Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? 10:51 - Jan 25 with 12502 viewsMattinLondon

For example the name of the stadium, the clubs nickname etc.

For me I would change the kit from blue to a colour which few other teams wear. Personally I would change it to purple as I think that too many teams wear blue.
If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 13:18 - Jan 26 with 1663 viewsRadlett_blue

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 12:27 - Jan 26 by oldbluestu

I think you'll find most of the players left because of Bobby F, great coach but not a manager,

Was he really a "great coach", or a good number 2?
By all accounts, SBR was very hands-on on the training ground & Town players of that era have told me how good SBR was at organising a team.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 13:30 - Jan 26 with 1648 viewshoppy

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 12:29 - Jan 26 by monytowbray

I'd change where I was born to Chelsea.

Did you spell 'Derby' incorrectly?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 13:48 - Jan 26 with 1637 viewsBent_double

I'd just make sure Berra positioned himself about a foot more to his left when Redmond shoots, ball clearly hits his chest, no pen, no sending off.

Tommy still scores at the other end though, which turns out to be the winning goal, we easily beat Boro in the final and are still in the PL now with a great team of young attacking players.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 14:09 - Jan 26 with 1622 viewsBluespeed225

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 13:15 - Jan 26 by Radlett_blue

I disagree with both. Players of a certain age realised they could earn a lot more elsewhere & wanted to leave. While it was pre-Bosman, it still didn't really make sense to keep unhappy players.

The Dutch boys aside ,most lasted till 84'. Players talk, and you could get 350 a week at Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, rather than 250 here, crowd size playing a bigger part in clubs income back then. A big increase! Also, I think the 3 near misses at winning the title, 77', 81', 82', Robson leaving, the lads knew it was done here. Would Fergie have coped with the Pioneer stand costs had he taken over? We'll never know. Strachen would probably have been signed though!
If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 15:24 - Jan 26 with 1597 viewsRadlett_blue

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 14:09 - Jan 26 by Bluespeed225

The Dutch boys aside ,most lasted till 84'. Players talk, and you could get 350 a week at Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, rather than 250 here, crowd size playing a bigger part in clubs income back then. A big increase! Also, I think the 3 near misses at winning the title, 77', 81', 82', Robson leaving, the lads knew it was done here. Would Fergie have coped with the Pioneer stand costs had he taken over? We'll never know. Strachen would probably have been signed though!

The slow break-up of SBR's great side was inevitable, although that didn't make it less painful. I think this was around the time that the rules were changed whereby home clubs kept all the gate money; before, it had been evenly divided & that clearly worked against us. Players like Mariner & Mills were entering the autumn of their careers so I didn't begrudge them a last payday, while equally I didn't blame Warky for going to Liverpool where he would earn more money & certainly was likely to win more trophies. I was annoyed when Muhren went to the hated Man U on a free, but I believe he stayed one extra year with an understanding that he could then have a "free". I didn't think Ferguson was the right man to take over, but even if we'd got a better man in, the decline would still have happened, albeit more slowly.

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 15:44 - Jan 26 with 1582 viewshoppy

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 15:24 - Jan 26 by Radlett_blue

The slow break-up of SBR's great side was inevitable, although that didn't make it less painful. I think this was around the time that the rules were changed whereby home clubs kept all the gate money; before, it had been evenly divided & that clearly worked against us. Players like Mariner & Mills were entering the autumn of their careers so I didn't begrudge them a last payday, while equally I didn't blame Warky for going to Liverpool where he would earn more money & certainly was likely to win more trophies. I was annoyed when Muhren went to the hated Man U on a free, but I believe he stayed one extra year with an understanding that he could then have a "free". I didn't think Ferguson was the right man to take over, but even if we'd got a better man in, the decline would still have happened, albeit more slowly.

WIth regards your last point, if the right Ferguson had been brought in, yes, the dismantling of the 80/81 side may well have still happened, but the rebuilding might've been done slightly differently, with possible different outcome - judging by the crop of really good youngsters that eventually emerged from Old Trafford.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 16:01 - Jan 26 with 1571 viewsLord_Lucan

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 15:24 - Jan 26 by Radlett_blue

That's a very good post - as all yours are to be fair

The thing is we were an ageing side that had underachieved. That sounds harsh but the players knew in their minds that they should have won bucket fulls of trophies. Robson had rebuilt many sides from scratch but he had itchy feet and was still annoyed that the club stopped him from going to Bilbao. As much as I really like Wark as a person he has left us twice for financial gain. Muhren b£ggered off in an instant, as much as a fantastic player he was he was a focussed career man and I don't think he cared that much for the teams he played for but just wanted to do the best for himself and you can't really blame anyone for that. Franz stayed for a season too long that he needed to and I love him for that. I don't really agree that the West stand was the problem, it needed to be built just the same as the churchmans and the North did. At the end of the day we fizzled out.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 16:01 - Jan 26 with 1571 viewsRadlett_blue

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 15:44 - Jan 26 by hoppy

WIth regards your last point, if the right Ferguson had been brought in, yes, the dismantling of the 80/81 side may well have still happened, but the rebuilding might've been done slightly differently, with possible different outcome - judging by the crop of really good youngsters that eventually emerged from Old Trafford.

