Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum 11:25 - Apr 27 with 3355 viewsSteve_M

There's a whole Flickr page here of photos of the design process:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/apr/27/rick-dickinson-designer-sinclair-h

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086@N02/sets/72157600607571866

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 11:30 - Apr 27 with 3342 viewsStokieBlue

I loved my Spectrum, was a magnificent machine. Had a 48k originally then later on one of the grey 128k ones with a tape player built in.

Spent all my time writing basic and causing havoc with peek and pokes. Great fun. Also great to break Football Manager and change the best player to yourself before you watched the stickman version of yourself blast it in from a totally impossible angle.

Not sure of my favourite game but would have to be one of Manic Miner, Monty In Prison, Head over Heals, The Untouchables or Rainbow Island (quite different eras there). I've probably forgotten loads and loads as well.

Good times.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:11 - Apr 27 with 3319 viewsSteve_M

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 11:30 - Apr 27 by StokieBlue

I loved my Spectrum, was a magnificent machine. Had a 48k originally then later on one of the grey 128k ones with a tape player built in.

Spent all my time writing basic and causing havoc with peek and pokes. Great fun. Also great to break Football Manager and change the best player to yourself before you watched the stickman version of yourself blast it in from a totally impossible angle.

Not sure of my favourite game but would have to be one of Manic Miner, Monty In Prison, Head over Heals, The Untouchables or Rainbow Island (quite different eras there). I've probably forgotten loads and loads as well.

Good times.

SB

Yes, my brother had I had the same progression if not quite as much into the programming as you. The games I remember most are The Hobbit and the Dizzy series but there were loads of others.

I'm quite nostalgic for the 48k Spectrum with rubber keys, and a fraction of the processing power of my phone.

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:12 - Apr 27 with 3317 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 11:30 - Apr 27 by StokieBlue

Good times.

SB

Don't forget some of my faves:
Elite
Bomb Jack
Bubble Bobble
Daley Thompson's Decathlon
Hyper Sports
Dan Dare
Jet Set Willy
Way Of The Exploding Fist
Chuckie Egg
Arkaniod
Gauntlet
Jetpac

RIP Mr Dickinson - your design will forever have a place in our hearts
Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:13 - Apr 27 with 3313 viewshomer_123

C64 was were it was at.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:14 - Apr 27 with 3311 viewswkj

He really was a visionary of computings 3rd generation.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:21 - Apr 27 with 3307 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:13 - Apr 27 by homer_123

C64 was were it was at.

Leaderboard (the golf game) was superior on the C64
Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:23 - Apr 27 with 3298 viewsStokieBlue

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:12 - Apr 27 by Bad_Boy_Mark

Elite
Bomb Jack
Bubble Bobble
Hyper Sports
Dan Dare
Jet Set Willy
Chuckie Egg
Arkaniod
Gauntlet
Jetpac

Those were all excellent, there were just too many to remember!

Way of the exploding fist!

SB

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:24 - Apr 27 with 3297 viewsIllinoisblue

Great stuff. I still marvel at what could be done with the ZX81 and its whole 1k of memory. Then upgrading to the spectrum was entering a whole new world. TWTD

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:25 - Apr 27 with 3294 viewsStokieBlue

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:11 - Apr 27 by Steve_M

Yes, my brother had I had the same progression if not quite as much into the programming as you. The games I remember most are The Hobbit and the Dizzy series but there were loads of others.

I'm quite nostalgic for the 48k Spectrum with rubber keys, and a fraction of the processing power of my phone.

The Hobbit was magnificent, in fact nearly all of those text based adventure games where you had to draw your own map on a piece of paper were superb.

It's Friday so you can thank me for the productivity hit later:

http://play2.textadventures.co.uk/Play.aspx?id=p-bmq3zuake8zuem2cu1oa

SB

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:35 - Apr 27 with 3284 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:23 - Apr 27 by StokieBlue

Those were all excellent, there were just too many to remember!

