Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Government deal with private hospitals 16:59 - Mar 21 with 545 viewsStokieBlue

Given we don't have the capacity in the NHS for something like C-19 this seems like an excellent deal to have reached:

"The deal - the first of its kind ever - includes the provision of 8,000 hospital beds across England, nearly 1,200 more ventilators, more than 10,000 nurses, over 700 doctors and over 8,000 other clinical staff."

It said that in London, the deal includes over 2,000 hospital beds, and over 250 operating theatres and critical beds.

Badger or someone else who knows - assume this will be a massive help? Or are practices and interaction with private hospitals and the NHS difficult? IE. Transferring patients or directing ambulances to private hospitals rather than NHS ones.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Government deal with private hospitals on 17:06 - Mar 21 with 518 viewsWD19

Given that the alternative was (and still is) the local Travelodge, I am sure relatively speaking the logistics will not be a major barrier.
Government deal with private hospitals on 17:12 - Mar 21 with 511 viewsBlueBadger

I think the effectiveness of this will depend on what they're set up to deal with and more importantly, the experience of the staff involved. As somewhere to decant out low-risk surgical patients, those on long term rehab and 'social waiters' I'd say it's a reasonable shout. I'm not sure how they'd cope with anyone acutely ill, given that an awful lot of these places are set up to deal with those who are largely well coming into their hospital stay.
I think it would be a massive risk to transfer in those who are still acutely unwell, those with complicated needs and those needing surgery beyond the relatively simple.
From personal experience, the information sharing from the private sector can be somewhat piecemeal and the experience and ability of the staff can be extremely variable(much like in the NHS, in all fairness).

That said, any and all extra capacity and staffing is currently, hugely welcome.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 17:13]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024