Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching the BBC re-run of the 1990 WC semi-final earlier. 19:54 - Apr 12 with 692 viewsTheBoyBlue

Knew exactly what was going to happen of course, yet I was feeling really tense throughout, as if I was watching it live and wasn't aware what was going to happen. Perhaps I've been denied football for too long!

That was the first World Cup I remember watching and having not watched my first Town match until 1987 when I was 9 it was the first time that I experienced firsthand the extreme emotions that football can induce. I was properly hooked after that!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Watching the BBC re-run of the 1990 WC semi-final earlier. on 20:03 - Apr 12 with 670 viewsWD19

I think it is only natural. I certainly got goosebumps when we equalised....which is completely irrational given the known outcome.
Watching the BBC re-run of the 1990 WC semi-final earlier. on 20:41 - Apr 12 with 645 viewsChrisd

It was a pity we didn’t have VAR back then, the goal we had disallowed looked extremely tight. Nevertheless, it was a terrific game and one of small margins. Waddle’s strike against the post at the end of the first period of extra time could’ve rebounded straight into Lineker’s path, but alas. Gazza was immense even after he was booked and Des Walker formidable. Still made you proud to be English, Germany were the best at that point in time and we more than matched them during that semi final.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Watching the BBC re-run of the 1990 WC semi-final earlier. on 20:47 - Apr 12 with 629 viewsRadlett_blue

Watching the BBC re-run of the 1990 WC semi-final earlier. on 20:41 - Apr 12 by Chrisd

It was a pity we didn’t have VAR back then, the goal we had disallowed looked extremely tight. Nevertheless, it was a terrific game and one of small margins. Waddle’s strike against the post at the end of the first period of extra time could’ve rebounded straight into Lineker’s path, but alas. Gazza was immense even after he was booked and Des Walker formidable. Still made you proud to be English, Germany were the best at that point in time and we more than matched them during that semi final.

And that performance was a bit of an oddity as England had been pretty average in most of their games until then & had largely scraped through.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Watching the BBC re-run of the 1990 WC semi-final earlier. on 21:05 - Apr 12 with 616 viewsChrisd

Watching the BBC re-run of the 1990 WC semi-final earlier. on 20:47 - Apr 12 by Radlett_blue

And that performance was a bit of an oddity as England had been pretty average in most of their games until then & had largely scraped through.

They outplayed Holland in the group stage and the Cameroon game probably was one of the best of that tournament IMO. We certainly rode our luck at times, but I still look back on that World Cup with fond memories.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Watching the BBC re-run of the 1990 WC semi-final earlier. on 23:18 - Apr 12 with 550 viewsSE1blue

Interestingly, Lineker saying on Twitter he didn’t cry after the game but watching it back just now he burst into tears.

We would’ve won the final easily.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024