Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Council housing for sixteen year olds 08:21 - Dec 18 with 1276 viewsGlasgowBlue

A friend of one of my daughters boyfriend was given a council flat at the age of sixteen recently. Yesterday the council kicked him out as he had allowed another of his fiends to stay whilst he was out, the friend invited a crowd around for a party, the party got out of hand and the neighbours complained.

We’ve let him stay in our son’s room fur a couple of nights as he’s away at uni.

A question fir anyone who works in this sector. Taking aside the fact that I didn’t think the council gave flats to people of his age, can the council just evict him with absolutely no notice as they have?
[Post edited 18 Dec 2018 8:23]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Council housing fur sixteen year olds on 08:25 - Dec 18 with 1243 viewsHerbivore

They usually have to give a month's notice is my understanding, unless there is a direct risk to anyone because of the tenancy continuing. It's highly unusual for councils to give tenancies to 16 year olds, they don't do it at all in Norfolk. Was it definitely the council and not some other provider?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Council housing fur sixteen year olds on 09:39 - Dec 18 with 1085 viewsGlasgowBlue

Council housing fur sixteen year olds on 08:25 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

They usually have to give a month's notice is my understanding, unless there is a direct risk to anyone because of the tenancy continuing. It's highly unusual for councils to give tenancies to 16 year olds, they don't do it at all in Norfolk. Was it definitely the council and not some other provider?

As far as I know it’s a council flat. Part of a big estate.

He already had restrictions that he wasn’t allowed to have anyone under the age of sixteen on the premises.

He comes from a home where the stepfather didn’t want him once he turned sixteen and threw him out.

All of his friends had rallied around and my daughter and some of her friends did a clean in the place a couple of times a week as he’s a typical sixteen year old boy.

Iron Lion Zion

Council housing for sixteen year olds on 09:53 - Dec 18 with 1072 viewsconnorscontract

I don't know if Scottish law is different, but in England the Council would have a duty of care towards him and an obligation to house him.
Council housing for sixteen year olds on 09:59 - Dec 18 with 1047 viewsGlasgowBlue

Council housing for sixteen year olds on 09:53 - Dec 18 by connorscontract

I don't know if Scottish law is different, but in England the Council would have a duty of care towards him and an obligation to house him.

I know from my time on the housing committee at district council level (bear in mind this was thirty years ago) that you are either intentionally or unintentionally homeless.

If he has broken a clause in his tenancy agreement then he may be classed as intentionally homeless.

Iron Lion Zion

Council housing for sixteen year olds on 10:42 - Dec 18 with 993 viewsconnorscontract

Council housing for sixteen year olds on 09:59 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

I know from my time on the housing committee at district council level (bear in mind this was thirty years ago) that you are either intentionally or unintentionally homeless.

If he has broken a clause in his tenancy agreement then he may be classed as intentionally homeless.

In England his age would mitigate against that. A 16 year old's capacity to sign a legally binding contract is different from an 18 year olds, and the duty of care to "vulnerable" people would also extend to under-21 year olds here.

I don't know if voting age of 16 in Referendum means that that is considered the age of majority under Scottish Law, though.

He shouldn't have been dumped in a council flat, though, without proper assessment of his capabilities. In England, by housing him the Council would have accepted that his familial relationship had broken down and that they (or the State, generally) were now "in loco parentis" and he should have "looked after child" status. Again, that's the route I would be encouraging someone to go down here, I don't know if the law is the same in Scotland. It's worth a phone call to a legal helpline or Scottish homelessness charity to check on this, in my opinion.

Would he consider being short-term fostered?
Council housing for sixteen year olds on 10:47 - Dec 18 with 984 viewsGlasgowBlue

Council housing for sixteen year olds on 10:42 - Dec 18 by connorscontract

In England his age would mitigate against that. A 16 year old's capacity to sign a legally binding contract is different from an 18 year olds, and the duty of care to "vulnerable" people would also extend to under-21 year olds here.

I don't know if voting age of 16 in Referendum means that that is considered the age of majority under Scottish Law, though.

He shouldn't have been dumped in a council flat, though, without proper assessment of his capabilities. In England, by housing him the Council would have accepted that his familial relationship had broken down and that they (or the State, generally) were now "in loco parentis" and he should have "looked after child" status. Again, that's the route I would be encouraging someone to go down here, I don't know if the law is the same in Scotland. It's worth a phone call to a legal helpline or Scottish homelessness charity to check on this, in my opinion.

Would he consider being short-term fostered?

Thanks for the reply. I doubt he'd consider being fostered. He's left school and seems fairly independent. He was supposed to be here one more night but my daughter's boyfriend's mum has agreed to put him up short term.

Sad situation all round.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024