Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" 13:44 - Apr 24 with 9329 viewsmonytowbray

Do they all just assume public spending is perfect as it is at present with no unjust/pointless funding and all tax revenue that could possibly be going into the national pot is being collected?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 13:49 - Apr 24 with 1952 viewshomer_123

I'm not sure any of the parties actually provide even close to chapter and verse on how they might pay for things. In short, the how always seems to be lacking.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 13:52 - Apr 24 with 1942 viewsJ2BLUE

The Tories promised a £9 minimum wage. No one cared about that. Labour say £10 and suddenly it's unworkable.

Same with the bank holidays thing. You have people who would benefit from it just dismiss it as stupid even though some studies suggest it would be a £1bn net boost to the economy for each day as people spent more on things like DIY/tourism.

This could be the last chance to make a stand on things like wages, working rights, working benefits and the ability to afford a home. As the baby boomer generation retire we'll need to pay higher taxes to support them and political parties will throw things at them for their vote. Never mind, we're already soft and spoilt so what does it matter if the screw is turned?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 13:57 - Apr 24 with 1912 viewsElderGrizzly

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 13:52 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

The Tories promised a £9 minimum wage. No one cared about that. Labour say £10 and suddenly it's unworkable.

Same with the bank holidays thing. You have people who would benefit from it just dismiss it as stupid even though some studies suggest it would be a £1bn net boost to the economy for each day as people spent more on things like DIY/tourism.

This could be the last chance to make a stand on things like wages, working rights, working benefits and the ability to afford a home. As the baby boomer generation retire we'll need to pay higher taxes to support them and political parties will throw things at them for their vote. Never mind, we're already soft and spoilt so what does it matter if the screw is turned?

We might gain £1bn in some sectors, but the IoD say we'd lose £2bn a day across the economy.

There will always be winners and losers, but the bank holiday one would be negative overall.
People who say on 14:00 - Apr 24 with 1899 viewsSaleAway

I don't think anyone thinks that public spending is perfect, but given that every government goes in and says " we are going to save x billion in 'efficiency' savings", its fair to say that there's not a lot more that can be cut. The whole point of the various austerity cuts has been to try and cut the inefficiencies out...

part of the reason that a lot of people don't like a big government spending pot, is because public services in general are completely inefficient. I know various people that have worked in local government, where there are many people who are completely incapable of doing their jobs, but its virtually impossible to get fired.... (post-edit clarification following read back - this is not to say that there aren't many wonderful people in public service working their butts off!)

the other point - about inland revenue collecting what is owed is the biggest issue - unfortunately the globalisation of trade now means that it very difficult to collect taxes efficiently from big businesses. This is the biggest issue for me - but I don't see anyone with any answers as to HOW to solve it ( if it was easy, they'd already have done it). The easy solution, as the tories have proved is instead, go after the little fish, as they can't afford to put up a fight.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 14:02]

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

People who say on 14:02 - Apr 24 with 1896 viewsBlueBadger

People who say on 14:00 - Apr 24 by SaleAway

I don't think anyone thinks that public spending is perfect, but given that every government goes in and says " we are going to save x billion in 'efficiency' savings", its fair to say that there's not a lot more that can be cut. The whole point of the various austerity cuts has been to try and cut the inefficiencies out...

part of the reason that a lot of people don't like a big government spending pot, is because public services in general are completely inefficient. I know various people that have worked in local government, where there are many people who are completely incapable of doing their jobs, but its virtually impossible to get fired.... (post-edit clarification following read back - this is not to say that there aren't many wonderful people in public service working their butts off!)

the other point - about inland revenue collecting what is owed is the biggest issue - unfortunately the globalisation of trade now means that it very difficult to collect taxes efficiently from big businesses. This is the biggest issue for me - but I don't see anyone with any answers as to HOW to solve it ( if it was easy, they'd already have done it). The easy solution, as the tories have proved is instead, go after the little fish, as they can't afford to put up a fight.

Ironically, public services are becoming more inefficient thanks to increased admin costs involved in farming out services to unaccountable cost-cutters in the Efficient Private Sector.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:02 - Apr 24 with 1895 viewsElderGrizzly

An independent and good place to start with any 'pledge' by a party is the fact checking website "Full Fact"

It's independent and shows true picture behind claims or pledges by any party.

