Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ironic Thing 22:02 - Apr 7 with 2522 viewsIpswichFan26

Is that there are a large number of fans who are so against the manager that they are making noises about never going to games until Mick leaves and/or making every atmosphere at games so toxic until he leaves. If these 'fans' keep going down this road, they will cause more damage than Mick ever would.
I wouldn't want to be a kid in these crowds.
I wouldn't want my kids to be in these crowds.
I can imagine they'll be a few kids and families turning their noses at games in the future because of this stuff. You want a manager out, fine. But today along with others are ridiculous.
It's too way far considering there's no point to it as we are getting a new manager in next season anyway. This section of fans are ruining it for the rest of us who just want to move on, it's embarrassing

COYB

The Ironic Thing on 23:00 - Apr 7 with 2424 viewscharlie1

(Ipswich fans aside) Mick still commands massive respect in the rest of the footballing world so I think it’s fair to extend your point and say I wouldn’t want to be a new manager coming in to face a crowd like that.

I know there will be many who will respond that they wouldn’t be the same for a new manager but for how long? Five games? Ten games? Then what?

Can’t see our numbskulls suddenly sitting on their hands and tolerating a new five-year plan can you?
The Ironic Thing on 23:49 - Apr 7 with 2337 viewsBraveDave

Absolutely agree. I've got no issue with shouting abuse (within reason) at opposing fans, players, etc. However, as you rightly say, these scumbags couldn't care less about our club and want to turn what should be a great day out into a poisonous atmosphere, where kids wouldn't want to be and where parents wouldn't want to take those kids. They'll use McCarthy as their excuse, but truth is we've all seen these 'fans' and their sole aim is to ruin it for everybody else - if it wasn't McCarthy it would be someone else. He'll be gone in a few weeks, but next season at Brentford, QPR, etc, they'll still be there with their nasty, low life views to inflict on the rest of us. This has nothing to do with 'happy clapping' or being offended - this is about proper fans who want to get behind their team.
The Ironic Thing on 00:59 - Apr 8 with 2272 viewsgernon

They're not ruining it for me and I wasn't embarrassed. I took my kids today. They were glad to hear a few people sticking up for their club against this bloke who's football is no fun to watch.

My eldest (10) thinks Mick's done OK but is glad he's going. I was surprised by his nuanced view. We spoke about how Mick doesn't really understand what it means to be a Town fan (not his fault, how could he?), and that his dismissive attitude to supporters is detrimental to the club.

Much prefer them to hear the response today than the craven acceptance of the rubbish we get served up. And if you're bothered by your kids hearing swearing I wonder why you'd take em to football.
The Ironic Thing on 01:05 - Apr 8 with 2258 viewsSuperfrans

The Ironic Thing on 00:59 - Apr 8 by gernon

They're not ruining it for me and I wasn't embarrassed. I took my kids today. They were glad to hear a few people sticking up for their club against this bloke who's football is no fun to watch.

My eldest (10) thinks Mick's done OK but is glad he's going. I was surprised by his nuanced view. We spoke about how Mick doesn't really understand what it means to be a Town fan (not his fault, how could he?), and that his dismissive attitude to supporters is detrimental to the club.

Much prefer them to hear the response today than the craven acceptance of the rubbish we get served up. And if you're bothered by your kids hearing swearing I wonder why you'd take em to football.

Your 10 year old sounds like a fairly mature kid. Good on him.

But, of course, if his dad thinks it’s fine to chant abuse at his own team’s manager, he is likely to think it is too.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

The Ironic Thing on 01:13 - Apr 8 with 2241 viewsgernon

The Ironic Thing on 01:05 - Apr 8 by Superfrans

Your 10 year old sounds like a fairly mature kid. Good on him.

But, of course, if his dad thinks it’s fine to chant abuse at his own team’s manager, he is likely to think it is too.

He is quite mature as it goes. Winds me up sometimes but makes for good company.

As for your last point - yes I do think it's ok and I'm happy if that influences him.

He knows to be polite, respectful and kind when necessary too.
The Ironic Thing on 01:18 - Apr 8 with 2221 viewsSuperfrans

The Ironic Thing on 01:13 - Apr 8 by gernon

He is quite mature as it goes. Winds me up sometimes but makes for good company.

