Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Change of Subject time - Virgin Galactic 11:37 - Jul 12 with 388 viewsKeno

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57797297

Can't decide what I think of think of especially as there is some debate as you whether its actually reach space.

Apparently there is a thing call the Karman Line which defines where Space starts and Branson's venture doesnt cross that

Should we be surprised a craft call Virgin didnt make it all the way?
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 11:37]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Change of Subject time - Virgin Galactic on 11:40 - Jul 12 with 371 viewsVaughan8

Ah. Now I know the real reason why Virgin didn't refund me my holiday for about 4 months haha
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 11:40]
Change of Subject time - Virgin Galactic on 12:36 - Jul 12 with 336 viewsGuthrum

The edge of space is not a precise boundary, hence the debate about at what altitude it sits. Karman himself originally defined it as just above 80km, around the height that Branson's vessel reached.

The US has always gone with 50 miles (80km*), the FAI 100km (62 miles). The atmosphere actually extends well beyond that, just getting thinner and thinner all the time.

For orbital flight, this is largely irrelevant, as you can't circulate that low without the drag slowing you enough to fall back to earth. It only matters for sub-orbital lobs, which are just a matter of prestige.

I would say I have a bit more respect for Virgin and SpaceX than Bezos' efforts, as both the former two (especially Musk) have produced semi-reuseable, relatively cheap satellite launch systems, rather than only doing ultra-expensive space tourism.

* My typo, meant 80, not 62
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 13:01]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Change of Subject time - Virgin Galactic on 18:42 - Jul 12 with 254 viewsfactual_blue

Change of Subject time - Virgin Galactic on 12:36 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

The edge of space is not a precise boundary, hence the debate about at what altitude it sits. Karman himself originally defined it as just above 80km, around the height that Branson's vessel reached.

The US has always gone with 50 miles (80km*), the FAI 100km (62 miles). The atmosphere actually extends well beyond that, just getting thinner and thinner all the time.

For orbital flight, this is largely irrelevant, as you can't circulate that low without the drag slowing you enough to fall back to earth. It only matters for sub-orbital lobs, which are just a matter of prestige.

I would say I have a bit more respect for Virgin and SpaceX than Bezos' efforts, as both the former two (especially Musk) have produced semi-reuseable, relatively cheap satellite launch systems, rather than only doing ultra-expensive space tourism.

* My typo, meant 80, not 62
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 13:01]

We need a proper boundary.

And a wall.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024