Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? 11:54 - Oct 6 with 48926 viewsPaul_B

Hey folks,

I'm looking to compile a list of every single Town match ever to be shown live on telly. This information doesn't appear to be readily available anywhere on the web so I'm attempting to create it myself with your assistance.

All findings will be edited into this post to form a definitive list.

Thanks for your help.

This should be quite nostalgic if nothing else.

Here we go:

VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST HERE:
==========================
http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk
==========================
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:35]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:00 - Oct 6 with 2324 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:57 - Oct 6 by Superfrans

Interesting fact.

The first time any of the local ITV franchises launched a weekly Sunday afternoon highlights show was when Anglia launched Match Of The Week in 1962. This was a precursor to The Big Match in London, among many others.

The first match it broadcast was Ipswich 2 Wolves 3 at Portman Road.

It's also notable that Hull City were included in the Anglia region at that point and they showed games involving teams such as Bedford Town as well as the league clubs.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:00 - Oct 6 with 2318 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:52 - Oct 6 by Steve_M

95/96 I think, my first year at uni.

Was the Kelvin Lynch game at Carrow Road on Anglia that same year?

Yes, the Lynch game was on Anglia on a Sunday afternoon.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:01 - Oct 6 with 2319 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:58 - Oct 6 by PrideOfTheEast

No it wasn't.

Loads missed here though. Bowditch v Watford game was on sky wasn't it.

Has anybody mentioned beating Leeds 4-2 at home in 92? Sure that was on sky too.

Watford was, Leeds wasn't. It was a Saturday afternoon made even better by Norwich losing 7-1 at Blackburn.

Leeds at home was on tv the year after though, a dull 0-0 most notable for the pitch being a mess.

Also SWFC from 94/95 - Bontcho's penalty is still in orbit somewhere.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:01 - Oct 6 with 2311 viewsN2_Blue

What about Playoffs v West Ham...no one seems to have mentioned them. We played four legs in 2 seasons against them, some of those must have been on TV. I remember watching the 2-0 away on TV when we beat them 1-0 at home in 2003/2004

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:02 - Oct 6 with 2311 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:56 - Oct 6 by KilburnBlue

Other games were when Matt Holland scored a screamer at Sunderland in the 1998/99 season

A Friday night game against Charlton in 1996 where Sedgely scored from a free kick.

& the game where Johnson & Magilton had a punch up

The Magilton / Johnson game was at West Brom in a 1-1 draw. 99-00 season. Johnson had just missed an open goal when we were losing.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:02 - Oct 6 with 2307 viewshoppy

I remember this Spurs one in 2000 when we won 3-0, as I was watching with 1 other Town fan and about 25 Spurs fans in a Spurs pub... they were strangely quiet at the time...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/2995516/Ipswic

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:03 - Oct 6 with 2300 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Stockport County at home in a midweek game towards the end of the 1998-99 season. We won 1-0 and Magilton scored a 30 yard daisy cutter.

I think this was just before the debacle of a home defeat to Crewe which completely derailed our hopes of going up automatically.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:04 - Oct 6 with 2285 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:01 - Oct 6 by N2_Blue

What about Playoffs v West Ham...no one seems to have mentioned them. We played four legs in 2 seasons against them, some of those must have been on TV. I remember watching the 2-0 away on TV when we beat them 1-0 at home in 2003/2004

All were on TV.

Login to get fewer ads

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:04 - Oct 6 with 2283 viewsN2_Blue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:02 - Oct 6 by hoppy

I remember this Spurs one in 2000 when we won 3-0, as I was watching with 1 other Town fan and about 25 Spurs fans in a Spurs pub... they were strangely quiet at the time...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/2995516/Ipswic

I remember this game so well as it was between Xmas and New Year's day and I watched it in a pub in Norwich...we gave a masterclass that day and 6-0 wouldn't have flattered us. The Norwich fans were hating it!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

(No subject) on 13:05 - Oct 6 with 2277 viewsMrBloo

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:53 - Oct 6 by MrBloo

Wasn't there something back in the 60's. Before Alan Brazil's time. I'm sure it was in black and white, before colour TV.

Where are the oldies today who have knowledge of these things?
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 12:54]

post withdrawn
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 13:08]

Poll: Will Paddy Kenny have grow a beard to fit in with the other Keepers?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:06 - Oct 6 with 2275 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:04 - Oct 6 by N2_Blue

I remember this game so well as it was between Xmas and New Year's day and I watched it in a pub in Norwich...we gave a masterclass that day and 6-0 wouldn't have flattered us. The Norwich fans were hating it!

Also the 3-1 win against Bradford from the same season featuring three excellent goals and one excellent non-goal celebration.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:08 - Oct 6 with 2258 viewsMrBloo

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:57 - Oct 6 by Superfrans

Interesting fact.

The first time any of the local ITV franchises launched a weekly Sunday afternoon highlights show was when Anglia launched Match Of The Week in 1962. This was a precursor to The Big Match in London, among many others.

