Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting read; Pompey owners meet with fan groups 12:15 - Oct 22 with 974 viewsIllinoisblue

Sounds like they’re struggling off the pitch to try and make Fratton Park a decent ground. Having to spend millions on upgrades for barely any increase in capacity. No exec boxes either.

https://pompeynewsnow.com/2021/10/21/tony-goodall-fans-conference-minutes-of-mee

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Interesting read; Pompey owners meet with fan groups on 12:24 - Oct 22 with 888 viewstextbackup

absolutely loved my trip to FP mid week.
proper ground, same as cambridge.
obviously when we are in the prem i'll go, but love these grounds much more

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Interesting read; Pompey owners meet with fan groups on 16:17 - Oct 22 with 628 viewsIllinoisblue

Interesting read; Pompey owners meet with fan groups on 12:24 - Oct 22 by textbackup

True, old stadiums have that character and charm. But as new owners are finding out, hard to make money from cow shed stands.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Interesting read; Pompey owners meet with fan groups on 17:44 - Oct 22 with 537 viewsChurchman

Interesting read; Pompey owners meet with fan groups on 12:24 - Oct 22 by textbackup

I love the old grounds too. Even Selhurst Park. It’s part of a club’s identity.

However, there comes a time when you have to move on. A mate of mine loved Roker Park and he was very hostile to the SoL move. He said that when he and his mates first walked into the new ground, they were blown away. ‘What on earth were we on about’ was the view. When I went to White Hart Lane for the NFL game, I was amazed at how good the ground was. It’s a brilliant stadium, albeit located in a god awful hole of an area. Some of the more ‘flat pack’ grounds like Leicester’s, Derby’s, Saints’, left me a bit cold. Better but soulless.

I have no problem completely redeveloping or replacing a ground if financially it benefits the club and as long as it’s done the right way with a bit more style than the three examples above. I believe you can build identity into a new ground if you are prepared to put the money and work into it.

At Portman Road, there’s little of the ground as I first saw it left. The base of Churchmans and the old West Stand/Pioneer? However, unlike Fratton Park, there is plenty of scope to develop facilities at PR, starting with replacing the old East stand and the back of the Pioneer, the corners, getting rid of the peculiar little building under which the players emerge, using the old training pitch better?

Given the constraints, I don’t envy the Portsmouth owners’ task at doing something with FP. It’ll be a job and a half but I wish them well.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2021 17:46]
Interesting read; Pompey owners meet with fan groups on 18:15 - Oct 22 with 468 viewsJ2BLUE

I posted before the season started on here that they would struggle and they seem financially hamstrung by their ground based on their last meeting.

It's good. Hopefully takes them completely out of our path for the foreseeable future. Now if we could just go on a run.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024