Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Sheffield United 0-0 Ipswich Town - Half-Time
Saturday, 14th Oct 2017 16:05

Town’s game against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane remains 0-0 at half-time.

Striker Joe Garner missed out having picked up a knee injury as Town made three changes from the team which lost 3-1 to Bristol City a fortnight ago.

Bersant Celina and Jordan Spence dropped to the bench, while Myles Kenlock, Grant Ward and Adam Webster - who was making his first league start since January - all came into the XI in a 3-5-2 system matching the Blades’ formation.

Webster was to the right of skipper Luke Chambers with Jonas Knudsen to his left. Myles Kenlock and Dominic Iorfa were the wing-backs.

Tommy Smith was on the bench, back in the matchday squad for the first time since recovering from his hamstring injury.

Neither side threatened in the opening 10 minutes at a warm and sunny Bramall Lane, although the home side had most of the ball.

Town’s first serious attack came on 12, Knudsen playing a well-weighted ball down the left for McGoldrick, who cut in and found strike partner Martyn Waghorn but the former Rangers man was crowded out as he looked to turn and get in a shot.

But the Blades were looking the more dangerous side and on 18, following a freekick harshly awarded against Kenlock, Chris Basham returned the ball into the area but beyond all his team-mates and it was turned behind for the first of several home corners.

On 24 Jack O’Connell rose above Webster from John Fleck’s corner but nodded the ball well into the stand housing the Town support.

There was a scare for the Blues four minutes later when possession was lost on the right after Chambers and Iorfa were put under pressure and the skipper slipped. Bialkowski closed down Billy Sharp who cut the ball back and, with the Town keeper out of his goal, Webster was able to clear .

Enda Stevens sent in a dangerous cross from the left which flew across the area without anyone getting a touch, moments before the Blues won their first corner of the game on a rare foray into the Blades’ half. However, it came to nothing.

On 32 - Town having switched their system with Webster ahead of the back four and Waghorn and Ward wide - Waghorn sent McGoldrick away with a clever ball down the right and the Irish international crossed low but too far in front of Ward, who was breaking into the area at the far post.

A minute later, Leon Clarke was booked for an untidy foul on Ward, much to the frustration of the home fans, who may have had a point, although up to then they had had much the better of referee Tony Harrington’s over-fussy approach to officiating.

The Blues were starting come more and more into the game and on 34 Waghorn smashed a shot from distance on the right which home keeper Jamal Blackman palmed behind. From the corner, Knudsen won it in the air and headed over. The Dane will feel he should have done better.

Town were inches from going in front in the 37th minute when the ball broke to McGoldrick on the left of the box following Nydam’s shot from Ward’s cross from the left, but the Blues’ number 10’s effort went just wide.

Blades defender Kieron Freeman suffered a knock in the build-up to the chance and following treatment was stretchered off and was replaced by Jake Wright.

McGoldrick scuffed wide from distance in the 43rd minute with the Blues continuing to threaten.

In the second of five minutes of injury time, Chambers’s clearance was charged down by Sharp on the Town right and Knudsen did superbly to prevent the one-time Town target’s low cross from reaching Clarke and Bialkowski equally well to react and avert an own goal.

Blackman was almost embarrassed by McGoldrick two minutes later, the Blues’ striker reaching a long ball before the keeper could claim on the edge of his box but the interception fell helpfully for the on-loan Chelsea man who was able to claim.

The Blades wasted a freekick 25 yards out moments before referee Harrington brought the half to an end.

The home side had had much the better of the first half an hour but without creating many clear-cut chances.

Town came into it more in the final 15 minutes following their change of system and Knudsen and McGoldrick may both feel they should have taken their opportunities.

Town: Bialkowski, Iorfa, Chambers (c), Webster, Knudsen, Kenlock, Ward, Skuse, Nydam, Waghorn, McGoldrick. Subs: Gerken, Smith, Celina, Spence, Connolly, Sears, Downes.

Sheffield United: Blackman, Basham, Carter-Vickers, O’Connell, Stevens, Freeman (Wright 40), Fleck, Duffy, Lundstram, Clarke, Sharp (c). Subs: Moore, Donaldson, Hanson, Lafferty, Brooks, Carruthers. Tony Harrington (Cleveland).

Photo: Action Images

Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.

jas0999 added 16:09 - Oct 14
Sounds like Sheffield edged it - just. But we have defended well.

martin587 added 16:19 - Oct 14
Yes,we have defended quite well.!

therein61 added 17:07 - Oct 14
Come in number 8 your time is up

Bluetone added 17:12 - Oct 14
Play for a draw and hope to maybe nick a win works really well doesn't it?

You need to login in order to post your comments

Blogs 280 bloggers

Ipswich Town Polls

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2021