Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter 09:15 - Nov 16 with 1660 viewsWeWereZombies

And one time amateur footballer who played to an reasonable level (including against Charlie Christie, Ryan's dad). Insightful perspective on Paul Lambert's time in Glasgow before he went off to be a European champion...

Lambert was not the most popular squad member it seems, which probably comes as no surprise, but as an attacking midfielder was seen as very effective. But what really succeeded was his partnership with Neil Lennon, because Lennon covered for him. Lambert made mistakes and Lennon didn't. This rings a bell with me concerning assistant managers too.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 09:17 - Nov 16 with 1629 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I would suspect has little relevance to his managerial career.

That Ryan Christie is a talented boy though.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 09:34 - Nov 16 with 1537 viewsWeWereZombies

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 09:17 - Nov 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

I would suspect has little relevance to his managerial career.

That Ryan Christie is a talented boy though.

Well this was more of a character assessment, i.e. Lambert is very good in terms of football intelligence but still has mistakes in him so needs a steadying influence. Flowed on in the conversation from a speculation about whether Man Utd. Would ever come in for Christie and I was told that running wise he was good enough but his decision making falls short. I countered with asking if that was a result of the players around him.

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 09:37 - Nov 16 with 1517 viewshomer_123

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 09:34 - Nov 16 by WeWereZombies

Well this was more of a character assessment, i.e. Lambert is very good in terms of football intelligence but still has mistakes in him so needs a steadying influence. Flowed on in the conversation from a speculation about whether Man Utd. Would ever come in for Christie and I was told that running wise he was good enough but his decision making falls short. I countered with asking if that was a result of the players around him.

No one is perfect though. Just saying. (I get your point though).

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 09:57 - Nov 16 with 1447 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 09:34 - Nov 16 by WeWereZombies

Everyone makes mistakes, no suprise there.

He may have the footballing intelligence as a player, different ball game as a manager mind you.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 10:08 - Nov 16 with 1412 viewsGuthrum

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 09:57 - Nov 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

Everyone makes mistakes, no suprise there.

He may have the footballing intelligence as a player, different ball game as a manager mind you.

Also a matter of what you do about the mistakes - whether you are determined not to repeat them, or set out to prove you were right after all.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 13:32 - Nov 16 with 1197 viewsWeWereZombies

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 10:08 - Nov 16 by Guthrum

Also a matter of what you do about the mistakes - whether you are determined not to repeat them, or set out to prove you were right after all.

I guess the hope I have is that Lambert and his management team can get on track and get us up this year, but without Culverhouse there is a piece of the jigsaw missing.

Another part of the conversation was 'Is Lambert still the manager at Ipswich....And then he picked A pile of Topps Chewing Gum cards down from his shelf of football memorabilia - Franke Clarke, Jimmy Robertson, Clive Woods, Paul Mariner, Derek Jefferson, Beattie. My Ipswich history lesson duly followed...

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 17:58 - Nov 17 with 910 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Check facts; Lambert was a more of defensive midfielder, and went to Celtic after Dortmund.
Don’t think we can call into pedigree his quality as a player - truly top quality, possibly apart from Keane the best player we’ve had as a manager. That’s no comment on him as a person or manager though, apart from well respected in the game

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 18:28 - Nov 17 with 864 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Many a decent player has failed as a manager and many who played to a low standard have shone. Not surprised he wasn't that popular though, has about as much charisma as a burnt baked bean. ( Sorry baked beans ).
Login to get fewer ads

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 18:36 - Nov 17 with 847 viewsWeWereZombies

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 17:58 - Nov 17 by BlueyandCrazy

Check facts; Lambert was a more of defensive midfielder, and went to Celtic after Dortmund.
Don’t think we can call into pedigree his quality as a player - truly top quality, possibly apart from Keane the best player we’ve had as a manager. That’s no comment on him as a person or manager though, apart from well respected in the game

Ouch, you're right that Scottish club football of Lambert's era us not my forte, I really should know by now to at least have a squint at Wikipedia. There again I am prepared to rely on someone who watches Celtic regularly for an assessment of how he performed back then. At the end of the day I want to see Town back in the Premiership as soon as possible, or at least at the top end of the Championship like those halcyon Burley days of the late nineties. I am sort of nonplussed as to why Lambert is not living up to expectations and just wanted to throw a few ideas around.

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 15:33 - Nov 18 with 617 viewsbraveblue

And the point is.....? European cup winners are usually pretty good players. Lennon was nothing special.
Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 15:36 - Nov 18 with 611 viewsJ2BLUE

Just had an interesting football conversation with a long time Celtic supporter on 15:33 - Nov 18 by braveblue

And the point is.....? European cup winners are usually pretty good players. Lennon was nothing special.

The point is people have a history of going into the past to try and rewrite history to fit in with the present.

Lambert's not a great manager so we must pretend he wasn't a good player either.

ZZZZZZZZ.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024