The first match it broadcast was Ipswich 2 Wolves 3 at Portman Road.

My apologies dear boy. I didn't realise you had posted this. I will withdraw my post.

Poll: Will Paddy Kenny have grow a beard to fit in with the other Keepers?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:09 - Oct 6 with 2254 viewsMach_foreignBlue

A few games that spring to my mind that haven't been mentioned as yet.

01/02 home to Leeds 1-2
01/02 away to Aston Villa 1-2 on Monday night, Finidi scored from 25 yards
03/04 home to West Bromwich 2-3 where Lee Hughes was making gestures towards Town fans
03/04 away to Sheffield Utd 1-1, Friday night Westlake scored
04/05 home to Sunderland 2-2 draw, Marcus Stewat missed a pen for them
04/05 Wolves away 0-2
05/06 Cardiff away 1-2 Monday night, Juan scored from free-kick
Two 3-1 wins over QPR from Magilton times (one of them mentioned by Paul B)
07/08 home to Palace 1-0 Walters
10/11 home to Swansea 1-3 where D'Urso didn't give a penalty after the foul on Edwards
11/12 home to Coventry 3-0 on Monday night
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:10 - Oct 6 with 2253 viewsFtnfwest

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:44 - Oct 6 by MrBloo

Don't forget that there used to be a Sunday afternoon football show on Anglia that featured Ipswich Town. I can't remember what it was called but at least I can remember the programme.

match of the week, Gerry Harrison. no live games then though.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:13 - Oct 6 with 2237 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:09 - Oct 6 by Mach_foreignBlue

A few games that spring to my mind that haven't been mentioned as yet.

01/02 home to Leeds 1-2
01/02 away to Aston Villa 1-2 on Monday night, Finidi scored from 25 yards
03/04 home to West Bromwich 2-3 where Lee Hughes was making gestures towards Town fans
03/04 away to Sheffield Utd 1-1, Friday night Westlake scored
04/05 home to Sunderland 2-2 draw, Marcus Stewat missed a pen for them
04/05 Wolves away 0-2
05/06 Cardiff away 1-2 Monday night, Juan scored from free-kick
Two 3-1 wins over QPR from Magilton times (one of them mentioned by Paul B)
07/08 home to Palace 1-0 Walters
10/11 home to Swansea 1-3 where D'Urso didn't give a penalty after the foul on Edwards
11/12 home to Coventry 3-0 on Monday night

2001-02:

1-1 at home to Blackburn
2-3 at home to West Ham (Defoe's first ever goal)

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:13 - Oct 6 with 2232 viewshoppy

Are you planning on just listing the games that have been played, or the scores of those games etc as well?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:15 - Oct 6 with 2214 viewsSuperfrans

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:13 - Oct 6 by hoppy

Are you planning on just listing the games that have been played, or the scores of those games etc as well?

I've expecting a multi-DVD box set of all the matches by the end of the week...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:16 - Oct 6 with 2206 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:15 - Oct 6 by Superfrans

I've expecting a multi-DVD box set of all the matches by the end of the week...

Would make sense... all in full HD quality of course.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:20 - Oct 6 with 2190 viewshatch

Brighton (A) last day of the season in an orange kit in the Royle days .

Hull (H) last day of the season when we won 1-0.

There was also a 3-1 loss or win away at Ninian Park at some point. Feel like Jimmy Juan or someone scored.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:23 - Oct 6 with 2176 viewsJakeITFC

Don't know if mentioned, but a 2-0 defeat at Sunderland was on Sky in 2004/05 - Daryl Knights only appearance for Ipswich.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:26 - Oct 6 with 2162 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Another ones:

01/02 home to Man Utd 0-1 when van Nistelrooy cheated
09/10 away to West Bromwich 0-2, 5.15 kick-off only 200odd Town fans
10/11 away to Cardiff 2-0, Bullard's brace
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:37 - Oct 6 with 2139 views2blue

I'm sure there was a game against Swindon around 1999 during the ITV digital debacle. Think I was one of the 9 people who paid to watch it.

Poll: What would you prefer to happen?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:53 - Oct 6 with 2106 viewsbournemouthblue

How's this list shaping up then, is anyone doing an updated list?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:00 - Oct 6 with 2093 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:53 - Oct 6 by bournemouthblue

How's this list shaping up then, is anyone doing an updated list?

I'm thinking Paul_B is going to have a busy evening updating from our collective memories.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:01 - Oct 6 with 2088 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:13 - Oct 6 by hoppy

Pretty much everything really. The date, kick off time, competition, result, channel(s)... the full works. There's nothing you can post that won't be of use. For now though a base list is what I'm after. Specifics like channels can be researched later.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I will post an updated list at some point to make things easier. I can see that already a few games are being mentioned multiple times.

Just to reiterate, my original list was never supposed to be THE definitive list - just a few games I'd thrown together from memory to start us off. The aim is to make it INTO the definitive list of Town games on TV. Of course, my knowledge only goes back so far anyway so I'm relying on some of the older members here to recall the days prior to Sky television.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 14:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024