Yes. If we'd managed to get Alex Ferguson, I think things would almost certainly have been very different. Of course, not sure how long we'd have been able to hang on to him.

Login to get fewer ads

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 16:02 - Jan 26 with 1570 viewschicoazul

Stopped them building the Pioneer stand.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 17:10 - Jan 26 with 1532 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Disagree.

The right appointment in the summer of 1982 would have seen us at least finish in the top 4. We finished 9th, a hell of a drop from the previous two seasons. Within 20 months of Bobby Robson leaving we were fighting a relegation battle we seemed destined to lose. We were saved by Eric Gates, the signing of Alan Sunderland and the emergence of Mark Brennan, Trevor Putney and the outstanding Butcher. How we stayed up that season still amazes me, won six and drew three of out final 10 games.

Out run in saw us beat Manchester United, Spurs, Norwich and Villa, we drew 2-2 with Forest and away to Liverpool, incredible run.

Getting back to the point, there's no way we would have fallen from title challengers to relegation favourites in 18 months under a manager such as Alex Ferguson.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 17:16 - Jan 26 with 1514 viewsThe_Last_Baron

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 16:01 - Jan 26 by Lord_Lucan

That's a very good post - as all yours are to be fair

The thing is we were an ageing side that had underachieved. That sounds harsh but the players knew in their minds that they should have won bucket fulls of trophies. Robson had rebuilt many sides from scratch but he had itchy feet and was still annoyed that the club stopped him from going to Bilbao. As much as I really like Wark as a person he has left us twice for financial gain. Muhren b£ggered off in an instant, as much as a fantastic player he was he was a focussed career man and I don't think he cared that much for the teams he played for but just wanted to do the best for himself and you can't really blame anyone for that. Franz stayed for a season too long that he needed to and I love him for that. I don't really agree that the West stand was the problem, it needed to be built just the same as the churchmans and the North did. At the end of the day we fizzled out.

You're wrong about Muhren. He loves Ipswich, speak to him and he'll tell you that. Town are way above Manchester United in his affections, he speaks about his time here with immense feeling.

He left us because he wanted to play for a bigger club before he retired - he had given us four years and wanted to try something different. Who can blame him, he scored in the FA Cup final and went on to have great success with Ajax and ended his career winning the European Championship.

As for Wark, he joined Liverpool because they were the best team in the country. He actually received no more of a basic wage when he moved to Anfield. When he left in 1990 that was down to the fact he was offered a terrible contract by Town, one which any player of his standing would have turned down.

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 17:18 - Jan 26 with 1511 viewsThe_Last_Baron

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 16:02 - Jan 26 by chicoazul

Stopped them building the Pioneer stand.

I believe the old West Stand needed to be rebuilt. It had been up there since the 1950s and was tired and old. It would have had to be done at some point.

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 19:54 - Jan 26 with 1482 viewsLord_Lucan

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 17:16 - Jan 26 by The_Last_Baron

You're wrong about Muhren. He loves Ipswich, speak to him and he'll tell you that. Town are way above Manchester United in his affections, he speaks about his time here with immense feeling.

He left us because he wanted to play for a bigger club before he retired - he had given us four years and wanted to try something different. Who can blame him, he scored in the FA Cup final and went on to have great success with Ajax and ended his career winning the European Championship.

As for Wark, he joined Liverpool because they were the best team in the country. He actually received no more of a basic wage when he moved to Anfield. When he left in 1990 that was down to the fact he was offered a terrible contract by Town, one which any player of his standing would have turned down.

I completely appreciate your post and won't disagree with it because at the end of the day I don't have definite info on this. I'm warmed that Arnie thinks that way.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 20:34 - Jan 26 with 1462 viewscphtractor

Given contracts to Barnes, Gullit and Gazza. But first have Alex Ferguson take over from sir Bobby. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/nov/08/theknowledge.sport
If you could go back in time and change one thing about ITFC what would it be? on 20:56 - Jan 26 with 1451 viewsBluedanW

I would of cancelled my previous engagement the day we beat Norwich 5-0. Can't believe all the Derby games I've been to and the one I bloody missed we mullered them!!! Luckily I was there for Bryan gunn's air kick though!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024