Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My company has gone fully working from home 08:27 - Mar 9 with 1542 viewsGeoffSentence

At least as far as those people whose work can be done from home.

I haven't been into the office for over two years, I feel like a trend-setter.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

My company has gone fully working from home on 09:15 - Mar 9 with 1466 viewsGuthrum

So the paper-shufflers survive Covid-19, then all starve because the people who actually produce, distribute and deliver stuff, or look after people, had no option to self-isolate and still get an income ...

On a related note, I was alarmed by a comment from the Chancellor that he would not be offering to bale out business over C-19, but instead "help them find finance" - i.e. debt. So, at best, companies are going to come out of this crisis loaded down with vast debts, which I doubt will even be interest free.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

My company has gone fully working from home on 09:24 - Mar 9 with 1438 viewshampstead_blue

My company has gone fully working from home on 09:15 - Mar 9 by Guthrum

So the paper-shufflers survive Covid-19, then all starve because the people who actually produce, distribute and deliver stuff, or look after people, had no option to self-isolate and still get an income ...

On a related note, I was alarmed by a comment from the Chancellor that he would not be offering to bale out business over C-19, but instead "help them find finance" - i.e. debt. So, at best, companies are going to come out of this crisis loaded down with vast debts, which I doubt will even be interest free.

Are you proposing #11 underwrite the economy?
It's been done before (bankers, let's leave that one there).

Business has to be robust. How many businesses have 6 months of spare cash to manage everyday costs?
Some will fail, some will flourish. In the medium term the markets will bounce back.
Now is a time to invest. Change your pension payments to FTSE based funds to buy at a discount and enjoy the bounce when it comes.

Many were clambering for the exit a few years back but those who invested (everyone has a pension pot) have had decent returns.

I'm not sure #11 can give you your solution.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

My company has gone fully working from home on 09:30 - Mar 9 with 1411 viewsGuthrum

My company has gone fully working from home on 09:24 - Mar 9 by hampstead_blue

Business has to be robust. How many businesses have 6 months of spare cash to manage everyday costs?
Some will fail, some will flourish. In the medium term the markets will bounce back.
Now is a time to invest. Change your pension payments to FTSE based funds to buy at a discount and enjoy the bounce when it comes.

Many were clambering for the exit a few years back but those who invested (everyone has a pension pot) have had decent returns.

I'm not worried about the markets, more small and medium sized enterprises (particularly manufacturing/tradesmen) who most certainly do not have large cash reserves - enough to survive potentially without being able to do any work for several weeks, but still having to pay staff.

If No. 11 won't underwrite the economy in a crisis, what is the use of them? They would have to do it in wartime.

My company has gone fully working from home on 10:33 - Mar 9 with 1343 viewshampstead_blue

My company has gone fully working from home on 09:30 - Mar 9 by Guthrum

I'm not worried about the markets, more small and medium sized enterprises (particularly manufacturing/tradesmen) who most certainly do not have large cash reserves - enough to survive potentially without being able to do any work for several weeks, but still having to pay staff.

If No. 11 won't underwrite the economy in a crisis, what is the use of them? They would have to do it in wartime.

I see your point about the SME and agree they at most risk. They are at risk but......if you were to write a business plan you would put in 6 months of cash flow. That's a hard point as very, very few will ever do that.

I don't think this will be bad enough for the Gov to start re-issuing War Bonds.

There will always be a way if you really think about the problem. Try something different if it turns against you.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I think from this change will occur and for the good.

I work in motorsport and the Geneva motor show getting cancelled could be a massive benefit for the industry and environment. Morgan dod a 'Road trip' video for their new Plus 4. It was effectively two marketing guys driving the cars back from Geneva.

Aston got a wider audience for their home based launch than ever before.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

My company has gone fully working from home (n/t) on 12:53 - Mar 9 with 1237 viewsHARRY10

My company has gone fully working from home on 09:24 - Mar 9 by hampstead_blue

My company has gone fully working from home on 13:33 - Mar 9 with 1168 viewsLeaky

I don't think I can work from home, I can imagine it. Hello Mr Plumber I have a leak water p*ssing through my ceiling could you have look please. Yes Madam I am working from home at the moment could you bring the leak round I'll repair it . Alternatively if you self quarantine for 2 weeks I can call round .
Not possible just have to be a hero & put myself at risk, and charge accordingly.
My company has gone fully working from home on 14:44 - Mar 9 with 1106 viewsGuthrum

My company has gone fully working from home on 10:33 - Mar 9 by hampstead_blue

I see your point about the SME and agree they at most risk. They are at risk but......if you were to write a business plan you would put in 6 months of cash flow. That's a hard point as very, very few will ever do that.

I don't think this will be bad enough for the Gov to start re-issuing War Bonds.

There will always be a way if you really think about the problem. Try something different if it turns against you.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I think from this change will occur and for the good.

I work in motorsport and the Geneva motor show getting cancelled could be a massive benefit for the industry and environment. Morgan dod a 'Road trip' video for their new Plus 4. It was effectively two marketing guys driving the cars back from Geneva.

Aston got a wider audience for their home based launch than ever before.

Six months cashflow - that's half a year's turnover up front. Who would be able to start up a small business if they had to do that?

As for 'try something different', that may work if you're a general purpose manager/administrator/accountant, but not if you are trading off a specific skillset or knowlege base. Always remember the aeronautical engineer I met at Jobclub during the early '90s recession. Brilliant in his field, deeply useless in any other (which is why he was there).

My company has gone fully working from home on 14:48 - Mar 9 with 1087 viewsDyland

My company has gone fully working from home on 13:33 - Mar 9 by Leaky

I don't think I can work from home, I can imagine it. Hello Mr Plumber I have a leak water p*ssing through my ceiling could you have look please. Yes Madam I am working from home at the moment could you bring the leak round I'll repair it . Alternatively if you self quarantine for 2 weeks I can call round .
Not possible just have to be a hero & put myself at risk, and charge accordingly.

Just buy a mustard gas suit, innit.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

My company has gone fully working from home on 14:57 - Mar 9 with 1072 viewsHARRY10

I wonder how much of this will continue once the health concdern has ended ?

A couple of years back I was staing with friends in a village in Brittany. There the local blacksmith/foundry had been convertred into offices - not some Brits retiremenmtnhome.

There were seperate and and one communal area where locals worked on a sort of 'renting a desk' kind of thing.

That allowed contact with other folk, and more importantly removed an hour or less.more on commuting each way. This enabled kids to be walked to school, cafe/pub ised at lunchtime and kept a better sense of community.

I'm sure it was a bit more complicated than that summary, but it diid make me wonder why 'office workers' in particular are required to travel to one office when the work can be done at home, or close to home. Anyone travelling an hour each way would see a 20% reduction in their working day

Access to doctor, bank 'mamager' even police could be done in a private room with video link at a time when the latter were available in less peak periods.

Hopefully we may see more study into this if a lot of folk are required to work from home.
My company has gone fully working from home on 18:58 - Mar 9 with 961 viewsLeaky

My company has gone fully working from home on 14:48 - Mar 9 by Dyland

Just buy a mustard gas suit, innit.

Tried that Tesco has sold out
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024