Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Article in the Guardian about 1981 14:03 - May 5 with 1373 viewskingberra

Apologies if already posted- Good article in the Guardian about the 1981 season/team

https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2021/may/05/bobby-ro

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:20 - May 5 with 1300 viewsPJH

Thank you for posting.

That was a truly great ITFC team but as the article says, we were too successful for our own good and that cost us.

Having been on for three trophies late in the season to ONLY win The UEFA Cup was a disappointment.
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:34 - May 5 with 1255 viewsSteve_M

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:20 - May 5 by PJH

Thank you for posting.

That was a truly great ITFC team but as the article says, we were too successful for our own good and that cost us.

Having been on for three trophies late in the season to ONLY win The UEFA Cup was a disappointment.

14 more matches than Villa over the run in. Shame we didn't lose that cup tie really.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:41 - May 5 with 1233 viewsPJH

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:34 - May 5 by Steve_M

14 more matches than Villa over the run in. Shame we didn't lose that cup tie really.

Losing 6 of our last 8 League games, although the last one did not matter, was shattering. If we had won 2 of those 6 or won 1 and drawn 2 or even drawn 4 of them that would have given us the title.

Losing those 2 games at Easter after having beaten Villa at Villa Park was where it really crumbled.
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:50 - May 5 with 1204 viewslongtimefan

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:41 - May 5 by PJH

Losing 6 of our last 8 League games, although the last one did not matter, was shattering. If we had won 2 of those 6 or won 1 and drawn 2 or even drawn 4 of them that would have given us the title.

Losing those 2 games at Easter after having beaten Villa at Villa Park was where it really crumbled.

Being at Villa Park to witness the cup defeat and then 2 days later (Easter Monday if I remember correctly) at Carrot Road was a real sickner.
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:53 - May 5 with 1188 viewsPJH

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:50 - May 5 by longtimefan

Being at Villa Park to witness the cup defeat and then 2 days later (Easter Monday if I remember correctly) at Carrot Road was a real sickner.

We lost at home to Arsenal two days before the Easter Monday trip to Norfolk. We had won 2-1 at Villa the Tuesday before having lost the F.A. Cup SF at Villa Park the Saturday before that.
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 15:04 - May 5 with 1159 viewsRyorry

Cheers for posting. I remember that last Saturday of the league season very well, I'd been at an OU day-school all day, & one of the tutors was most concerned to come out of the building & see me with grim face almost in tears as I was listening to the sports news on my car radio!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 15:14 - May 5 with 1132 viewslongtimefan

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 14:53 - May 5 by PJH

We lost at home to Arsenal two days before the Easter Monday trip to Norfolk. We had won 2-1 at Villa the Tuesday before having lost the F.A. Cup SF at Villa Park the Saturday before that.

Ah. My memory’s not what it was, other than getting the Easter Monday bit right. I certainly remember feeling like the sky had fallen in after the Monday match though
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 15:43 - May 5 with 1095 viewsChurchman

Great article. They were a brilliant team. No wonder Clough wanted to play the cup replay right there and then. He knew how good we were with fresh legs.

We’d had been a good top end team since the 72/73 season but the 1979-82 side was something else.
Login to get fewer ads

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 17:57 - May 5 with 980 viewsPJH

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 15:43 - May 5 by Churchman

Great article. They were a brilliant team. No wonder Clough wanted to play the cup replay right there and then. He knew how good we were with fresh legs.

We’d had been a good top end team since the 72/73 season but the 1979-82 side was something else.

Yes there was a huge difference in style of play between the early and mid 1970's team and the way we played with The Dutchmen.

SBR was a master at making the best use of what he had available.

He initially built on Bill McGarry's 1967/68 promotion side and added key players like Allan Hunter and Bryan Hamilton plus having players of the calibre of George Burley and The Beat come through.

Mick Mills was a constant through the whole era

Great times.
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 18:32 - May 5 with 915 viewsMeadowlark

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 17:57 - May 5 by PJH

Yes there was a huge difference in style of play between the early and mid 1970's team and the way we played with The Dutchmen.

SBR was a master at making the best use of what he had available.

He initially built on Bill McGarry's 1967/68 promotion side and added key players like Allan Hunter and Bryan Hamilton plus having players of the calibre of George Burley and The Beat come through.

Mick Mills was a constant through the whole era

Great times.

Don't forget the signings of Jimmy Robertson and Frank Clarke! These two are often overlooked, but they certainly helped in the early days!
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 18:37 - May 5 with 895 viewsshaunmahony

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 18:32 - May 5 by Meadowlark

Don't forget the signings of Jimmy Robertson and Frank Clarke! These two are often overlooked, but they certainly helped in the early days!

Agree 100%. Without signing those 2 to save us from relegation the Bobby Robson era of miracles might never have got going
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 18:59 - May 5 with 862 viewsPJH

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 18:32 - May 5 by Meadowlark

Yes, I don't forget them but admittedly do not always mention them.

We may well have been relegated in 1969/70 without their arrival with them playing the last seven games and getting five goals between them. The four wins and a draw from those games pulled us clear.

The next season was a struggle too but their initial impact on arriving was vital.
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 19:29 - May 5 with 824 viewsChurchman

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 18:59 - May 5 by PJH

Yes, I don't forget them but admittedly do not always mention them.

We may well have been relegated in 1969/70 without their arrival with them playing the last seven games and getting five goals between them. The four wins and a draw from those games pulled us clear.

The next season was a struggle too but their initial impact on arriving was vital.

Me neither. Frank Clarke was literally Allan Clarke’s poor relation, but he did a job for us. Other players not mentioned are David Best and Colin Harper. Best was a really good keeper; a lot better than Sivell and dare I commit heresy by saying better than Cooper too. Harper was a really solid full back and important in the early Robson years along with key midfielder Viljoen.

Oddly, I found all three’s autographs the other day in a programme I was bought at the 1972 Daily Express 5 a Side at the Empire Pool Wembley. Wembley Arena to the yoof of t’day.

Another good solid player for us at the time was Ian Collard.
[Post edited 5 May 2021 19:35]
Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 19:37 - May 5 with 791 viewsvilanovablue

Article in the Guardian about 1981 on 15:04 - May 5 by Ryorry

Cheers for posting. I remember that last Saturday of the league season very well, I'd been at an OU day-school all day, & one of the tutors was most concerned to come out of the building & see me with grim face almost in tears as I was listening to the sports news on my car radio!

Remember listening to one of the games on a car journey either to or from my grandparents.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024