Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) 15:50 - Feb 7 with 7278 viewsKeno

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:54 - Feb 7 with 2327 viewsBlueBadger

Frankly, there haven't been enough Speakers(Bercow included) willing to speak up about the various disgusting individuals that various Prime Minsters have seen fit to invite over the years.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 16:05]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:54 - Feb 7 with 2313 viewsStokieBlue

Just a bit odd isn't it?

"Mr Zahawi said the Speaker had invited Chinese president Xi Jinping despite MPs being unhappy about his policy on Tibet, and the emir of Kuwait, which bans British dual nationals of Israeli origin, to speak in Parliament."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:55 - Feb 7 with 2305 viewsnrb1985

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:54 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

Frankly, there haven't been enough Speakers(Bercow included) willing to speak up about the various disgusting individuals that various Prime Minsters have seen fit to invite over the years.

Totally agree. About time somebody in a leadership role in this country spoke up for decent people.

Pictures of May holding his hand were truly embarrassing. Never felt so ashamed as a Brit.
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:55 - Feb 7 with 2308 viewsThePitBoss

Even the House of Commons is a 'safe space' these days. Utterly pathetic and hypocritical.
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:56 - Feb 7 with 2295 viewsBlueBadger

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:55 - Feb 7 by ThePitBoss

Even the House of Commons is a 'safe space' these days. Utterly pathetic and hypocritical.

Ah, you must be one of those 'snowflakes' who get upset whenever their worldview gets challenged that I've read about.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:02 - Feb 7 with 2242 viewsStokieBlue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:55 - Feb 7 by nrb1985

Totally agree. About time somebody in a leadership role in this country spoke up for decent people.

Pictures of May holding his hand were truly embarrassing. Never felt so ashamed as a Brit.

Were you upset when Bercow invited the Chinese president to speak given their human rights record?

SB

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:03 - Feb 7 with 2229 viewshype313

Hypocrite.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:04 - Feb 7 with 2227 viewsBlueBadger

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:54 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

Just a bit odd isn't it?

"Mr Zahawi said the Speaker had invited Chinese president Xi Jinping despite MPs being unhappy about his policy on Tibet, and the emir of Kuwait, which bans British dual nationals of Israeli origin, to speak in Parliament."

SB

Personally, I suspect that, if he's true to his promise of serving only two terms as Speaker he's probably got about year to go and is thinking 'f*ck it, I'm sick of these disgusting individuals being invited here, I'm going to say something this time'.

Login to get fewer ads

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:05 - Feb 7 with 2222 viewsCaptainObvious

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:54 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

but isn't he the same speaker who invited the Chinese president to parliament?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:06 - Feb 7 with 2201 viewsBlueBadger

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:05 - Feb 7 by CaptainObvious

but isn't he the same speaker who invited the Chinese president to parliament?

I'm just pleased he's finally decided to show some stones.

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:07 - Feb 7 with 2194 viewsStokieBlue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:04 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

Personally, I suspect that, if he's true to his promise of serving only two terms as Speaker he's probably got about year to go and is thinking 'f*ck it, I'm sick of these disgusting individuals being invited here, I'm going to say something this time'.

Surely that's even worse then?

It means he didn't want to rock the boat and maybe lose his cushy position earlier and thus didn't mind the Chinese president speaking but now it's nearly over and he's got the benefits already he's happy to speak out.

It would be even worse if you were right.

SB

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:09 - Feb 7 with 2182 viewsBlueBadger

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:07 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

Surely that's even worse then?

It means he didn't want to rock the boat and maybe lose his cushy position earlier and thus didn't mind the Chinese president speaking but now it's nearly over and he's got the benefits already he's happy to speak out.

It would be even worse if you were right.

SB

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/398773/3518975/john-bercow--right-or-wrong-to-say-wh

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:10 - Feb 7 with 2169 viewsCaptainObvious

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:06 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

I'm just pleased he's finally decided to show some stones.

seems pure hypocrisy to me.

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:10 - Feb 7 with 2160 viewsStokieBlue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:09 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/398773/3518975/john-bercow--right-or-wrong-to-say-wh

I don't think that answers my point at all but OK.

SB

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:10 - Feb 7 with 2164 viewsCaptainObvious

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:04 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

nah he's wife's nagged him

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:12 - Feb 7 with 2139 viewsNo9

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:54 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

Just a bit odd isn't it?

SB

I am not sure if it was the speaker who invited the Chinese president to the UK / Hoc or someone else BUT, based on HM comment abut the Chinese rudeness perhaps the speaker learned a lesson?

Personally I believe it was stupid to invite Mr Trump for a state visit so early & when he is not entirely popular in the UK & even less so in Scotland.

As it goes he may be so tied up in legal cases he can't go anywhere & if you saw him getting off the chopper recently here was a man who has a face like a well slapped @rse, disillusioned with what he has got into.

In his business dealings when he says " JUMP" - his employees respond "how high'. He is going to find out that things may not be so easy when you are dealing with people he does not employ
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:13 - Feb 7 with 2135 viewsBlueBadger

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:10 - Feb 7 by CaptainObvious

Probably an element of that there, I'm just pleased that someone's finally decided to make a stand about the various appalling dignitaries that our government seem perfectly happy to fawn over.

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:14 - Feb 7 with 2123 viewstheblueginger

In terms of what he said, spot on. I think the only valid criticism within political circles is that a speaker should officially refrain from commenting on such matters.

Personally as a senior figure in the HoC he should be allowed to state his views on potential guests to the Chamber, regardless of political persuasions. Kudos to him.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 16:15]
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:14 - Feb 7 with 2122 viewsTollycobbold

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:10 - Feb 7 by CaptainObvious

I suppose it just depends who his paymaster is.
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:15 - Feb 7 with 2103 viewsStokieBlue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:14 - Feb 7 by Tollycobbold

Reptilians?

SB

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:16 - Feb 7 with 2090 viewsBlueBadger

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:14 - Feb 7 by Tollycobbold

People who don't like disgusting orange bigots?

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:19 - Feb 7 with 2059 viewsStokieBlue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:16 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

People who don't like disgusting orange bigots?

But do like people who ignore human rights and put thousands of people to death each year in their jails or other people who prevent certain nationalities from visiting their countries.

SB

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:20 - Feb 7 with 2050 viewsJ2BLUE

Not at all bothered personally. I thought he made some good points and although I support America's democratic process and Trump coming for a state visit I don't see any reason why Trump should address the houses.

As for China both us and the US were kissing up to them. A state visit should be enough to keep Trump happy without giving him the platform of addressing the houses to put across views we are completely against.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:24 - Feb 7 with 2036 viewsCaptainObvious

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:13 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

Probably an element of that there, I'm just pleased that someone's finally decided to make a stand about the various appalling dignitaries that our government seem perfectly happy to fawn over.

i dunno, i mean i'm not a fan of Trump but he's not in the same bracket as those with poor or appalling human rights records.

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:25 - Feb 7 with 2027 viewsStokieBlue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:20 - Feb 7 by J2BLUE

Not at all bothered personally. I thought he made some good points and although I support America's democratic process and Trump coming for a state visit I don't see any reason why Trump should address the houses.

As for China both us and the US were kissing up to them. A state visit should be enough to keep Trump happy without giving him the platform of addressing the houses to put across views we are completely against.

What about the Emir of Kuwait? We didn't need to kiss up to them but he was asked to address.

For the record, his country won't allow in British dual nationals of Israeli origin.

I am also not bothered if Trump doesn't get an address, just seems rather haphazard reasoning from Bercow.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024