Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question 19:42 - Jul 25 with 772 viewsgtsb1966

Was watching a program on the crime channel and was wondering how many people would gladly have their DNA on file. So many crimes are repeated and could be solved with a DNA database of everyone I'm just wondering who would object to it and why. It's something that sounds so simple yet hasn't been done. Should it be law ?
Question on 19:45 - Jul 25 with 745 viewsMattinLondon

Think there are privacy issues such as why should the state have information like that about the individual.

Aldo, once a criminal has paid their debt to society why should they be treated any differently from other members of society.
Question on 19:49 - Jul 25 with 731 viewsMerseyBlue

Part of me thinks I'd be alright with that, as you say, it would be an invaluable resource to efficiently solve crimes. Another part of me thinks absolutely not. I could envisage a situation where the randomness of the universe could put you at the centre of a crime that you know nothing about. In a world where everyone's DNA is on file, you could see policing being lazier and the burden of proof pushed more onto the defendant.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Question on 19:54 - Jul 25 with 709 viewsJ2BLUE

Question on 19:49 - Jul 25 by MerseyBlue

Part of me thinks I'd be alright with that, as you say, it would be an invaluable resource to efficiently solve crimes. Another part of me thinks absolutely not. I could envisage a situation where the randomness of the universe could put you at the centre of a crime that you know nothing about. In a world where everyone's DNA is on file, you could see policing being lazier and the burden of proof pushed more onto the defendant.

Yep there's a reason no country does this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Question on 19:58 - Jul 25 with 697 viewsMerseyBlue

Question on 19:54 - Jul 25 by J2BLUE

Yep there's a reason no country does this.

Yeah I think when you really consider it, the cons massively outweigh the pros. Being falsely imprisoned must surely be one of the hardest things a person could be put through.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Question on 20:02 - Jul 25 with 676 viewsgtsb1966

Didn't think of that. Could be a valuable tool though when combined with CCTV etc
Question on 20:10 - Jul 25 with 644 viewsMerseyBlue

Question on 20:02 - Jul 25 by gtsb1966

Didn't think of that. Could be a valuable tool though when combined with CCTV etc

Yeah, if you imagine a system where everything is above board and no shortcuts are taken, it would be great in instances such as that. Unfortunately, given all the dodgy things we know have gone on in the past, it would be hard to trust that things would be done right.

Question on 20:33 - Jul 25 with 618 viewsfactual_blue

Google The Phantom of Heilbronn

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Question on 21:08 - Jul 25 with 560 viewsSeablu

No.
Then again, Midsomer Murders would only last 5 mins..
Go on then, I’m in.
Login to get fewer ads

Question on 21:10 - Jul 25 with 558 viewsMerseyBlue

Question on 20:33 - Jul 25 by factual_blue

Google The Phantom of Heilbronn

That is pretty wild, it vaguely rings a bell but I might be thinking of a plot from a film or something.

Question on 22:01 - Jul 25 with 512 viewsfactual_blue

Question on 21:10 - Jul 25 by MerseyBlue

That is pretty wild, it vaguely rings a bell but I might be thinking of a plot from a film or something.

I think that contamination scenario has been used in both CSI and Silent Witness.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Question on 22:26 - Jul 25 with 492 viewsMerseyBlue

Question on 22:01 - Jul 25 by factual_blue

I think that contamination scenario has been used in both CSI and Silent Witness.

Ahh Silent Witness sounds like it might be the one

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024