Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wes Burns 18:37 - Nov 25 with 1126 viewsBlueNomad

The last few games might indicate he is our most important player. Ticks all the boxes for what we want and is also MB’s main provider.
Wes Burns on 18:50 - Nov 25 with 1080 viewspositivity

statistically speaking our most important player is myles kenlock (2 points per game!).

but burns is indeed our top points scorer in the league

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Wes Burns on 18:59 - Nov 25 with 1054 viewsCokeIsKey

It also shows that most of our attacking success has relied on individual quality from players like Burn rather than playing good football as a team.

It's no surprise our goals have dried up when Bonne is out of form and Burns gets injured.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Wes Burns on 19:03 - Nov 25 with 1040 viewsrfretwell

Wes Burns on 18:59 - Nov 25 by CokeIsKey

It also shows that most of our attacking success has relied on individual quality from players like Burn rather than playing good football as a team.

It's no surprise our goals have dried up when Bonne is out of form and Burns gets injured.

You've got a point there. Hes likely to be out for 6 weeks or so presumably as its a hamstring.
Wes Burns on 19:19 - Nov 25 with 990 viewstractordownsouth

Completely agree.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Wes Burns on 20:07 - Nov 25 with 911 viewsHighgateBlue

I don't think Bonne could possibly be expected to have contributed more (well, barring the hilarious open goal miss, but that's entertainment of sorts...). All strikers go through lean patches, and so far he's been ace.

But barring Bonne, yes, I agree with you. Burns is the one player that I was impressed by from the off, and haven't really questioned that opinion ever since. The Frasers, Celinas, Edwardses, Chaplins have been up and down to different degrees.

Donacien has been solid and largely consistent, but query whether he's the ideal FB in this system.

So for me, if the season were to be ended by another pandemic today, I'd have Bonne as player of the year, closely followed by Burns. I don't deduct points for someone being a loanee in that particular race.

One stat which may or may not be interesting is that according to iFollow we successfully completed 1 out of 21 crosses against Rotherham, sans Burns.
Wes Burns on 20:45 - Nov 25 with 847 viewsChrisd

Wes Burns on 20:07 - Nov 25 by HighgateBlue

I don't think Bonne could possibly be expected to have contributed more (well, barring the hilarious open goal miss, but that's entertainment of sorts...). All strikers go through lean patches, and so far he's been ace.

But barring Bonne, yes, I agree with you. Burns is the one player that I was impressed by from the off, and haven't really questioned that opinion ever since. The Frasers, Celinas, Edwardses, Chaplins have been up and down to different degrees.

Donacien has been solid and largely consistent, but query whether he's the ideal FB in this system.

So for me, if the season were to be ended by another pandemic today, I'd have Bonne as player of the year, closely followed by Burns. I don't deduct points for someone being a loanee in that particular race.

One stat which may or may not be interesting is that according to iFollow we successfully completed 1 out of 21 crosses against Rotherham, sans Burns.

Cook’s system relies on two genuine, out and out wide players and two full backs that like to attack. Seems like we’ve got a couple of areas that still need looking at. Still feel we need a decent CB to partner Edmundson, who has looked a very good signing, an upgrade from Evans in midfield to partner Morsy. We’ve got so many No.10s is it any wonder why a lot of our play was drawn into the middle against Rotherham? We just haven’t got any width in the side. Fraser, Celina and Chaplin are all good players, but not wingers and the fact they can do a job isn’t good enough. Burns is a key player for us and he seems like he plays well with KVY. Donacien has done a very good job and hasn’t let anyone down, he’s really surprised me, but is he the answer for this system? I then look on the other flank is Edwards out best option in that wide role with either Penny or Coulsen behind him? I suppose Aluko is another option, although he’s more a right sided player. Fraser, Celina and Chaplin will have to fight it out for that No.10 position IMO instead of trying to shoehorn them into the side playing them out of position, but this is a common mistake managers make.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Wes Burns on 20:47 - Nov 25 with 842 viewswkj

Not to be understated is the playing relationship he has with Doniacien. They both work well together on the right.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Wes Burns on 21:28 - Nov 25 with 764 viewsDJR

Wes Burns on 20:07 - Nov 25 by HighgateBlue

I agree that Burns is a key player, but his stats don't suggest he is necessarily any more important than, say, Celina or Fraser. According to the BBC, he has 4 goals, 3 assists and has created 8 chances on top of that. In contrast, Celina has 3 goals, 3 assists and has created 15 chances, and Fraser has 1 goal, 2 assists and has created 21 chances. Admittedly, he is our most exciting player, largely because of his pace, but in the many games I have seen his crossing has been as hit and miss as Gwion Edwards. Interestingly, all of our attacking midfielders pale into insignificance in comparison with Scott Twine who has 9 goals, 4 assists and has created 39 chances.
Login to get fewer ads

Wes Burns on 12:39 - Nov 26 with 452 viewsHighgateBlue

Wes Burns on 21:28 - Nov 25 by DJR

I agree that Burns is a key player, but his stats don't suggest he is necessarily any more important than, say, Celina or Fraser. According to the BBC, he has 4 goals, 3 assists and has created 8 chances on top of that. In contrast, Celina has 3 goals, 3 assists and has created 15 chances, and Fraser has 1 goal, 2 assists and has created 21 chances. Admittedly, he is our most exciting player, largely because of his pace, but in the many games I have seen his crossing has been as hit and miss as Gwion Edwards. Interestingly, all of our attacking midfielders pale into insignificance in comparison with Scott Twine who has 9 goals, 4 assists and has created 39 chances.

Those stats are interesting, and food for thought. I certainly wouldn't have expected Fraser's 'chances' figure to be as high as 21. It's amazing how one's impressions can be off, and the data now available does make one think a bit more carefully about impression and bias. Having said that, the concept of a "chance" is quite a subjective one, and even if something is a chance, there's chances and there's chances...

Maybe Burns' chances are better quality than others, or converted more frequently, or maybe, as you imply, I am allowing subjective considerations to get in the way of the facts. He seems to have a good points per game record for those games he's started (although I don't have chapter and verse on that).

Twine is exciting at this level, and at his age has bags of room for improvement. If we were short on players in that position, it might have been worth trying to prise him away in January, but given the juggling that already has to be done, it looks far-fetched. I'd rather have him in the squad than Barry though.

And I would certainly countenance a swap deal if they'd throw in that Liam Manning ;)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024