I agree there are always better ways to spend money, but as someone who works in central Goverment it is horrendously complex and you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul.

What we need to do most of these wish lists is more money. Simple as that. Higher taxes for alltax bands and better tax recovery from large companies would be a start
People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:03 - Apr 24 with 1877 viewstaximan

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 13:57 - Apr 24 by ElderGrizzly

We might gain £1bn in some sectors, but the IoD say we'd lose £2bn a day across the economy.

There will always be winners and losers, but the bank holiday one would be negative overall.

i don't mind working 4 more bank holidays

everyone should try self employment

you get nothing for nothing
People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:11 - Apr 24 with 1861 viewsJ2BLUE

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 13:57 - Apr 24 by ElderGrizzly

I included that £2bn. A net gain of £1bn.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:26 - Apr 24 with 1815 viewsElderGrizzly

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:11 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

I included that £2bn. A net gain of £1bn.

So we'd gain £3bn per extra bank holiday, but lose £2bn?

Where has the £3bn figure come from out of interest, as if that was the case we'd better get more bank holidays scheduled! 😬
People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:46 - Apr 24 with 1772 viewsJ2BLUE

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:26 - Apr 24 by ElderGrizzly

So we'd gain £3bn per extra bank holiday, but lose £2bn?

Where has the £3bn figure come from out of interest, as if that was the case we'd better get more bank holidays scheduled! 😬

http://news.sky.com/story/do-we-really-need-to-have-more-bank-holidays-10847713

It mentions the £2bn loss.

Extract:

But there could be economic benefits too. For a start how do you begin to actually account for the cost? What about all of the extra money spent on tourism and DIY on those extra days off?

Most of the UK economy is services based - services lost one day can usually just be transferred to the next, unlike say manufacturing where output lost is usually irrecoverable.

For this reason one government report estimated extra bank holidays could benefit the economy to the tune of an extra £1bn a piece. And maybe, it could help with our chronic productivity problem - more days off means we do more in the days we're at work.

You may interpret that as a net £1bn loss but that wouldn't make any sense as 'benefit the economy to the tune of an extra £1bn' would make no sense unless it's a net gain.

This is one government report apparently so would need more fact checking but why we have less bank holidays than Scotland and NI I really don't know. Why do we stand for that?

I'd be pleased with four more. Not going to happen obviously but for arguments sake I would be in favour of it. Not everything is about squeezing an extra few quid out of the economy and it seems some ordinary people have forgotten that.

Truly impaired.

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:48 - Apr 24 with 1767 viewsLuk38644

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 13:52 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

Only just seen your avatar...

Since when did you change allegiances?
People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:50 - Apr 24 with 1765 viewsJ2BLUE

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:48 - Apr 24 by Luk38644

Only just seen your avatar...

Since when did you change allegiances?

It's been quite a slow process. Slowly dawned on me that i'm a turkey voting for Christmas with the Tories.

FWIW I wanted a continuation of the coalition at the last election. I wasn't hoping for the Tory majority that we got.

Truly impaired.

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:56 - Apr 24 with 1750 viewsLuk38644

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:50 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

It's been quite a slow process. Slowly dawned on me that i'm a turkey voting for Christmas with the Tories.

FWIW I wanted a continuation of the coalition at the last election. I wasn't hoping for the Tory majority that we got.

Fair enough mate.

You'll be glad to know that, as I expected, UKIP is basically dead now that Farage and Banks have moved on. Cannot stand Nuttall. Think I'll be voting Tory come June 8th.
People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:30 - Apr 24 with 1675 viewsJ2BLUE

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:56 - Apr 24 by Luk38644

Fair enough mate.

You'll be glad to know that, as I expected, UKIP is basically dead now that Farage and Banks have moved on. Cannot stand Nuttall. Think I'll be voting Tory come June 8th.

I'm gutted Farage isn't standing for election. If he actually made it he'd be entertaining in the house.

A lot of people think giving the Tories a bigger majority is the way to get a softer Brexit. Would you be happy with that?

Truly impaired.

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:31 - Apr 24 with 1674 viewsunbelievablue

Probably not, no. Next.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:35 - Apr 24 with 1660 viewsGlasgowBlue

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 14:46 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

http://news.sky.com/story/do-we-really-need-to-have-more-bank-holidays-10847713

It mentions the £2bn loss.

