Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet 20:17 - Nov 15 with 2483 viewsfactual_blue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-41850498

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:23 - Nov 15 with 2458 viewssolemio

Well that's the end for the great percussionist Evelyn Glennie. It really is beyond all belief. Hearing, then, is a disability?
I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:42 - Nov 15 with 2424 viewsfactual_blue

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:23 - Nov 15 by solemio

Well that's the end for the great percussionist Evelyn Glennie. It really is beyond all belief. Hearing, then, is a disability?

You're an oralist.

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:46 - Nov 15 with 2412 viewssolemio

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:42 - Nov 15 by factual_blue

You're an oralist.

Pardon?
I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:51 - Nov 15 with 2401 viewsfactual_blue

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:46 - Nov 15 by solemio

Pardon?

Half past four.

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:52 - Nov 15 with 2395 viewssolemio

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:51 - Nov 15 by factual_blue

Half past four.

Bless you.
I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 22:03 - Nov 15 with 2337 viewsWeWereZombies

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 20:23 - Nov 15 by solemio

She has been offered but refused hearing aids and other paraphenalia, as someone who has suffered moderate hearing loss in the last few years I can't get enough of the stuff, the ever wonderful Scottish NHS have even installed a loop system in my house. And yes, it is a disability that often puts sufferers at a disadvantage.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 22:15 - Nov 15 with 2316 viewssolemio

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 22:03 - Nov 15 by WeWereZombies

She has been offered but refused hearing aids and other paraphenalia, as someone who has suffered moderate hearing loss in the last few years I can't get enough of the stuff, the ever wonderful Scottish NHS have even installed a loop system in my house. And yes, it is a disability that often puts sufferers at a disadvantage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she almost feels the music rather than hearing it. I presume that musically she would actually find it counter-productive to have hearing aids etc.
I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 22:19 - Nov 15 with 2311 viewsSwansea_Blue

She got up on stage and promoted oralism?

That's a bit risqué for AGT.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 22:36 - Nov 15 with 2281 viewsWeWereZombies

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 22:15 - Nov 15 by solemio

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she almost feels the music rather than hearing it. I presume that musically she would actually find it counter-productive to have hearing aids etc.

That's absolutely it - well, as far as I can tell. Very different kind of hearing loss to mine, saw her earlier this year at the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow where she was on stage with the Indian percussionist Trilok Gitru, something of a tour de force from each performer.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

I'm not sure our American cousins are actually from this planet on 08:18 - Nov 16 with 2185 viewsconnorscontract

I can confirm that there are similar feelings expressed within the British deaf community. It is particularly difficult for people who have conditions which lead to profound deafness over time.

For example, if someone grows up hearing, and so their friends and culture are not deaf, but loses the ability to communicate with them they then may have the option of cochlear implants. But cochlear implants are anathema to many in the deaf community, and people with them are seen as "Judases" and so are rejected by many in the deaf community.

The comedian Steve Day is very good on this stuff. Because he is partialy hearing and wears hearing aids to help him with his job he gets confronted by profoundly deaf people who say he isn't "properly deaf".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024