Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester 08:08 - Dec 18 with 1869 viewsBluefish

Been meaning to ask you this for a while and the new contract for Morris reminded me.

Morris was long seen as the next in line and the one knocking on the door of a breakthrough. Jack has really kicked on from nowhere though and established himself in the 1st team while Morris struggles for minutes in league 2. Do you think Morris has the higher potential of the 2 or has he gone backwards or was he overhyped? Obviously a lot could change but have your views changed?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:14 - Dec 18 with 1697 viewsBluefish

Oi stop eating in dodgy service stations and answer my question

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:37 - Dec 18 with 1657 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:14 - Dec 18 by Bluefish

Oi stop eating in dodgy service stations and answer my question

It’s so difficult to know - but so much of Youth development is about luck and Morris hasn’t really had any recently!

Morris missed most of pre season despite being in and around first team at end of season, but that was because he was away with England at the Euros, he came back, looked too good for U23s and has a really promising cameo against Blackburn.

So, to avoid him playing at U23 level he goes out on loan and then doesn’t play - and now a player who was behind him in the pecking order is now starting Championship games where he isn’t getting a look in at League 2. Ironically had Morris stayed here he’d likely have started more games than he has there, at Lankesters expense!

Lankester is hard to judge, he had a really poor U17 season, and think that was due to being a very late developer physically, but really kicked on as an U18. Without checking I’d guess Morris scores more goals as an U23 during second year of scholarship than JL did as an U18 at same stage.

Both are fine prospects, but one is getting luck at the moment whereas the other isn’t - and this spell when Hurst chucked him in as a desperate last throw of dice could very likely define their careers, not just at ITFC but in general

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:39 - Dec 18 with 1646 viewsBluefish

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:37 - Dec 18 by itfcjoe

It’s so difficult to know - but so much of Youth development is about luck and Morris hasn’t really had any recently!

Morris missed most of pre season despite being in and around first team at end of season, but that was because he was away with England at the Euros, he came back, looked too good for U23s and has a really promising cameo against Blackburn.

So, to avoid him playing at U23 level he goes out on loan and then doesn’t play - and now a player who was behind him in the pecking order is now starting Championship games where he isn’t getting a look in at League 2. Ironically had Morris stayed here he’d likely have started more games than he has there, at Lankesters expense!

Lankester is hard to judge, he had a really poor U17 season, and think that was due to being a very late developer physically, but really kicked on as an U18. Without checking I’d guess Morris scores more goals as an U23 during second year of scholarship than JL did as an U18 at same stage.

Both are fine prospects, but one is getting luck at the moment whereas the other isn’t - and this spell when Hurst chucked him in as a desperate last throw of dice could very likely define their careers, not just at ITFC but in general

Cheers pal I suspected that might be the way. Would have been interesting though to see if anything had stood out, Morris seemed highly rated by England as well but often it seems to be a face fits with England set ups.

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:43 - Dec 18 with 1638 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:39 - Dec 18 by Bluefish

Cheers pal I suspected that might be the way. Would have been interesting though to see if anything had stood out, Morris seemed highly rated by England as well but often it seems to be a face fits with England set ups.

I was personally surprised he got the call up this summer, and think that may have had more to do with availability from better prospects. He was in the squads on merit at U17 level, but don’t think that was the case at U19 from what I’ve seen - he’s struggled at international level

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:48 - Dec 18 with 1609 viewsMrTown

Joe, I'm no expert at the academy level, certainly nowhere near your level. But I have seen maybe 15 games over the last 18 months.

When I see Ben Morris, and then look at the first team, would he struggle at the moment to play in our team due to his height, is almost Freddie Sears esc when he plays better with another man up there with him?

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:49 - Dec 18 with 1604 viewsITFCBlues

JL also had a fairly serious injury that would’ve held him back I believe?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:58 - Dec 18 with 1568 viewsCrofty

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:49 - Dec 18 by ITFCBlues

Just too add and I've not seen enough of Morris to make comment on him but having watched Jack on loan at Bury Town towards the end of last season which has really seemed to moved him forward.
Playing at that level although nothing close to league football standard certainly gave him a toughening up period and he seemed to have comeback knowing what was needed.
ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 19:52 - Dec 18 with 1451 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:48 - Dec 18 by MrTown

Joe, I'm no expert at the academy level, certainly nowhere near your level. But I have seen maybe 15 games over the last 18 months.

When I see Ben Morris, and then look at the first team, would he struggle at the moment to play in our team due to his height, is almost Freddie Sears esc when he plays better with another man up there with him?

I think he'd have to be in one of the wide striker roles which Sears and Lankester/Edwards have been in - but that role suits him well and he has played a lot there for U23s over recent years

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 19:53 - Dec 18 with 1450 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:49 - Dec 18 by ITFCBlues

I don't think that is the case?

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 19:55 - Dec 18 with 1445 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC_JOE - Morris and Lankester on 18:58 - Dec 18 by Crofty

Just too add and I've not seen enough of Morris to make comment on him but having watched Jack on loan at Bury Town towards the end of last season which has really seemed to moved him forward.
Playing at that level although nothing close to league football standard certainly gave him a toughening up period and he seemed to have comeback knowing what was needed.

I think the club have realised that - in previous years a loan to that level has really just happened when the guy is going to be released and helping them out as wouldn't be playing here - Tom Winter, Cemal Ramadan and various others.

But since Lankester and McGavin went there at the end of last season, we have now stuck a load of players there at this early stage of season, which is almsot unheard of, and there are some who definitely won't be being released. Ryley Scott and Tom Hughes at Bury, Luca Vega at Lowestoft, Kian Ronan at Mildenhall and a fe wothers - so that success has obviously opened the clubs eyes to what it can do

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024