Extract:

But there could be economic benefits too. For a start how do you begin to actually account for the cost? What about all of the extra money spent on tourism and DIY on those extra days off?

Most of the UK economy is services based - services lost one day can usually just be transferred to the next, unlike say manufacturing where output lost is usually irrecoverable.

For this reason one government report estimated extra bank holidays could benefit the economy to the tune of an extra £1bn a piece. And maybe, it could help with our chronic productivity problem - more days off means we do more in the days we're at work.

You may interpret that as a net £1bn loss but that wouldn't make any sense as 'benefit the economy to the tune of an extra £1bn' would make no sense unless it's a net gain.

This is one government report apparently so would need more fact checking but why we have less bank holidays than Scotland and NI I really don't know. Why do we stand for that?

I'd be pleased with four more. Not going to happen obviously but for arguments sake I would be in favour of it. Not everything is about squeezing an extra few quid out of the economy and it seems some ordinary people have forgotten that.

"What about all of the extra money spent on tourism and DIY on those extra days off?"

You can only squeeze so much out of people's pockets. Where do you expoect this sudden windfall to come from so families can spend more on tourism and DIY if we get extra days off?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:35 - Apr 24 with 1662 viewsLuk38644

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:30 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

I'm gutted Farage isn't standing for election. If he actually made it he'd be entertaining in the house.

A lot of people think giving the Tories a bigger majority is the way to get a softer Brexit. Would you be happy with that?

I think he would have finally won South Thanet, but he's achieved his political goal, so fair enough.

That's my dilemma at the moment. Tactical voting would suggest I continue to vote UKIP as I'm in a strong-Tory area, but I honestly don't know if I can with Nuttall in charge and no hope of an MP elected. Why bother? I'd rather vote for a party that can deliver Brexit and hopefully nullify the threat of Labour/Lib Dems ruining it.

If she delivers a half-hearted Brexit (remain in the single market/free movement etc;), that's an issue for the next GE after 2019, not yet.
People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:40 - Apr 24 with 1647 viewsLord_Lucan

The thing about extra bank holidays is that the poorer folk won't benefit as they will be working harder than ever in Tescos

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:41 - Apr 24 with 1646 viewsJ2BLUE

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:35 - Apr 24 by GlasgowBlue

"What about all of the extra money spent on tourism and DIY on those extra days off?"

You can only squeeze so much out of people's pockets. Where do you expoect this sudden windfall to come from so families can spend more on tourism and DIY if we get extra days off?

Ask the people who produced the report. I'm simply parroting their opinion.

Perhaps the £10 minimum wage would allow workers a bit more disposable income?

Truly impaired.

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:42 - Apr 24 with 1645 viewschicoazul

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:40 - Apr 24 by Lord_Lucan

The thing about extra bank holidays is that the poorer folk won't benefit as they will be working harder than ever in Tescos

Exactly right. Also Employers don't HAVE to pay people for bank holidays do they..?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:44 - Apr 24 with 1641 viewsJ2BLUE

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:40 - Apr 24 by Lord_Lucan

I would imagine a company like that would pay time and a half at a minimum so there would still be a decent benefit.

Truly impaired.

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:45 - Apr 24 with 1636 viewstaximan

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:41 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

or more realistically, their extra income would be spent on the increased cost of living
People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:49 - Apr 24 with 1612 viewsGlasgowBlue

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:41 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

Haven't the "experts" said that even the Conservative's £9 minimum wage would increase unemployment, especially amongst the young and people with a poorer education?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:50 - Apr 24 with 1611 viewsJ2BLUE

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:45 - Apr 24 by taximan

or more realistically, their extra income would be spent on the increased cost of living

There would be an increased cost of living but I still think there would be a net benefit to the £10 minimum wage. I'm sure people like you couldn't give a damn if underpaying workers in places like Tesco is making your weekly shop a little bit cheaper.

Truly impaired.

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:51 - Apr 24 with 1608 viewsJ2BLUE

People who say "Where does Corbyn expect to find the money to do that?" on 15:49 - Apr 24 by GlasgowBlue

Haven't the "experts" said that even the Conservative's £9 minimum wage would increase unemployment, especially amongst the young and people with a poorer education?

I haven't seen that if so. The £10 wage is a policy which is widely supported. If there was that much evidence against it i'm sure it wouldn't be.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024