As for your last point - yes I do think it's ok and I'm happy if that influences him.

What about being polite, kind and respectful to his elders and betters?

The Ironic Thing on 01:18 - Apr 8 with 2221 viewsWarhurst

The Ironic Thing on 01:13 - Apr 8 by gernon

Everyone knows he is leaving at the end of the season. Why is it so hard for people to be civilised human beings in the meantime?
The Ironic Thing on 01:21 - Apr 8 with 2210 viewsgernon

The Ironic Thing on 01:18 - Apr 8 by Superfrans

What about being polite, kind and respectful to his elders and betters?

Yes that's a different debate and it sounds like were probably a fair way apart on that. I don't see why kids should be reflexively respectful to a person just because their older than them.
Login to get fewer ads

The Ironic Thing on 01:29 - Apr 8 with 2188 viewsSuperfrans

The Ironic Thing on 01:21 - Apr 8 by gernon

Yes that's a different debate and it sounds like were probably a fair way apart on that. I don't see why kids should be reflexively respectful to a person just because their older than them.

Yes, it probably is a different debate.

I do respect your right to take your 10yo to an away match where the atmosphere is likely to be as it is today. That’s fine, if you’re okay with it.

The issue is that *other* parents may not be so comfortable. And, as a parent, I would totally understand why other parents wouldn’t want to take their kid/s into an environment where other fans are, aggressively calling their own team’s manager a c***. Even aside from the use of cuss words, there’s the general treatment of anyone (older or otherwise) like that. Personally, I wouldn’t take my 15yo daughter to a match if I thought that’s what it’s going to be like, let alone anyone younger.

Maybe I’m over-sensitive a bit on this - when I was about 10 my dad stopped taking me to Portman Road because he overheard some bloke near him threatening to stab someone else. I only managed to get to games because a neighbour started going with his son a couple of seasons later.

The Ironic Thing on 01:47 - Apr 8 with 2171 viewsRyorry

The Ironic Thing on 01:29 - Apr 8 by Superfrans

Yes, it probably is a different debate.

I do respect your right to take your 10yo to an away match where the atmosphere is likely to be as it is today. That’s fine, if you’re okay with it.

The issue is that *other* parents may not be so comfortable. And, as a parent, I would totally understand why other parents wouldn’t want to take their kid/s into an environment where other fans are, aggressively calling their own team’s manager a c***. Even aside from the use of cuss words, there’s the general treatment of anyone (older or otherwise) like that. Personally, I wouldn’t take my 15yo daughter to a match if I thought that’s what it’s going to be like, let alone anyone younger.

Maybe I’m over-sensitive a bit on this - when I was about 10 my dad stopped taking me to Portman Road because he overheard some bloke near him threatening to stab someone else. I only managed to get to games because a neighbour started going with his son a couple of seasons later.

How sad it is that times have changed so much.

I'd never been into football at all when I first arrived in Ipswich in my early 20s to go to college. It wasn't just the fact that the club were flying at the time (early 70s) that got me interested, it was the fact that ITFC were known as a friendly family club that persuaded me that it was a fun & OK thing to get into.

I certainly wouldn't be persuaded now. Having said that, it's always had its dark moments of course - I remember in the late 80s visiting Crystal Palace, an evening game, and as we drove out of the car park, I saw at least 3 or 4 of our young fans sticking their boots into one Palace fan who was already prone on the ground. That put me off not just us but all football for quite a while. But of course there's also a need to remember such morons really are only a minority - the vast majority are perfectly decent people.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Ironic Thing on 03:48 - Apr 8 with 2128 viewsrapier

It's always darkest before the dawn
The Ironic Thing on 05:32 - Apr 8 with 2076 viewsBenters2

The Ironic Thing on 00:59 - Apr 8 by gernon

Good for you and your children I didn’t go I always do this one if it’s on a Saturday,but due to a family member seriously ill I cycled over to see her and made her lunch.

I did get home in time to listen to the game and both Mick Mills and the radio Suffolk chap said it was really a poor performance from town.

In fact they both went on to say it’s boring.They even took the piss when town made their subs and started attacking more.

This was always going to be that game where if people had the hump they were going to go for it.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2018 5:43]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024