Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question 10:31 - Jul 17 with 1967 viewsKeno

If I know the start value of something was say £100,000 and 5 years later it was worth £140,000 what I the excel formula for working out the annualise rate of growth

Ta xx
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 10:31]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:33 - Jul 17 with 1903 viewsnoggin

The square root of 4 is 2, if that helps.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:37 - Jul 17 with 1873 viewsKeno

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:33 - Jul 17 by noggin

The square root of 4 is 2, if that helps.

I think it may involve Duckworth Lewis

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:38 - Jul 17 with 1863 viewsDubtractor

The net present value formula (npv) will probably help for this.

[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 10:41]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:41 - Jul 17 with 1839 viewsKeno

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:38 - Jul 17 by Dubtractor

The net present value formula (npv) will probably help for this.

[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 10:41]

ok Dubs, I know this may be difficult but just for the purposes of this assume I am a complete idiot ...

whats the The net present value formula (nov)?

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:44 - Jul 17 with 1823 viewsDubtractor

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:41 - Jul 17 by Keno

ok Dubs, I know this may be difficult but just for the purposes of this assume I am a complete idiot ...

whats the The net present value formula (nov)?

Should have said npv not Nov.

Net present value tells you what something is worth in real terms over a time period. Eg 100 quid in 5 years time won't be worth the same as 100 quid now. I'm thinking some reverse engineering of the formula may help solve your challenge.

But it might not. Possibly there is a simpler growth formula you can use.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:45 - Jul 17 with 1822 viewsiamatractorboy

Assume you mean the average growth as a percentage per annum?

This would be, using your example, ((140000/100000)V(1/5))-1, format it as a percentage. Substitute other numbers as required for starting amount, current amount and years.

The V is meant to be that character you get when you do shift and 6 which looks like an upside down V, can't seem to do it on my phone!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 10:46]
Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:54 - Jul 17 with 1777 viewsWeWereZombies

There is a formula in this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_present_value

So if PV = £140,000 and t = 5 then i is 12% I reckon, decent investment.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:04 - Jul 17 with 1717 viewsKeno

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 10:44 - Jul 17 by Dubtractor

Should have said npv not Nov.

Net present value tells you what something is worth in real terms over a time period. Eg 100 quid in 5 years time won't be worth the same as 100 quid now. I'm thinking some reverse engineering of the formula may help solve your challenge.

But it might not. Possibly there is a simpler growth formula you can use.

thanks

you can stop thinking Im a complete idiot now

Login to get fewer ads

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:06 - Jul 17 with 1701 viewsDanTheMan

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:04 - Jul 17 by Keno

thanks

you can stop thinking Im a complete idiot now

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/021115/what-formula-calculating-net-pre

If it helps.

I once had to implement TWR (Time Weighted Rate of Return) for investment stuff, that was really "fun".

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:09 - Jul 17 with 1681 viewsWeWereZombies

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:06 - Jul 17 by DanTheMan

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/021115/what-formula-calculating-net-pre

If it helps.

I once had to implement TWR (Time Weighted Rate of Return) for investment stuff, that was really "fun".

Blimey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-weighted_return

Was it McGoldrick or Emyr Huws injury record you were working on...

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:16 - Jul 17 with 1648 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

You're looking at an assumed average, without the incremental annual values
Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:27 - Jul 17 with 1613 viewsWeWereZombies

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:16 - Jul 17 by Bury_St_Edmundson

That's how I took it, not as re-investing the £112,000 at 12% at the end of year one. You would end up with £176,234 at the end of five years doing that.

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:31 - Jul 17 with 1584 viewsKeno

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:16 - Jul 17 by Bury_St_Edmundson

I was trying to work out what the annualised return was

If something has grow by a total of 40% over 5 years what would the annualised return be

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:36 - Jul 17 with 1565 viewsGogs

If you enter Y0 to Y5 in cells A1 to F1 and 100000 in A2 and your year end values (if known) in A2 to F2 (just 140000 in F2 will suffice though), in a blank cell, e.g. A5 enter the following:
=(F2/A2)^(1/(6-1))-1
This will give you your answer of 0.06961, i.e. roughly 7%
You can check this by entering 100000 in cell A3, then in B3 entering:
=A3+($A$5+A3)
And copying across to F3, and you’ll see yearly incremental figures ending at 140000 at Y5

Cheers 😁
Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:49 - Jul 17 with 1517 viewsDanTheMan

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 11:09 - Jul 17 by WeWereZombies

Blimey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-weighted_return

Was it McGoldrick or Emyr Huws injury record you were working on...

I wish it were something that fun!

What really made it fun was that the calculation doesn't consider the intricacies of how dividends work. In particular that the date the dividend is issued isn't the date that the money arrives in a portfolio, there's usually a few days in lag there (say T+3).

So what happened with annoying frequency is people had large portfolios and were issued dividends, then between the issue date the and payment date they'd withdraw a large chunk of it, and then they'd be paid. When they got paid, it looked like they had enormous returns when that isn't really what happened. Was very annoying to sort out as we didn't have enough information at the time I wrote it, so we didn't know precisely how much of a dividend they'd get, especially taking into account currency conversions.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 12:11 - Jul 17 with 1464 viewsfishbait1985

Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) tells you how much growth would need to occur each year.

Here's a calculator:

https://cagrcalculator.net/result/

In excel use RRI formula which needs Years, Start and End so your formula would be: =RRI(5,100,140)

In this case a fund that starts at £100k and ends at £140k over 5 years would return 6.9% every year
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 12:14]
Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 12:42 - Jul 17 with 1387 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

Any geeky nerds about I've an excel question on 12:11 - Jul 17 by fishbait1985

Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) tells you how much growth would need to occur each year.

Here's a calculator:

https://cagrcalculator.net/result/

In excel use RRI formula which needs Years, Start and End so your formula would be: =RRI(5,100,140)

In this case a fund that starts at £100k and ends at £140k over 5 years would return 6.9% every year
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 12:14]

Excel - Goal Seek

start cell (a1) 100,000
% change (a2) 1
then
B1 = a1*$a$2
drag/copy b1 to c1,d1,e1, f1 (so you have 5 "years"

then
Data -> What-if analysis - Goal Seek

set cell: $F$1
to Value: 140,000
by changing cell: $A$1