Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Following the Bergkamp thread... 12:36 - Apr 17 with 864 viewsbluewein

I'm listening to the Quickly Kevin... podcast and ironically they're talking about their first international tournaments.

So, which was your first tournament and what were your earliest memories of it? Mine was USA '94. I hadn't really got into football until I was seven years old which was also our first season in the Prem. (I admit it. I jumped on the town bandwagon...)

I remember two things about that tournament. Being excited seeing a town player at the World Cup (Genchev) whilst supporting Bulgaria and being over the moon that they beat Germany.

Also remeber watching the Holland - Brazil quarter final match whaich Brazil ended up winning 3-2 with all the goals coming in the second half. Some smartley taken goals including Branco's winner.

[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 12:37]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Following the Bergkamp thread... on 13:49 - Apr 17 with 803 viewsSpruceMoose

Italia 90. Thinking back now it had a magic for me that, other than perhaps Euro 96, has never been recaptured. A lot of it is nostalgia as it was just before football changed forever into the massive behemoth that is is today.

But it was at the peak time for me as a kid, it was a massive thing among my school friends, talking about watching players you had never heard of, or had heard of but never seen, the emergence of Cameroon, Sir Bobby leading the way, the country it was taking place in, all of the paraphernalia around it like the use of Nessun Dorma. Even the mascot was cool as fook.

There's also something about the quality of the visuals. They talk about that on the podcast I think. The colours, the way the footage glows.

Football changed for me after that tournament. Just watching this really stirs me.

[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 13:56]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Following the Bergkamp thread... on 13:52 - Apr 17 with 792 viewsSwailsey

I f**king love that podcast and I'm eternally indebted to whoever it was on here who recommenced it a few series ago.

The Steve Bruce book reviews are something else.

In answer to your question: Euro '96. I got into football figures at the same time and loved my Steve Stone and Warren Barton ones. Remember Gazza missing his effort and wanting a pair of trainers which came with a signed football form Clarks.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Following the Bergkamp thread... on 14:00 - Apr 17 with 769 viewsDarth_Koont

I first remember '78 in Argentina for Archie Gemmill's goal against Holland and the final (Mario Kempes and also how the pitch appeared to be covered in litter) but those were just fleeting impressions. Really it was 1982 that sealed the deal. That was a great tournament if not the greatest ever World Cup*.

*Obviously 1970 might disagree with that but I think that's more down to Pele's Brazil and the goals in the final than anything else.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024