Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? 21:31 - Feb 6 with 4750 viewsjpring89

Its a distraction just like being on a mobile phone. Maybe not on the same level but ive been in cars when people smoke drop their fags burn themselves swearve and few close calls which is lucky but im sure others no so.

Anyone else agree it should be banned ?

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 07:24 - Feb 7 with 1285 viewsbluelagos

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 04:04 - Feb 7 by Binner

Wrong on both counts:

We didn't all drink and drive before it was banned.

Smoking is not so much of a distraction as talking on a mobile phone.

Spot on Binner. The reason mobiles are so dangerous is that they distract you. I'd ban hands free too as it happens.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 07:28 - Feb 7 with 1279 viewsjeera

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 07:24 - Feb 7 by bluelagos

Spot on Binner. The reason mobiles are so dangerous is that they distract you. I'd ban hands free too as it happens.

I should think smoking within the confines of a crash helmet can be quite hazardous.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 08:08 - Feb 7 with 1242 viewsbluelagos

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 07:28 - Feb 7 by jeera

I should think smoking within the confines of a crash helmet can be quite hazardous.

Riding with mates who smoke is as bad as mates with dodgy prostates. Every 15 mins they are looking for a layby.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 08:32 - Feb 7 with 1226 viewsRamRob

I was learning when they were bringing the mobile phone ban in and my instructor was of the opinion that there didn't need to be a ban as there already was a law for it.

Driving without due care and attention... covers any activity whilst driving

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 08:42 - Feb 7 with 1210 viewshype313

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 21:49 - Feb 6 by Mullet

Woman who went into the back of me after a game at Huddersfield the other year, had her little darling in the back. Was clear her and her passenger were turning around fawning over the wee one, as the rest of us sat stationary on the M60 in a queue as she shunted me forward.

Mainly because I watched her do so in my rear mirror, thinking "not much I can do here". I'm not sure if we ban women, children, or German motors.

I had a similar experience where a girl behind me was doing her make up and looking in her mirror one morning and she then shunted me as the lippy was being applied.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 09:15 - Feb 7 with 1195 viewsfabian_illness

I was in traffic behind one of those vapers the other day and it was like driving through thick fog.
Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 09:26 - Feb 7 with 1185 viewsGeoffSentence

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 22:05 - Feb 6 by WeWereZombies

Hmmm, if I think about what I should or shouldn't be doing as I drive along - well, that can be distracting so, taking the line of this argument forward, I think we should all stop thinking when we drive...

We may be able to soon. Driverless cars are the way forward then you can indulge in whatever you favourite distraction is and still get to your destination safe an on time.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 09:29 - Feb 7 with 1184 viewsTLA

Hands free is an interesting one. Is it more distracting than talking to people in your vehicle? I sometimes drive a minibus with about a dozen volunteers on board and I find the chatter really hard to block out.

I think with smoking it's more about finding the pack, lighting up etc. It's the looking around, hands off the wheel and so on, the same with eating.
Login to get fewer ads

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 09:29 - Feb 7 with 1184 viewshoppy

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 08:42 - Feb 7 by hype313

I had a similar experience where a girl behind me was doing her make up and looking in her mirror one morning and she then shunted me as the lippy was being applied.

Did you wipe your face before you got out to have a go at her?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 09:31 - Feb 7 with 1177 viewsGavTWTD

I do know someone whose driving deteriorates considerably while smoking. Not just the smoking but getting the fags from a coat pocket on the back seat, finding a lighter in the glove box...

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 09:32 - Feb 7 with 1173 viewshoppy

Yet bizarrely, all the car manufacturers are now putting all the sat nav/bluetooth mobile/DAB radio etc built in to touch screen units...

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 09:37 - Feb 7 with 1167 viewsDoobDude

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 09:32 - Feb 7 by hoppy

Yet bizarrely, all the car manufacturers are now putting all the sat nav/bluetooth mobile/DAB radio etc built in to touch screen units...

This. I have a Seat Leon with all of this and have swerved onto the noisy white lines many times whilst using it. You cannot look at any part of the road whilst looking at the screen.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:39 - Feb 7 with 1120 viewsNo9

Maybe our illustrious legislators all smoke when driving?
Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:42 - Feb 7 with 1110 viewsGeoffSentence

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:39 - Feb 7 by No9

Maybe our illustrious legislators all smoke when driving?

