Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sorry 15:04 - Feb 26 with 1137 viewsflykickingbybgunn

I always feel sorry for Liverpool/Man Utd/City/Arsenal/Chelsea etc supporters. They miss out on so much. 

What I mean by that is when they win something they are of course happy. But that high is considerably lowered by the fact that they expected to win it. Meaning their highs were relatively fairly low.

A bit like mountaineering in Norfolk. 

I remember speaking to an Arsenal supporter on the day after they had just won the FA Cup for the second year running. I congratulated him and all he could do was run Arsene Wenger down. Not even made happy by the win see, or not for more than 12 hours anyway.  And why was he so unhappy ?    Because they had not won the league that year.   The lows can come very high to some.

On the other hand their lows are very deep. Look at all the misery in the red half of Manchester at the moment. They are very unhappy at being down at 5th/6th/7th. And as for Chelsea the gloom just keeps on coming even though they are mid table.   And Everton .... ha, ha.  Dont get me on Everton .....

Other clubs for instance, such as Town, Maidstone or even the Budgies our highs are up there. They are far beyond what the big 6 supporters could even imagine. I was there at Wembley when we beat the Arsenal 1-0 (Hit the woodwork 3 times, I could tell you the team even now). I was metaphorically having to be scraped off the ceiling for months. I remember going to the pub that Christmas and suddenly remembering we were the Cup holders and giving a fist pump.

Those who came to us from Maidstone will remember that particular match for the rest of their lives and that was only the 4th round ! Their highs are so much higher and as for the potential low of losing to us they would still have remembered that with pride and as a great day out.

All football teams have their ups and downs. That is as it should be. But if a dispassionate supporter was to sit and decide "Who am I going to follow" they would be better off choosing Mansfield over Man Utd, Lincoln over Liverpool and Colchester over Chelsea.

One final thing. We met two Arsenal supporters on the train. They were coming back from the lunch time match. They had to enter a ballot to get the vastly overpriced tickets somewhere at the back of the stadium. They had paid for the train from Lowestoft/match tickets/grub/tinnies and I would expect they did not have a lot of change from £200 each.

They would have been much better off going to watch the Trawler Boys for a tenner, have a few beers in the clubhouse (Trawlerboys Bitter) and a pie. Watch the match from wherever they want, confident that if they wanted to question the refs parentage that he could hear them. After the match back to the clubhouse where they could actually talk to the Team/Manager/Chairman. Or better, get involved with the club and do as some do at that level and get onto the spare seats of the team coach on away games.    So much more fulfilling. And the highs are higher and the lows are just life.

Good luck to Maidstone tonight
Sorry on 15:17 - Feb 26 with 1059 viewsJ2BLUE

Couldn't agree more. A team like Maidstone getting to round 5 of the cup is far more interesting than City winning the CL.

A massive achievement in theory for City but felt like they had merely mad par with the squad they have.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sorry on 15:26 - Feb 26 with 1004 viewsIllinoisblue

Sorry on 15:17 - Feb 26 by J2BLUE

Couldn't agree more. A team like Maidstone getting to round 5 of the cup is far more interesting than City winning the CL.

A massive achievement in theory for City but felt like they had merely mad par with the squad they have.

It’s infinitely more interesting, certainly. But have to disagree with the OP; every fanbase has different expectation of what success is. Doesn’t mean when success comes it’s any less enjoyable.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sorry on 15:48 - Feb 26 with 918 viewsMeadowlark

Do they have Trawlerboys on cask in the clubhouse?
That might change when Tim opens the Havelock!!
Sorry on 16:01 - Feb 26 with 883 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Sorry on 15:48 - Feb 26 by Meadowlark

Do they have Trawlerboys on cask in the clubhouse?
That might change when Tim opens the Havelock!!

Yes Trawlerboys on cask. When does the Havelock open and what sort of pub is it going to be ? Beer lead, food lead or one for the sports ?
Sorry on 16:18 - Feb 26 with 850 viewsRadioOrwell

I'm still on a high from 6-0 Exeter.
No exageration.
Sorry on 16:33 - Feb 26 with 814 viewsMeadowlark

Sorry on 16:01 - Feb 26 by flykickingbybgunn

Yes Trawlerboys on cask. When does the Havelock open and what sort of pub is it going to be ? Beer lead, food lead or one for the sports ?

It's a Green Jack pub, so I guess it will be beer.....

No idea when it opens but they've been posting a few upgrade pictures on socials....
Sorry on 16:40 - Feb 26 with 769 viewsWeWereZombies

Sorry on 16:33 - Feb 26 by Meadowlark

No idea when it opens but they've been posting a few upgrade pictures on socials....

I don't want to piss on your chips but at one point Green Jack did a Canary IPA...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Sorry on 17:22 - Feb 26 with 663 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Sorry on 16:33 - Feb 26 by Meadowlark

Of course it would be Green Jack. It's right next to the brewery. I 've seen Canary, but not for a while. A very light, pale beer as you would expect. The Ripper on the other hand .....
Login to get fewer ads

Sorry on 17:26 - Feb 26 with 653 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That explains why norwich fans celebrate winning a match in Germany and not being beaten by us for a decade so enthusiastically, I guess.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024