Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Musings from Hong Kong 11:26 - Apr 19 with 1001 viewsLord_Lucan

Had a brief but what I think is a very interesting email conversation with a friend in Hong Kong yesterday, particularly the original email which highlights there current situation. They currently have 4 deaths and I believe that this is likely as my friend is an intelligent normal man who lived half his life in UK

It needs to be read from bottom to top.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Lucan

I don’t think that will ever happen in our life time. I just feel sorry for the next generation. There won’t be another berlin Wall to come down but the great wall of china is still standing.

How are you coping with the lockdown ? Must be a horror for those with families and the infirmed.

Here all forms of business are going off the map, the restaurant trade and bars are the worse effected.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Wong

Yeah I know.

What’s the answer, if big boss gets thrown over will he be replaced by someone worse?

I don’t know by the way, I just pose the question.

Sent from my iPhone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Lucan

But what they are doing to Hong Kong and their own people in China is criminal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Wong

To be fair China is hardly a communist country anymore.
Sent from my iPhone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Lucan

Nobody here is wearing PPE unless you work in hospitals, airport arrival and disinfecting personnel.

You see French President Macron criticizing the communists regime and asking them to come clean but his government have placed an order for 600,000 face masks.

Just saw on local news Wuhan wet market has opened for business, didn’t see any bats, but lots of red things dangling on hooks.

I think its about time Trump abuse of his authority even further to send a few Exocet missiles and use the seats of power in Beijing as his targets.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Wong

The problem also though is the reliability of PPE coming out of China, and we bought 3.5 million test kits earlier this month from China that were useless

I don't like Hancock, he reminds me of one of those teachers pets at school however he is the one that is wanting to keep the lockdown whereas our chancellor who is getting all the plaudits wanted an earlier release.

It’s an impossible situation.

I think we will be on a rolling lockdown for minimum of 12 months.
Sent from my iPhone.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Its true Lucan. Only 4 have died so far. We were well prepared end January for the worse scenario, wearing masks priority contrary to government advise. That guy Matt Hancock must be held accountable for some things, your lockdown was late. Having said that we are used to this sort of thing, a lot of people still remember SARS in 2003 and put this into practice. I feel sorry for your lock down especially those with big families.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Wong

Only 4 deaths? Do you believe these figures?

How can HK be so low, our real count is probably over 20,000.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Lucan

We are on the same cruise ship as you lot in the UK but with far less regulations. There is no lock down like in Britian /Europe, we must abide to social distance of not less and 1.5 metres when you are inside restaurants but it doesn’t apply if you are queuing up in a supermarket . So where is the line drawn. We can buy most essentials although 6 weeks earlier panic buying started first with bog rolls, tissue, sanitisers, Dettol, of that nature. Now bog rolls are stacked ceiling high and no takers. People were warned not to buy more than 2 cartons of toilet paper because they would turn mouldy and damp once the monsoon starts and make your flat smell like a compost heap. That’s exactly the scenario now.

Number of death remain at 4, cases tested positive just over 1000, and since Easter weekend the number is single figures daily, and all can be contributed to students coming back from overseas.

We can go out and shop and make our errands without the fear of being stopped by the law unless you started to gather in large groups in public areas. Old men used to gather in public parks to play chess watched by a group of enthusiasts but all that has been banned. All bars and licensed alcohol venues have closed indefinitely and so have gyms, cinemas, concert halls, museums, watering holes for expats in Wanchai and Lan Kwai Fong have closed and many won’t recover or continue their business when this is over.

I was going to London in May for 7 days but all plans have been put on the back burner and reservations cancelled. Being a sporting nation it must turn people mad at weekends that there is nothing on the calendar. Not even a bunny race !

Otherwise we are keeping well and you too in these unprecedented times.

All the best Wong.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Musings from Hong Kong on 11:50 - Apr 19 with 923 viewsBloomBlue

I do think its interesting Countries like HK and South Korea didnt do a full lock down but remained with social distancing have a lot less deaths than Countries who locked down. Obviously you have to look at demographics and the population in those Countries will social distance when told to.
Interesting about HKs use of PPE
The line about Trump made me smile
Musings from Hong Kong on 11:54 - Apr 19 with 910 viewspointofblue

Musings from Hong Kong on 11:50 - Apr 19 by BloomBlue

I do think its interesting Countries like HK and South Korea didnt do a full lock down but remained with social distancing have a lot less deaths than Countries who locked down. Obviously you have to look at demographics and the population in those Countries will social distance when told to.

The likes of Hong Kong and South Korea have also suffered pandemics in recent memory with SARS and Bird Flu, so their societies are far more prepared to react and sacrifice certain things at a moment’s notice, even before the government decrees it necessary. Much of the West has been caught out because we haven’t undergone this kind of outbreak in over a hundred years.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Musings from Hong Kong on 11:55 - Apr 19 with 896 viewsLord_Lucan

If it were just about density then i would have thought that HK would be rife with it.

i think it's as much about social acceptability, responsibility and actions.

This is new ground for the west.

The west will make mistakes and learn from it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Musings from Hong Kong on 12:49 - Apr 19 with 834 viewsGuthrum

South Korea's situation was that the initial bad outbreak was mostly limited to one particular city, Daegu, with most of the cases belonging to a single, large (but somewhat exclusive) church. Thus the one region could be concentrated on, locally locked down and the church membership list (once it was "persuaded" to cooperate) made contact tracing somewhat easier than might otherwise have been the case. That was also where most of the testing was applied, it could be targeted. It was pretty effectively contained, much like the Chinese outbreak in Wuhan.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Musings from Hong Kong on 13:14 - Apr 19 with 796 viewsBloomBlue

Musings from Hong Kong on 11:55 - Apr 19 by Lord_Lucan

If it were just about density then i would have thought that HK would be rife with it.

i think it's as much about social acceptability, responsibility and actions.

This is new ground for the west.

The west will make mistakes and learn from it.

That's was my point especially HK, as you say in theory it should be rife and if a full lockdown is the way of stopping it HK and SKs death total should be much higher. I know the SK Gov/people have strong beliefs in their civil liberties but I guess conversely have more self responsibility.

I guess like so much in life one size doesnt fit all
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024