Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nail hit firmly on the head 08:29 - Feb 1 with 22637 viewsArnieM

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-transfer-deadline-day-january-2018-1-53

....., and some good comments posted at bottom of article

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:34 - Feb 1 with 11161 viewsGunnsAirkick

Not a bad article.

This comment made me laugh though.

"The stark reality is that then team he inherited, in the lowest sense of the word, is actually far stronger than the wreckage he leaves behind."

So we're in a bigger mess than what Mick inherited from Jewell, really?
Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:40 - Feb 1 with 11111 viewschristiand

I like the analogy of 'a plaster used to cover the cracks', just seems so true of our club at the moment. I still believe the Downes loan is a good one for all concerned, but these continued signings of journey-men on short term contracts is a reflection of where we are as club.....going nowhere fast. As an outsider looking in, I just don't believe we have any idea what our real plan is to progress and move forwards, its all 'hit and hope' pretty much how we play on the pitch too!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:45 - Feb 1 with 11090 viewsSteve_M

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:34 - Feb 1 by GunnsAirkick

Not a bad article.

"The stark reality is that then team he inherited, in the lowest sense of the word, is actually far stronger than the wreckage he leaves behind."

That's some re-interpretation there. It's quite incredible that being mid-table means that some can't appreciate anything MM does or has done at this club.

Arguably we're in a better position this Summer for McCarthy to leave than we would have been last year in that Waghorn, Garner, Huws, Adeyemi are all good second-tier players who would suit a different manager. Loanees and short-contract players are are a fact of this division now, especially for clubs with lower budgets.

And, yet the indecision over MM's future and ME's apparent desire to let our higher earners leave means that we are just drifting through the season without any signs of how that changes. Some putting all their hopes on a new manager are going to be disappointed without a change of approach from Evans.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:51 - Feb 1 with 11044 viewsmarcus1642

Mr. Watson nails it yet again. A very good read.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:52 - Feb 1 with 11043 viewschristiand

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:45 - Feb 1 by Steve_M

That's some re-interpretation there. It's quite incredible that being mid-table means that some can't appreciate anything MM does or has done at this club.

Arguably we're in a better position this Summer for McCarthy to leave than we would have been last year in that Waghorn, Garner, Huws, Adeyemi are all good second-tier players who would suit a different manager. Loanees and short-contract players are are a fact of this division now, especially for clubs with lower budgets.

And, yet the indecision over MM's future and ME's apparent desire to let our higher earners leave means that we are just drifting through the season without any signs of how that changes. Some putting all their hopes on a new manager are going to be disappointed without a change of approach from Evans.

Just the same approach with a different manager I fear. I hope the new manager gets it in writing from ME that he will be 'properly' financially backed during the transfer windows. If I was one of the candidates that would be a major factor for me in accepting or declining the job.

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:54 - Feb 1 with 11021 viewsHerbivore

Not a bad article.

Yeah, that's just nonsense. We only have Didz able to walk away in the summer, we have options on everyone else. Bart agreed a new deal, Knudsen's option has been taken up, and we've signed 3 or 4 promising youngsters alongside Gleeson and Carayol to plug gaps. We've got the foundation's of a decent squad here, it's nothing like the mess that Jewell left.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:54 - Feb 1 with 11023 viewstextbackup

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:45 - Feb 1 by Steve_M

UR last statement might be true. But MM and ME just don’t work as a pairing

One doesn’t want to spend much money, the other happy to play the poor guy struggling with scraps

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:57 - Feb 1 with 11000 viewsHerbivore

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:52 - Feb 1 by christiand

Just the same approach with a different manager I fear. I hope the new manager gets it in writing from ME that he will be 'properly' financially backed during the transfer windows. If I was one of the candidates that would be a major factor for me in accepting or declining the job.

Of course it'll be the same approach from Evans, if he wouldn't loosen the purse strings for Mick he's not going to do it for a new manager. He already puts in £6m a year and I can't see him investing much more than that.

