Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car bodywork repair 09:18 - Aug 15 with 710 viewswiganblue

I'd damaged my car when turning in a tight spot and dented / scrapped the bumper.

Went to the bodyshop who recommend replacing the bumper as this will obviously give a better finish (given there is damage to the panel and the plastic trim.

They suggested using a patent bumper but I am concerned how it will look but there is an obvious £200 saving vs an original Nissan part. Has anyone has a patent bumper put on and could you tell?

Thank you.
Car bodywork repair on 09:31 - Aug 15 with 659 viewsChurchman

I think it depends on the age of your car. If it was me and the car was say less than five years old and I was keeping it, I’d definitely pay extra for a manufacturers part. If older I’d consider a pattern part. A body shop should be fully capable of getting the fit right and after that it’s very much how good the preparation and paint job is.

This is just my view. Good luck with it - we’ve all been there.
Car bodywork repair on 09:45 - Aug 15 with 617 viewsNthQldITFC

There's a hideous amount of wastage of perfectly good, repairable components in motor vehicles, just because people are absolutely anal about their pride and joy. It's actually obscene.

From whole cars written off and scrapped after a minor ding because it's financially more viable for the insurance company, to whole body components being replaced because of a little scratch. It's disgusting behaviour in a dying world.

This is a general comment rather than specific to your enquiry, but we need to reset our values as a species if we wish to survive and have a functioning natural world around us.

Edit: I do recognise from the description of your damage that there's more of a case for replacement.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 9:51]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Car bodywork repair on 10:00 - Aug 15 with 553 viewsmattrolow

Ask the bodyshop if they can offer green parts at all - second hand parts taken off vehicles which are total losses but are absolutely fine. I.e. vehicle has a front end collision and is an absolute mess and written off, back bumper is untouched and good as new. Can buy these for a fraction of the price.

This will be a massive saving for you and you'll get an original part too.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 10:22]
Car bodywork repair on 10:13 - Aug 15 with 532 viewsmarinerno_9

i work in a Bodyshop.

if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long period you cannot go wrong with a genuine.

but as a general rule non oe bumpers are a lot better than they used to be in terms of fit and quality depending on the supplier. Green parts are also a good option but you also need to be wary as it may also be a non oe part you would need to check the markings and part number etc to ensure it is genuine before purchasing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024