More lilely to have interests in the tobacco companies.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:44 - Feb 7 with 1107 viewshype313

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 09:29 - Feb 7 by hoppy

Did you wipe your face before you got out to have a go at her?

Using a reference from that film, my car was actually FUBAR'd after that incident.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:48 - Feb 7 with 1104 viewshoppy

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:44 - Feb 7 by hype313

Using a reference from that film, my car was actually FUBAR'd after that incident.

I bet it made you think again about applying lippy after that?

Did you say to her: "Would you stop rubbing your car up against mine, because I can't concentrate when you do that."?

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:58 - Feb 7 with 1085 viewsPinewoodblue

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 21:53 - Feb 6 by giant_stow

Precisely - live and learn - I always make sure the back window is shut now.

So you are a litter lout. Wouldn't it be better if you stopped throwing your cigarette ends out the window.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 11:01 - Feb 7 with 1076 viewshoppy

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:58 - Feb 7 by Pinewoodblue

So you are a litter lout. Wouldn't it be better if you stopped throwing your cigarette ends out the window.

We'll have to excuse the wording of the headline on this one, but this was reported only this morning...

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/tons_of_rubbish_still_be_discarded_along_suffolk_s_ma

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 11:07 - Feb 7 with 1068 viewsgiant_stow

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:58 - Feb 7 by Pinewoodblue

they're only little and probably a useful food source for little creatures.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 11:56 - Feb 7 with 1046 viewsNo9

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 10:42 - Feb 7 by GeoffSentence

More lilely to have interests in the tobacco companies.

That is a given
Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 12:12 - Feb 7 with 1023 viewsPinewoodblue

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 11:07 - Feb 7 by giant_stow

they're only little and probably a useful food source for little creatures.

Feeble excuse not supported by any facts. You are Donald Trump and I claim my $5.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 12:16 - Feb 7 with 1017 viewsgiant_stow

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 12:12 - Feb 7 by Pinewoodblue

Feeble excuse not supported by any facts. You are Donald Trump and I claim my $5.

Its a fair cop.

How about the fact that modern cars don't seem to come with ashtrays anymore? *

*i don't have a modern car, but I've noticed this when hiring the odd one.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 12:18 - Feb 7 with 1006 viewsOxfordTH_1981

You can make out a case for it, but the problem is where do you stop?

What about turning on the radio to another channel? Using a Tom Tom? Opening the glove compartment? Turning round over your shoulder to check traffic? Talking to someone else in the car?

A phone is a very obvious problem because - unless you are using handsfree - it necessarily needs to be held up to the ear with one hand, whereas a cigarette or cigar can be held in between two fingers with the hand on the wheel. Also, the concentration factor of being on the phone is very different to simply smoking.
Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 12:21 - Feb 7 with 1004 viewsgiant_stow

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 12:18 - Feb 7 by OxfordTH_1981

You can make out a case for it, but the problem is where do you stop?

What about turning on the radio to another channel? Using a Tom Tom? Opening the glove compartment? Turning round over your shoulder to check traffic? Talking to someone else in the car?

A phone is a very obvious problem because - unless you are using handsfree - it necessarily needs to be held up to the ear with one hand, whereas a cigarette or cigar can be held in between two fingers with the hand on the wheel. Also, the concentration factor of being on the phone is very different to simply smoking.

I think oldstu had it right personally - kids are the single biggest distraction in car, barring illegal things.

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 12:25 - Feb 7 with 998 viewsOxfordTH_1981

Why is smoking behind the wheel not banned ? on 12:21 - Feb 7 by giant_stow

I think oldstu had it right personally - kids are the single biggest distraction in car, barring illegal things.

Quite possibly true, but the law has to balance practicality with protection of others. Short of banning children under the age of 10 or so ever getting in a car, there is not a lot that can be done.

On the other hand, it isn't necessary to use phones in a car to the same extent as transporting children, and if you need to use a phone, it can be done handsfree in many cars
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024