Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Integration 07:39 - May 29 with 1451 viewsnoggin

Regardless of your views on immigration, I'm sure we are all agreed that there is a problem with integration in some areas of the UK. Is the UK doing enough to integrate immigrants into society.
Some of you might think I hold Norway up as some kind of utopia but, of course, it's not. With a population of around 5 million, it cannot be compared with the UK but I do feel more is done here with regards to integration.
All immigrants, including EU nationals, who move to Norway must complete at least 300 hours of Norwegian lessons before passing an exam to prove that they are able to speak and read basic Norwegian. During the course, students are taken to museums, national celebrations and other local places of interest to learn about the culture. They are encouraged to go in small groups and try to use the skills they are learning. For example, we were challenged to go into town and ask random strangers for help with directions etc. During school holidays, students are given community work to do where they meet local residents on a daily basis.
Upon completion of the basic course, students are invited to continue to the next level which qualifies them to apply for university courses.
Of course, this costs money but surely it is an investment in society and I do not see how it is not a win win for everyone. Thoughts?
[Post edited 29 May 2017 7:41]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Integration on 07:43 - May 29 with 1422 viewsBergholtBru

I would agree with that.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Integration on 08:05 - May 29 with 1386 viewsgordon

Certainly sounds excellent. I think we'd have Daily Mail headlines 'YOUR TAX MONEY spent on immigrant parties!'

etc.

The sad truth is that we don't have strong/brave enough politicians in the UK to do things like this; the right-wing media would have them for breakfast. We're stuck now in a cycle of 'crackdowns' against various nebulous concepts/groups of people, I'm afraid.
Integration on 08:09 - May 29 with 1367 viewshomer_123

All far too sensible Noggin, joking aside makes sense doesn't it.

The flip side of course is something called personal responsibility...people should want to learn the basics, customs etc. That doesn't mean they lose their own customs but merely understand the locals.

That being said...most Brits that are on the Costa hardly integrate.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Integration on 08:24 - May 29 with 1328 viewsGlasgowBlue

Integration on 08:05 - May 29 by gordon

Certainly sounds excellent. I think we'd have Daily Mail headlines 'YOUR TAX MONEY spent on immigrant parties!'

etc.

The sad truth is that we don't have strong/brave enough politicians in the UK to do things like this; the right-wing media would have them for breakfast. We're stuck now in a cycle of 'crackdowns' against various nebulous concepts/groups of people, I'm afraid.

The government is working with Refugee Action to give free English lessons to all Syrian migrants arriving in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/03/english-lessons-syrian-refugees

Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, there is a two year waiting list for migrants from other countries. That can't help as the first few years are very important when trying to settle in a new country.

Perhaps a review of how we can intergrate migrants better, as part of a wider review into security, will see funding returned and cuts found elesewhere.
[Post edited 29 May 2017 8:24]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Integration on 10:25 - May 29 with 1217 viewsWeWereZombies

Why do you pick on random strangers and give them help with directions? Surely they would be better placed to help you with directions?

OK, this all sounds good and I reckon it would be workable in Scotland, especially the Highlands (when I give hitchhikers, often from Eastern Europe, a lift I sometimes get told how much friendlier we are than further south). I am not so sure the comments about right wing media condemning it would always be true - I can see some left wing critics saying it would be patronising and that community work would be too much like community service given to offenders. Whichever side the criticism came from it would be unhelpful and blindsiding an issue that needs to be tackled.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Integration on 10:31 - May 29 with 1202 viewsNo9

Integration on 08:05 - May 29 by gordon

etc.

Today in the UK we have politicians and politico's who are by & large parochial & have not spent enough time at a real workplace or, in the wider world.
How many in English politics today come out of Uni, go into some think tank then into mainstream politics = far too many.
In parliament they sit and play with their electrical gadgets and only lift their heads when the whips tell them how to vote.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024