Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Returning players and ressies 16:16 - Sep 12 with 790 viewsFrimleyBlue

Mentioned it briefly yesterday.. but curious to know if anyone has seen anything from recent managers about why you don't tend to see players getting minutes for u21s etc when returning from injury.

Used to be the norm where they'd get match fitness via this route with the ressies but you never see it nowadays.

I'm sure you were allowed upto 3 over 21s in the team, perhaps I've got that wrong and that explains it easily?

Any thoughts welcome.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Returning players and ressies on 16:37 - Sep 12 with 706 viewsKeno

Any thoughts welcome eh ...

well, this afternoon I have been wondering

Will the BBC ever make the last series of Tripods

How come comets always know to land in exactly the right size crater

How did Schrodinger manage to that cat into the box, Its bad enough getting them in a basket to take to the Vets

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Returning players and ressies on 16:40 - Sep 12 with 693 viewsPhilTWTD

I think they tend to feel that U21s football doesn't provide much of a challenge, that training every day with their teammates does more to get them up to speed. Having said that, there have been one or two over the last year or so who have had games in the 21s before returning to first-team action.
Returning players and ressies on 16:42 - Sep 12 with 678 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

We suffered as soon as we lost our Premier League reserve status about 15 years ago, where we lost our method to test our second string adequately. We had some success at that level and it helped bring players back and through who we might have otherwise lost out on. The category system and U21s/23s rebranding further altered this process. I believe Keane did bring the reserves back in some form by entering competition in the Suffolk Cups but it was soon cut due to the budget.

Maybe there is some merit in what European clubs do and setting up an Ipswich Town B side to compete lower down the pyramid for that very purpose, rather then send kids out on loan to clubs at that level anyway, or lose match sharpness for the second string, or as you say carefully return an injured player without throwing them into a first team game, this would be a good option for the club? Basically what pre-season does for everyone too. It also helps younger players to mix with veterans and first teamers.
Returning players and ressies on 16:54 - Sep 12 with 627 viewsRocky

Fringe 1st teamers or players returning from injury are rarely asked these days to travel to away games. They are all youngsters who make those long trips. Home games is where you will see the odd fringe player or returnee.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024