Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PPI 15:41 - Sep 4 with 6210 viewsFather_Jack

Has anyone used a third party to investigate whether they have been entitled to a PPI refund - and been happy with the service provided?

Any recommendations gratefully received thanks.

Less is more.

PPI on 16:00 - Sep 4 with 6185 viewssoupytwist

Some info here

PPI by bluejake78 31 May 2017 14:37
How can anyone get in a situation that they don't know what they are paying for?

My wife's currently got a claim form from Allansons but hasn't sent it back yet
PPI on 16:03 - Sep 4 with 6177 viewsSE1blue

Most people I know have done it themselves and it's not been too tricky.

I'm trying to do one myself for an old mortgage with the Abbey National (now Santander) and because I don't have any paperwork, Santander are claiming they don't either.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

PPI on 16:13 - Sep 4 with 6161 viewsGogs

They're all much the same, and if you've paid PPI they'll get it back for you in most instances. I've used them for old credit cards where I wasn't sure if I had PPI or not. They'll let you know if they can't find anything. I got about £300 back this way.

However if you know the provider you had PPI with go onto money saving expert and download their generic PPI claim form and do it yourself. You'll keep all the refund that way. I did this with Lloyds and got nearly £4700 back for the sake of an hour filling in a form. The only thing you need to think about is why you believe you were mis-sold PPI. It shouldn't be difficult to come up with a valid reason. My payment consisted of about £1800 PPI, about the same again in compensation, and the rest was compounded interest at about 8%. It was well worth doing.
PPI on 16:24 - Sep 4 with 6132 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

I went with Allansons for a claim; currently Lloyds have denied mis selling me PPI on a mortgage and I've requested a review from the financial ombudsmen. Waiting to hear about a Lloyds credit card and a Santander mortgage; I suspect they'll end up with the ombudsman too.
PPI on 16:26 - Sep 4 with 6124 viewsBluestar

Contact the FOS. Why pay a fee when they'll do it for nothing (they charge the bank). Or contact the bank.

Edit: should point out that I used to work in the PPI part of the FOS.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 16:27]
PPI on 16:43 - Sep 4 with 6078 viewsFather_Jack

PPI on 16:26 - Sep 4 by Bluestar

Contact the FOS. Why pay a fee when they'll do it for nothing (they charge the bank). Or contact the bank.

Edit: should point out that I used to work in the PPI part of the FOS.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 16:27]

Thanks all. I don't have a credit card now but used to change them regularly to take advantage of the interest repayment holidays. No idea who they were all with. Had an Abbey National Mortgage too.

Appreciate all the good advice and will take on board, cheers.

Less is more.

PPI on 16:50 - Sep 4 with 6057 viewssoupytwist

PPI on 16:43 - Sep 4 by Father_Jack

Thanks all. I don't have a credit card now but used to change them regularly to take advantage of the interest repayment holidays. No idea who they were all with. Had an Abbey National Mortgage too.

Appreciate all the good advice and will take on board, cheers.

Martin Lewis was on 5 Live earlier. He said that you can get details of your previous lenders by getting a copy of your credit history. I'm not sure how you do that but if you go to moneysavingexpert.com I'm sure there will be instructions on how to do that.
PPI on 19:27 - Sep 4 with 5939 viewsbritbiker

I used to be an IFA and have never had a credit card and know I had never had ppi, however I got so fed up with claim firms lying to me stating I had a claim that I sent forms in just to waist their time. I was right, I had no valid claim. That said I do know people who were rubbish with their finances and they got back thousands. Ironic really
Login to get fewer ads

PPI on 20:52 - Sep 4 with 5875 viewsMJallday

PPI on 16:03 - Sep 4 by SE1blue

Most people I know have done it themselves and it's not been too tricky.

I'm trying to do one myself for an old mortgage with the Abbey National (now Santander) and because I don't have any paperwork, Santander are claiming they don't either.

i did it myself. got 9k back from 2 companies- much better than these companys taking a 30% slice

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

PPI on 21:14 - Sep 4 with 5847 viewsbariotneblue

Do it yourself. I got about £6k back. All I did was contact Lloyds and I didn't even need to print off the template letter as they already have a complaints procedure in place (they're pretty used to it). You then fill out a form which they will send to you and then leave it to them. It takes a bit of time but very little effort to get this sorted and it will save you 40% of your compensation as these thrid party companies take that much!
PPI on 23:11 - Sep 4 with 5747 viewsBluespeed225

Unite did it for me, a Halifax mortgage from 89' was all they could find that i might be owed on. I tried to blag it with the investigator from the Halifax, trying to remember what I earnt or had in savings 28 years ago! Unsuprisingly, I got nowt....
PPI on 23:19 - Sep 4 with 5742 viewsjeera

PPI on 19:27 - Sep 4 by britbiker

I used to be an IFA and have never had a credit card and know I had never had ppi, however I got so fed up with claim firms lying to me stating I had a claim that I sent forms in just to waist their time. I was right, I had no valid claim. That said I do know people who were rubbish with their finances and they got back thousands. Ironic really

Thing is mis sold. No connection to being bad with money.

Some people didn't even know they had it.