Way of the exploding fist!

SB

What a game that was! I still own my machine and most of those games are up in my loft.

I must power it up one day for the nostalgia!
Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:37 - Apr 27 with 3280 viewsIllinoisblue

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:12 - Apr 27 by Bad_Boy_Mark

Elite
Bomb Jack
Bubble Bobble
Hyper Sports
Dan Dare
Jet Set Willy
Chuckie Egg
Arkaniod
Gauntlet
Jetpac

There was a BMX game by CodeMasters that i was addicted to for a while. But nothing can top 3D Monster Maze for sheer wow factor

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:42 - Apr 27 with 3272 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:24 - Apr 27 by Illinoisblue

Great stuff. I still marvel at what could be done with the ZX81 and its whole 1k of memory. Then upgrading to the spectrum was entering a whole new world. TWTD

48k! Something like Elite pushed that machine to the very edge of its limits!
Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 13:12 - Apr 27 with 3246 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:42 - Apr 27 by Bad_Boy_Mark

48k! Something like Elite pushed that machine to the very edge of its limits!

Those really were the days, when you could pick a decent game up for 99p and never spend over £9.99.

This is a website that full of old ZX Spectrum games http://torinak.com/qaop/games

Has anybody been watching the Indiegogo ZX Vega+ mess?

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 14:41 - Apr 27 with 3193 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 13:12 - Apr 27 by BullardsMagicMullet

Those really were the days, when you could pick a decent game up for 99p and never spend over £9.99.

This is a website that full of old ZX Spectrum games http://torinak.com/qaop/games

So true, good times!

I've only had a quick peek but that looks like a great site! Thanks for the link
Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 14:45 - Apr 27 with 3188 viewsStokieBlue

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 13:12 - Apr 27 by BullardsMagicMullet

Just had a pop on Football Manager.

Kevin Keegan, skill 1. Russel Osman, skill 5.

SB

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 15:20 - Apr 27 with 3176 viewsSteve_M

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 12:25 - Apr 27 by StokieBlue

The Hobbit was magnificent, in fact nearly all of those text based adventure games where you had to draw your own map on a piece of paper were superb.

It's Friday so you can thank me for the productivity hit later:

http://play2.textadventures.co.uk/Play.aspx?id=p-bmq3zuake8zuem2cu1oa

SB

I wouldn't have taken the afternoon off work had I seen that earlier!

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 18:59 - Apr 27 with 3136 viewsvapour_trail

Elite
Bomb Jack
Bubble Bobble
Hyper Sports
Dan Dare
Jet Set Willy
Chuckie Egg
Arkaniod
Gauntlet
Jetpac

Loved Daley Thompson’s decathlon. Battering away at a couple of the keys with rhythmic space bar thrown in for the 110m hurdles.

I had some winter sports version as well but it used to crash a lot on the slalom.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 09:26 - Apr 30 with 3042 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 18:59 - Apr 27 by vapour_trail

Loved Daley Thompson’s decathlon. Battering away at a couple of the keys with rhythmic space bar thrown in for the 110m hurdles.

I had some winter sports version as well but it used to crash a lot on the slalom.

Kids today complain if an App takes 5 seconds to open, they should try loading a game for 20 minutes only for it to crash and having to do it all again.

Used to love the original Dizzy, Batman the movie, Robocop 1, Gauntlet 2, Lunar Jetman, Harrier attack and manic miner.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Farewell Rick Dickinson, designer of the ZX Spectrum on 10:11 - Apr 30 with 3032 viewsgerard1947

I met him several times, Clive Sinclair too. The company I worked for was involved with their distribution and returns. If I remember rightly the Spectrum was assembled at Timex in Dundee. Bizarrely repairs were undertaken in Cambridge in a disused windmill.

By the time they upgraded to the QL they had a large manufacturing facility in Milton, this failed because Acorn was nominated for schools.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024