Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. 20:01 - Feb 24 with 940 viewsMercian

I have no real fear for any of my family now. The shadow still looms though. Perhaps a proverbial summer/autumn of 1944. The war was practically over but the Germans still dropped V1s and V2s on London and killed thousands of servicemen. They and the virus still has teeth.
Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 20:27 - Feb 24 with 860 viewsfactual_blue

I don't think the Germans knew they were beaten in the summer/autumn of 1944. And the Allies fighting in Normandy and on the Eastern Front wouldn't have been convinced they were in the last nine months of the war. It may seem obvious to us now, but I doubt it was at the time.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 20:40 - Feb 24 with 807 viewsChurchman

Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 20:27 - Feb 24 by factual_blue

I don't think the Germans knew they were beaten in the summer/autumn of 1944. And the Allies fighting in Normandy and on the Eastern Front wouldn't have been convinced they were in the last nine months of the war. It may seem obvious to us now, but I doubt it was at the time.

Adolf didn’t know he was beaten in the bunker in 1945 - Downfall: great film. The problem was that despite the German army being in bits they'd sworn a personal oath to Hitler so they carried on. I get the impression feelings for the allies went from optimism to frustration over the time it was taking to worrying about carving up Europe.

Antony Beevor’s book Berlin: The Downfall is the best end of the war book I’ve read. Readable and fascinating how a country can unravel along with the accompanying nightmare.
Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 22:18 - Feb 24 with 715 viewsfactual_blue

Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 20:40 - Feb 24 by Churchman

Adolf didn’t know he was beaten in the bunker in 1945 - Downfall: great film. The problem was that despite the German army being in bits they'd sworn a personal oath to Hitler so they carried on. I get the impression feelings for the allies went from optimism to frustration over the time it was taking to worrying about carving up Europe.

Antony Beevor’s book Berlin: The Downfall is the best end of the war book I’ve read. Readable and fascinating how a country can unravel along with the accompanying nightmare.

Sir Ian Kershaw's The End is fascinating too.

Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 23:37 - Feb 24 with 638 viewsChurchman

Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 22:18 - Feb 24 by factual_blue

Sir Ian Kershaw's The End is fascinating too.

I’ll read that ta. Kershaw is a good author. Just finished Max Hastings Catastrophe about the start of WW1. Interesting and important, but he is a difficult author to read and is not as objective as I would like. It was particularly noticeable in respect of his short commentary on the early war at sea which is a subject I know a little about. Also with his WW2 book about Chastise/617 Squadron where there were inaccuracies and poor conclusions for me.
Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 09:43 - Feb 25 with 483 viewsfactual_blue

Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 23:37 - Feb 24 by Churchman

I’ll read that ta. Kershaw is a good author. Just finished Max Hastings Catastrophe about the start of WW1. Interesting and important, but he is a difficult author to read and is not as objective as I would like. It was particularly noticeable in respect of his short commentary on the early war at sea which is a subject I know a little about. Also with his WW2 book about Chastise/617 Squadron where there were inaccuracies and poor conclusions for me.

Also try Kershaw's 'Bolton Priory: The Economy of a Northern Monastery, 1268-1325'.

It' s the same guy; he's a medievalist at heart.

Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 13:52 - Feb 25 with 419 viewsChurchman

Aged 48, I am now the oldest member of my family yet to be vaccinated. on 09:43 - Feb 25 by factual_blue

Also try Kershaw's 'Bolton Priory: The Economy of a Northern Monastery, 1268-1325'.

It' s the same guy; he's a medievalist at heart.

I’ll have a go at that too ta. I’m interested in all history, including medieval.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024