Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just one of those days 19:55 - Jan 27 with 687 viewsDJR

according to Stuart Watson, and I agree. And fair play to Maidstone.
Just one of those days on 11:18 - Jan 28 with 408 viewsDJR

Here's what Stuart Watson says in writing.

"Ultimately, every ingredient you need for an FA Cup upset of this magnitude all came together.

The favourites wasted some glorious chances during a dominant opening spell, most notably through Aluko and Edmundson.

The underdogs also got the bit of fortune they needed when shots from Sarmiento and Hutchinson both came back off the woodwork inside the opening 10 minutes.

Maidstone, by contrast, were ultra clinical on their rare breakaways. Lamar Reynolds’ dinked finish to break the deadlock just before half-time was sublime, while Sam Corne was equally ice cool when picking his spot to restore the lead in the 66th minute.

The Kent side’s keeper, Lucas Covolan, had the game of his life, making several outstanding saves.

And the visitors also got the rub of the green from the referee too. Anthony Taylor failed to spot a clear shirt pull on Sarmiento in the build-up to the winner and could easily have given a penalty to Ipswich when Edmundson went to ground (perhaps a little dramatically) in the box.

Ipswich had 78% possession. The shot count was 38-2. The corner count was 11-0.

Play this game 100 times over and Ipswich win it 99 times. This, frustratingly, was just one of those days."
Just one of those days on 11:21 - Jan 28 with 384 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Just one of those days on 11:18 - Jan 28 by DJR

Here's what Stuart Watson says in writing.

"Ultimately, every ingredient you need for an FA Cup upset of this magnitude all came together.

The favourites wasted some glorious chances during a dominant opening spell, most notably through Aluko and Edmundson.

The underdogs also got the bit of fortune they needed when shots from Sarmiento and Hutchinson both came back off the woodwork inside the opening 10 minutes.

Maidstone, by contrast, were ultra clinical on their rare breakaways. Lamar Reynolds’ dinked finish to break the deadlock just before half-time was sublime, while Sam Corne was equally ice cool when picking his spot to restore the lead in the 66th minute.

The Kent side’s keeper, Lucas Covolan, had the game of his life, making several outstanding saves.

And the visitors also got the rub of the green from the referee too. Anthony Taylor failed to spot a clear shirt pull on Sarmiento in the build-up to the winner and could easily have given a penalty to Ipswich when Edmundson went to ground (perhaps a little dramatically) in the box.

Ipswich had 78% possession. The shot count was 38-2. The corner count was 11-0.

Play this game 100 times over and Ipswich win it 99 times. This, frustratingly, was just one of those days."

And he's 100% correct. In the first 15 I thought we were about to run up a cricket score.

Then Maidstone got everyone behind the ball and defended for their lives, we played too high, dis-respected them a little if I'm honest, and got caught on the break twice. It happens.
[Post edited 28 Jan 11:28]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Just one of those days on 11:26 - Jan 28 with 355 viewsRyorry

Just one of those days on 11:21 - Jan 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

And he's 100% correct. In the first 15 I thought we were about to run up a cricket score.

Then Maidstone got everyone behind the ball and defended for their lives, we played too high, dis-respected them a little if I'm honest, and got caught on the break twice. It happens.
[Post edited 28 Jan 11:28]

That high press of ours yesterday leaving no-one back to cover the inevitable breakaways was a tactical error by KM imho - and this is the first time I've ever really criticised him I think!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just one of those days on 11:26 - Jan 28 with 355 viewsgainsboroughblue

If we had have scored one of those chances in the first 15 or so, it's a completely different day. Even when we pulled it back to 1-1, it should have been a different outcome.

I wasn't entirely shocked we went 1 down, that should have been the cup magic incident of the game, but to then go 2-1 down after equalising, I was absolutely gobsmacked.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024