Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer spend 2021 20:54 - May 22 with 1598 viewsEssexBloo

I was thinking about what we actually spent last summer but it isn’t easy to find out exact fees. Anyone have a rough guess at what we spent versus transfers out?
Transfer spend 2021 on 21:03 - May 22 with 1554 viewsDinDjarin

I would say we spent very little after you a count up the players we sold.

Most would have been on salaries and 3 yr contracts.
Transfer spend 2021 on 08:43 - May 23 with 1200 viewsmarkchips

Transfer spend 2021 on 21:03 - May 22 by DinDjarin

I would say we spent very little after you a count up the players we sold.

Most would have been on salaries and 3 yr contracts.

I would agree with that, with the sheer weight of players out of the club which has continued , quite possibly a tiny loss.

Ashton and his team really have done a great job so far.
Transfer spend 2021 on 08:49 - May 23 with 1186 viewsitfcjoe

Something like this:

Burn - 150
Harper - 300
Hladky - 300
Fraser - 600
Edmundson - 800
Chaplin - 750
Burgess - 750
Morsy - 150
Walton - 150

So just a shade under £4m

Plus loan fees for Bonne, Celina, Walton which wouldn't have come cheap

ANd we brought in something like

Dozzell - 1m
Hawkins - 50
Lankester - 50
Drinan - 75
Gibbs - 500
Bishop - 225
Downes - 1.5m
Fraser - 450

So about broke even on fees

But the wage bill will have taken a monstrous increase - wouldn't surprise me if our playing budget was doubled from the season before

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Transfer spend 2021 on 12:50 - May 23 with 996 viewsEssexBloo

Transfer spend 2021 on 08:49 - May 23 by itfcjoe

Something like this:

Burn - 150
Harper - 300
Hladky - 300
Fraser - 600
Edmundson - 800
Chaplin - 750
Burgess - 750
Morsy - 150
Walton - 150

Dozzell - 1m
Hawkins - 50
Lankester - 50
Drinan - 75
Gibbs - 500
Bishop - 225
Downes - 1.5m
Fraser - 450

But the wage bill will have taken a monstrous increase - wouldn't surprise me if our playing budget was doubled from the season before

Thanks Joe, I was wondering if we can draw an inference on likely budgets for this summer. Looking at your figures it would seem unlikely we would be spending, for example, £2m on a player then.
Transfer spend 2021 on 13:07 - May 23 with 939 viewsPassit2Gio

Transfer spend 2021 on 08:43 - May 23 by markchips

I would agree with that, with the sheer weight of players out of the club which has continued , quite possibly a tiny loss.

Ashton and his team really have done a great job so far.

This is likely not what a lot fans want to hear I find it interesting that you think Ashton has done a “great” job….

Yes, he speaks very well and has galvanised a disillusioned fan base starved of any success or excitement in 20+ years, with the help of a lot of financial backing! He’s also brought in McKenna, which potentially could be a masterstroke, as he’s clearly a very talented coach and potentially a premier league manager (hopefully with us) in future.

However, from a transfer fee perspective I’d suggest the sale of Downes for an estimated £1.5m was misjudged and the fee paid for Burgess in particular was too high for the calibre of player.

But the main thing is the giant wage bill (estimated £9.7m per year + £1m agent fees). Celina was on more than £20k per week, which is madness, with Pigott also collecting £8k per week. Morsy was a coup, but he’s still on £10kpw so Ashton has only managed to bring these players in by paying them Championship level wages, stretching our wage limit to its fullest capacity.

Compare this to Wigan’s estimated wage bill of £6.2m per year, I’d suggest their executive team are doing a great job. I’m praying under his tenure he does succeed and we do become successful and a well run football club, but I think to say he is doing a great job on current results is misinformed,
Transfer spend 2021 on 15:02 - May 23 with 802 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Transfer spend 2021 on 12:50 - May 23 by EssexBloo

Thanks Joe, I was wondering if we can draw an inference on likely budgets for this summer. Looking at your figures it would seem unlikely we would be spending, for example, £2m on a player then.

Not sure this Summer will be comparable really, for a couple of reasons - firstly that less of an overhaul is required and secondly because we are unlikely to be able to recoup anywhere near as much in fees as we did last year (vast majority of the income from Downes/Dozzell/Gibbs)

My best guess is we see some smaller outgoings and 3/4 decent signings made, probably just a question of how decent. I imagine most will be similar to last season and certainly think some of the names that have been mentioned on here are fanciful, but wouldn’t be surprised to see one £1m+ signing up top to try and make a difference, especially given the lack of goals and 11th placed finish last year

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Transfer spend 2021 on 20:21 - May 23 with 627 viewsVeggie

Transfer spend 2021 on 08:49 - May 23 by itfcjoe

Something like this:

Burn - 150
Harper - 300
Hladky - 300
Fraser - 600
Edmundson - 800
Chaplin - 750
Burgess - 750
Morsy - 150
Walton - 150

Dozzell - 1m
Hawkins - 50
Lankester - 50
Drinan - 75
Gibbs - 500
Bishop - 225
Downes - 1.5m
Fraser - 450

If true, £150k for Walton is a master stroke. He could easily be playing Premier League and be worth £10m+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024