Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Behind the Curve 22:42 - Apr 2 with 1033 viewsStokieBlue

Has anyone watched this on Netflix? It's a documentary about the flat Earth movement so some minor spoilers below.

It's actually pretty good, it does a good job of showing the community spirit and they truly do believe the Earth is flat. There is an awful lot of confirmation bias and Dunning-Kruger effect and it does a good job of showing the growing distrust of experts, science and government agencies. My overall feeling was one of sadness. They are clearly wrong, there is no doubt about that but the fact they believe it so resolutely and pass on that belief to others is a worrying sign of the way the world is going in the social media age.

The scientists interviewed did a good job of showing how the movement needs to be engaged with constructively but also how it can be very dangerous. Distrust of science spreads to other areas with sometimes harmful effects.

My favourite parts were the flat-Earthers who want to use science to prove the Earth is flat. They devised two experiments. One was to calculate the rotation of the Earth over an hour and to do this someone bought them a 20k laser-gyro. They expected it to come back at 0 degrees as they believe it's not rotating but it always came back at 15 degrees (360/24) regardless how they tried to skew the experiment. The second experiment was to use a light over a specified distance. If the Earth was flat it should be seen at 17 feet from both locations, if it's curved it would need to be higher at the second location. Unsurprisingly it was 23+ feet at the second location. They declared the result interesting and went back to designing a different experiment to prove the Earth was flat rather than accepting that their own experiments had disproven their theory.

I was also a bit perplexed about the whole dome theory. Some of them believe that the Earth is covered in dome onto which projection of the heavens is beamed like a planetarium. This could clearly not form via any natural laws so would have to have been designed and constructed but they didn't get into that or whom may have built it. Any ideas?

Overall a decent watch and you do get a sense of their perspective although for me the main thing was a sense of sadness that so many people can be taken in by something so demonstrably incorrect due to a distrust of experts and science.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Behind the Curve on 22:47 - Apr 2 with 999 viewsSpruceMoose

I watched it the other night actually. They didn't bother me much. Harmless eccentrics and idiots. Outcasts forming their own community.

That was until they had their conference and there were kids getting involved. As this point I became a little annoyed.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Behind the Curve on 23:39 - Apr 2 with 935 viewscaught-in-limbo

I don't believe they are genuine, well, clearly not the ones that claim to base their ideas on science. The rest are just gullible half-wits.

Clearly none of them have been on a long haul flight.

Here's a Flat Earther's map of the world from their own website:

Now, if you draw a line on that map from Sydney to Santiago de Chile, it nearly goes directly over Dallas.

The second longest direct commercial flight currently is Sydney to Dallas - 17hours (8578miles).
Flying direct from Dallas to Santiago takes 9.5 hours (4863miles)

BUT, you can fly direct from Sydney to Santiago in just 12.5 hours which is less than half the time it would hypothetically take to fly in a straight line via Dallas on their map.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2019 1:12]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Behind the Curve on 08:16 - Apr 3 with 750 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Behind the Curve on 23:39 - Apr 2 by caught-in-limbo

I don't believe they are genuine, well, clearly not the ones that claim to base their ideas on science. The rest are just gullible half-wits.

Clearly none of them have been on a long haul flight.

Here's a Flat Earther's map of the world from their own website:

Now, if you draw a line on that map from Sydney to Santiago de Chile, it nearly goes directly over Dallas.

The second longest direct commercial flight currently is Sydney to Dallas - 17hours (8578miles).
Flying direct from Dallas to Santiago takes 9.5 hours (4863miles)

BUT, you can fly direct from Sydney to Santiago in just 12.5 hours which is less than half the time it would hypothetically take to fly in a straight line via Dallas on their map.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2019 1:12]

I think their website/Facebook page says they have members from all over the globe!

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024