Others had it forced upon them.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

PPI on 23:21 - Sep 4 with 5738 viewsjeera

PPI on 16:13 - Sep 4 by Gogs

They're all much the same, and if you've paid PPI they'll get it back for you in most instances. I've used them for old credit cards where I wasn't sure if I had PPI or not. They'll let you know if they can't find anything. I got about £300 back this way.

However if you know the provider you had PPI with go onto money saving expert and download their generic PPI claim form and do it yourself. You'll keep all the refund that way. I did this with Lloyds and got nearly £4700 back for the sake of an hour filling in a form. The only thing you need to think about is why you believe you were mis-sold PPI. It shouldn't be difficult to come up with a valid reason. My payment consisted of about £1800 PPI, about the same again in compensation, and the rest was compounded interest at about 8%. It was well worth doing.

"about the same again in compensation, and the rest was compounded interest at about 8%. "

I reclaimed years ago but have since been told about compensation like it's a new thing.

Can you share any light on this you think?

PPI on 23:45 - Sep 4 with 5698 viewsbritbiker

PPI on 23:19 - Sep 4 by jeera

Thing is mis sold. No connection to being bad with money.

Some people didn't even know they had it.

Others had it forced upon them.

never said it was wrong. Glad the companies had to compensate. Not sure i get some of the figures through as the ppi was only a small part of the loan and some of the refunds were very large in comparison,

Whilst working as a tied agent i remember the company trying to get us to sell redundancy cover to everyone even though those who were self employed would have very little chance of ever being able to claim. Fortunately we all refused to sell the policies and shortly after they e=were dropped.

Even the Government are not clean in this respect. I have seen a case where they tried to get a friend of mine to pay voluntary National Insurance premiums just prior to his retirement, even though upon investigation he already had paid sufficient stamps to receive his full state pension. They would have been quite happy to collect extra NI even though no extra pension was due.
PPI on 23:58 - Sep 4 with 5688 viewsjeera

PPI on 23:45 - Sep 4 by britbiker

never said it was wrong. Glad the companies had to compensate. Not sure i get some of the figures through as the ppi was only a small part of the loan and some of the refunds were very large in comparison,

Whilst working as a tied agent i remember the company trying to get us to sell redundancy cover to everyone even though those who were self employed would have very little chance of ever being able to claim. Fortunately we all refused to sell the policies and shortly after they e=were dropped.

Even the Government are not clean in this respect. I have seen a case where they tried to get a friend of mine to pay voluntary National Insurance premiums just prior to his retirement, even though upon investigation he already had paid sufficient stamps to receive his full state pension. They would have been quite happy to collect extra NI even though no extra pension was due.

To maybe answer in some part. Just an example.

Small business has overdraft. As you know an overdraft is an 'on demand' form of lending. Most firms run one tbf and it's normal.

Bank says we want our money, (out of the blue - no reason; they don't have to offer one) but are happy to put it onto a loan. Loan comes with a caveat though. You can only have said loan if you take on PPI. Except, being self-employed you're not necessarily covered by the t&c anyway. But irrelevant really. It was mis sold either way. Forced, blackmail really.

Point is, it was common practice for many years for the big banks to licence themselves to this with no repercussions. Until recently.

They knew they had no leg to stand on as it was dodgy from the start.

PPI on 09:01 - Sep 5 with 5575 viewsgosblue

I was told by RBS that I had to have PPI for a loan (Mis-sold) but it did not have to be their own. I took out theirs for simplicity. I spoke to RBS who gave me the number of an RBS call centre. 2 or 3 weeks later I had £3.5k paid into my account. I guess if I'd have taken out PPI with a third party, I would have been looking for compensation from RBS rather than a refund. I didn't need to do any digging as they paid out without an argument. A few months later I looked at the loan paperwork. It included a leaflet about PPI including the paragraph about having to have it. I
remembered the woman who sold me the loan saying 'I have to read this to you'. I have no doubts or guilt about claiming and the woman and I are still on speaking terms. After all she was just following procedures.
PPI on 08:54 - Sep 8 with 5476 viewssoupytwist

Just in case anyone is dithering about this, moneysavingexpert.com has an arrangement with a service called Resolver which makes it very easy to submit a claim without going through a third party. That way, if you are due anything you get all the money yourself. If you have any of the paperwork relating to the relevant loans etc. it's a doddle.

You can do a credit search through moneysavingexpert.com as well to see what you've had over the past few years and then use the Resolver service to submit an enquiry. I've done that for 4 financial institutions and it took about an hour of my time. No idea what it will drag up yet.
PPI on 09:17 - Sep 8 with 5439 viewstrncbluearmy

PPI on 19:27 - Sep 4 by britbiker

The nanny state gone crazy,
I expect all those that made claims are repaying the payout

and who pays for it,those of us who can manage our own finances.
PPI on 11:38 - Sep 8 with 5397 viewsjeera

PPI on 09:17 - Sep 8 by trncbluearmy

The nanny state gone crazy,
I expect all those that made claims are repaying the payout

and who pays for it,those of us who can manage our own finances.

That doesn't seem to make sense.

What does a financial institution deliberately mis-selling a product have to do with how people manage their finances.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2017 11:45]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024