 viewsSimonds92

Do we really need another striker? on 16:58 - Aug 14 by LegendofthePhoenix

Harness: 2 goals in 3 games. Keep that up and it's 30 goals.
I can easily see Harness getting 20, agree that the way we play, the lone striker (Ladapo / JJ) is more of a decoy, hell we were pressing so high yesterday we were pressing their goalkeeper every time there was a backpass.
Add in Chappers getting 15, Burns 12, Morsy 10, Ladapo 10, Jackson 10, and then a few each from JJ, Aluko, Evans, Leigh.....
Another striker would be lovely, but a bit of a luxury maybe. This team already has goals in it and lots of them.

You can easily see Harness scoring 20 goals? When his most prolific stint comes at Portsmouth where he scored 24 goals in 113 games? Honestly this fanbase is insane, Tuesday night we're the worst team anyone has ever seen, now we're going to be completely free scoring and a 3rd striker would be a luxury (JJ is not an out and out striker feom what I've seen of him). No other team is likely to come to PR and try to play apart from possibly Derby. We saw it plenty of times last season where Chaplin Celina and Aluko were playing their football in the middle 3rd and we were unable to create much. We need someone who can just pop up with a goal when teams sit back giving us nothing in the final 3rd. I just don't think we have that player in our squad
Do we really need another striker? on 17:25 - Aug 14 with 749 viewsibbleobble

Do we really need another striker? on 11:56 - Aug 14 by DJR

…until we lose a couple or register a couple of back-to-back blanks and then the system will be a poor one and we’ll desperately need a 20+ goal striker. I expect this narrative will play out all season as it has been since June!
Do we really need another striker? on 17:27 - Aug 14 with 735 viewstextbackup

IMO we need someone like what norwich had in Simone Jackson (think that was his name)
Mainly a forward that came off the bench, but got 12/15 goals, many matching winning too.

If we are in a situation where plan A isn’t having the desired effect, plan B to come on

Do we really need another striker? on 17:55 - Aug 14 with 662 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Do we really need another striker? on 17:23 - Aug 14 by Simonds92

You can easily see Harness scoring 20 goals? When his most prolific stint comes at Portsmouth where he scored 24 goals in 113 games? Honestly this fanbase is insane, Tuesday night we're the worst team anyone has ever seen, now we're going to be completely free scoring and a 3rd striker would be a luxury (JJ is not an out and out striker feom what I've seen of him). No other team is likely to come to PR and try to play apart from possibly Derby. We saw it plenty of times last season where Chaplin Celina and Aluko were playing their football in the middle 3rd and we were unable to create much. We need someone who can just pop up with a goal when teams sit back giving us nothing in the final 3rd. I just don't think we have that player in our squad

I will happily come back to this post at the end of the season. McKenna has already said he wants to see gaols from all over, and clearly that's how we are playing. Another striker, if we get one which we probably will, is more to cover and interchange with Ladapo. I'm not sure if JJ can play that role, haven't seen enough of him and he does seem a bit raw.

Poll: would you rather

Do we really need another striker? on 18:11 - Aug 14 with 603 viewsWhos_blue

Really not looking for a row, but wasn't Harness's goal just that?
A true poacher's goal just "poked home"?
Fair enough there might be some argument for cover, but I'm not sure the mythical 20 goal a season striker is even the type of striker KM wants. Our game seems more about fluidity and all round shape, than "get the striker on the end of it".
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 18:20]

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Do we really need another striker? on 18:12 - Aug 14 with 593 viewstextbackup

Do we really need another striker? on 18:11 - Aug 14 by Whos_blue

Really not looking for a row, but wasn't Harness's goal just that?
A true poacher's goal just "poked home"?
Fair enough there might be some argument for cover, but I'm not sure the mythical 20 goal a season striker is even the type of striker KM wants. Our game seems more about fluidity and all round shape, than "get the striker on the end of it".
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 18:20]

I’m pretty sure KMc said it was his favourite goal of the day, because MH followed up on the shot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024