Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like we’re signing good quality players 07:29 - Jul 15 with 750 viewsVic

Every position filled appears to be an upgrade on the players we had last season.

Here’s a question for those of you who follow things more widely - taking off your blue tinted glasses, do you think these players are better than those brought in by Blackpool or Lincoln last season? They both had big squad rebuilds, but were the players the same caliber as our present incomings?
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 7:30]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 07:57 - Jul 15 with 646 viewshomer_123

Difficult to complain about those that we have signed so far. For a League 1 club I'd say that they are as good, if not better than I had hoped.

In some areas on par with Blackpool and Lincoln - in others better.

I cannot fault what's happened so far, though if I were to be very picky, we do need a defender or two now.

That said, this is just half the work that needs to be done. We now need to see PC put those players together, playing the way he wants and getting the results we need.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 8:06]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 09:08 - Jul 15 with 541 viewsGuthrum

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 07:57 - Jul 15 by homer_123

Difficult to complain about those that we have signed so far. For a League 1 club I'd say that they are as good, if not better than I had hoped.

I cannot fault what's happened so far, though if I were to be very picky, we do need a defender or two now.

That said, this is just half the work that needs to be done. We now need to see PC put those players together, playing the way he wants and getting the results we need.

One thing which strikes me about this window is that, yes, we have spent reasonable money, but, net of player sales, it's not been that much. Plus with the large number offloaded, our wage bill seems unlikely to have risen, either. The increase in efficiency is the biggest bonus to date from the takeover.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 09:39 - Jul 15 with 495 viewshomer_123

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 09:08 - Jul 15 by Guthrum

One thing which strikes me about this window is that, yes, we have spent reasonable money, but, net of player sales, it's not been that much. Plus with the large number offloaded, our wage bill seems unlikely to have risen, either. The increase in efficiency is the biggest bonus to date from the takeover.

Yes, agreed - feels like we are doing some 'sensible' business, certainly to date.

I do wonder at what point we really push the boat out?

Celina, Crooks and Gibson would, I suspect, see us start to push boundaries etc.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 09:54 - Jul 15 with 447 viewsjayessess

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 09:08 - Jul 15 by Guthrum

I think it really speaks to just how much the football club stagnated after that awful Hurst Summer. Bialkowski and Harrison aside we never seemed to make much effort to get players off the books, either by letting contracts expire or by proactively selling them. We spurned opportunities to move Jackson, Donacien, Nolan, Nsiala, Judge and Edwards on for fees, extended deals for Chambers, Skuse, Bishop, Sears, Kenlock, never seemed to make much attempt to get Huws off the books. Since the squad was big, most of the additions were loans or stop gaps - people signed cheap to do a job for a bit rather than to permanently improve us.

Strikes me that we more or less had the budget to do this kind of work all along, but just declined to do active squad planning or consistent, considered recruitment.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 10:04 - Jul 15 with 397 viewsbluefunk

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 07:57 - Jul 15 by homer_123

Re defenders, you could take the view that, defensively, we looked fairly solid for the most part, by League 1 standards. The problem was we could never recover from going a goal down, and we weren’t adept (or prepared) at defending from the front, so they were always under pressure. That said, a Mowbray/deVos/McAuley style defender would be great.
Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 10:17 - Jul 15 with 369 viewsjayessess

Looks like we’re signing good quality players on 10:04 - Jul 15 by bluefunk

Re defenders, you could take the view that, defensively, we looked fairly solid for the most part, by League 1 standards. The problem was we could never recover from going a goal down, and we weren’t adept (or prepared) at defending from the front, so they were always under pressure. That said, a Mowbray/deVos/McAuley style defender would be great.

Yeah, ideally, we'd get a few more defenders in, but we conceded scarcely more than the top 4 last season and have subsequently improved the goalkeeper and our defensive midfield. Plus you'd hope we can dictate games a bit better next season and not have as much defending to do full stop.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024