Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players who may surprise and look better a level up? 22:57 - May 23 with 1775 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Some players can shine at a higher level due to more time on tue ball and a less physical nature. I remember Jama surprising me when we were promoted to the Prem. A player I thought was decent in the Championship but more comfortable in Premier League.

Maybe Kyle Edwards will shine more next season?
Players who may surprise and look better a level up? on 23:24 - May 23 with 1667 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Defo Edwards. I don't want us to lose him this summer.
Players who may surprise and look better a level up? on 03:25 - May 24 with 1533 viewsVegtablue

Plenty of merit to OP. Controversially though, I'm not convinced by this widely held view, that the Championship will afford us more time on the ball and is less physical in nature. Perhaps I'm reinterpreting what it means to be physical on the pitch, but I would argue the PL is the most physically demanding and every tier below sees a drop-off.

Aerial duels, tackles and interceptions should be broadly higher in League One, but isn't this due to less technical players and more agricultural tactics? I predict we will confront pressing tactics more often next season, which will lead to more space for attacking players if we're able to work through to them, but I'm not sure this will equate to the feeling of more time on the ball. Instinctively, the opposition will be fitter and we'll experience more periods like the first 30 mins of Barnsley away, when the team was struggling to find out-balls under serious pressure. The low block has been a common tactic against us this season, which makes the final third very congested but also affords our players a lot of time outside key areas, with opposition players not wanting to open up the space. A trickster like Edwards then has more time to set up his 1v1s on the wings, whereas a player like Burns maybe suffers from a lack of room to run into. I say 'maybe suffers' because the Championship alternative is likely faster, stronger and more technical fullbacks.

In respect to physicality, again my prediction is for Championship players to be broadly more powerful, as it's that bit more competitive and professional. They'll be more mobile too. We're a fit team so are well-equipped for these challenges, but I doubt Morsy and Luongo will be able to physically dominate the middle as often as they have this season. An extreme example probably is Luton, who excelled in these attributes. I think there's even a case for Pep's Man City being the hardest team to play against physically in 2023, as without the ball they hunt you down with a collective relentlessness. Then you have to run a lot against them obviously lol: data for the 2020/21 season showed a PL player covered 63 metres more at high intensity per 90 mins than their Championship equivalent, while PL teams ran 4 km further per 90 mins (L1 data not available).

My two pennies anyway.
Players who may surprise and look better a level up? on 06:38 - May 24 with 1345 viewsbobbyramsey

Dozer…..

Oh!
Players who may surprise and look better a level up? on 07:01 - May 24 with 1311 viewsPioneerBlue

Players who may surprise and look better a level up? on 03:25 - May 24 by Vegtablue

Plenty of merit to OP. Controversially though, I'm not convinced by this widely held view, that the Championship will afford us more time on the ball and is less physical in nature. Perhaps I'm reinterpreting what it means to be physical on the pitch, but I would argue the PL is the most physically demanding and every tier below sees a drop-off.

Aerial duels, tackles and interceptions should be broadly higher in League One, but isn't this due to less technical players and more agricultural tactics? I predict we will confront pressing tactics more often next season, which will lead to more space for attacking players if we're able to work through to them, but I'm not sure this will equate to the feeling of more time on the ball. Instinctively, the opposition will be fitter and we'll experience more periods like the first 30 mins of Barnsley away, when the team was struggling to find out-balls under serious pressure. The low block has been a common tactic against us this season, which makes the final third very congested but also affords our players a lot of time outside key areas, with opposition players not wanting to open up the space. A trickster like Edwards then has more time to set up his 1v1s on the wings, whereas a player like Burns maybe suffers from a lack of room to run into. I say 'maybe suffers' because the Championship alternative is likely faster, stronger and more technical fullbacks.

In respect to physicality, again my prediction is for Championship players to be broadly more powerful, as it's that bit more competitive and professional. They'll be more mobile too. We're a fit team so are well-equipped for these challenges, but I doubt Morsy and Luongo will be able to physically dominate the middle as often as they have this season. An extreme example probably is Luton, who excelled in these attributes. I think there's even a case for Pep's Man City being the hardest team to play against physically in 2023, as without the ball they hunt you down with a collective relentlessness. Then you have to run a lot against them obviously lol: data for the 2020/21 season showed a PL player covered 63 metres more at high intensity per 90 mins than their Championship equivalent, while PL teams ran 4 km further per 90 mins (L1 data not available).

My two pennies anyway.

I agree with you. Higher level better athletes and by virtue not seeing the more time on the ball, only perhaps in the places we’ve seen before l; along parts of the back line. We don’t know who in the team will survive, thrive or even die away under new pressure at the next level. It may take talented younger ones a season to get the level, it might spit out the older ones because the game has revolved. We don’t know. We trust KMcK to collect the right profiles and attributes to compete, and we trust the culture and coaching to build/maintain strong momentum.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Players who may surprise and look better a level up? on 07:16 - May 24 with 1258 viewsArnieM

We’re making the pitch longer, and we making it wider too? I ask because we create space and attack space so if the pitch is that much bigger it will greatly help our tactical approach.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Players who may surprise and look better a level up? on 07:52 - May 24 with 1153 viewsCityBlue

the one major difference in the Championship will be speed. A much quicker game and one would hope much more consistent officials.

I T I D

Players who may surprise and look better a level up? on 07:54 - May 24 with 1147 viewsBondiBlue

If edwards can't get in the team in a league where we have to do very little defending, i can't see him getting into the team in a league where we have to do q lot more defending. Maybe i'm oversimplifying it.

Poll: Which would you accept?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024