Login to get fewer ads

I gave up when he said..... on 08:58 - Feb 1 with 10997 viewsBloots

....that a loan in was a "short term fix", whereas a loan out was a "departure".

#agenda

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:03 - Feb 1 with 10971 viewschristiand

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:57 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

Of course it'll be the same approach from Evans, if he wouldn't loosen the purse strings for Mick he's not going to do it for a new manager. He already puts in £6m a year and I can't see him investing much more than that.

Then ME needs to think carefully about what his own long term plans are for the club. If he wants out, then start actively pursuing a new buyer. On the other hand, if he is happy to maintain this same level of financial commitment then expect relegation over the next few seasons as the majority of other clubs will just supersede us and we'll get left behind.

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:03 - Feb 1 with 10954 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Not a bad article.

F*cking hell, seriously??

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:05 - Feb 1 with 10950 viewsHerbivore

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:03 - Feb 1 by christiand

Then ME needs to think carefully about what his own long term plans are for the club. If he wants out, then start actively pursuing a new buyer. On the other hand, if he is happy to maintain this same level of financial commitment then expect relegation over the next few seasons as the majority of other clubs will just supersede us and we'll get left behind.

How do you know he's not actively looking to sell? We're not a very attractive proposition for a buyer. His plan is to invest in the academy, spend modest amounts on fees for players who are likely to have a resale value and build gradually. It's a plan, it's not as exciting as throwing £50m at it but it's a plan nonetheless and it's the only real feasible plan for a club like us with our budget.

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:07 - Feb 1 with 10935 viewsTractorJack

Thing is we wouldn't have needed the short term fixes were it not for all the injuries we've had. We obviously can't afford to have experienced players sitting in the stands, so we get them in if we need them.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:10 - Feb 1 with 10906 viewsKieran_Knows

Man writes article about stuff that Town fans didn't already know, shocker.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:12 - Feb 1 with 10885 viewshype313

No different to what lots of posters have been writing about on here for the past year.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:13 - Feb 1 with 10881 viewsSteve_M

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:54 - Feb 1 by textbackup

One doesn’t want to spend much money, the other happy to play the poor guy struggling with scraps

Arguably that conjunction means that they work very well as a pairing.

It's just that the sum total of that isn't very inspiring, hanging around in this division for the sake of it isn't a reason for a football club to exist.

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:13 - Feb 1 with 10879 viewschristiand

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:05 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

How do you know he's not actively looking to sell? We're not a very attractive proposition for a buyer. His plan is to invest in the academy, spend modest amounts on fees for players who are likely to have a resale value and build gradually. It's a plan, it's not as exciting as throwing £50m at it but it's a plan nonetheless and it's the only real feasible plan for a club like us with our budget.

For me, that's where ME needs to be more transparent instead of hiding behind others. Say it, I'm looking to sell or this is all I'm prepared to invest as I just want us to remain in the Championship. If things were clearer I believe that there would be less friction amongst us all as we all then know what his intentions are for the club. At the moment, we just plod along.

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:15 - Feb 1 with 10862 viewsSteve_M

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:03 - Feb 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

F*cking hell, seriously??

Ah, it's Nerdy Know All, still sprouting the same bullsh1t.

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:17 - Feb 1 with 10841 viewsmonty_radio

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:54 - Feb 1 by textbackup

You could also argue that this is exactly why they DO work - except not for the likes of you and me.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:33 - Feb 1 with 10760 viewsDeano69

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:54 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

Yeah, that's just nonsense. We only have Didz able to walk away in the summer, we have options on everyone else. Bart agreed a new deal, Knudsen's option has been taken up, and we've signed 3 or 4 promising youngsters alongside Gleeson and Carayol to plug gaps. We've got the foundation's of a decent squad here, it's nothing like the mess that Jewell left.

Exactly. And if we are in the need to take a look at so called journeymen why would you commit to a contract any longer than you have to. It is disappointing to see those labelled as 'young talent' going out on loan or moving on, but there has to be some trust in the staff that these are the right decisions at this moment in time.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:40 - Feb 1 with 10725 viewsArnieM

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:57 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

Id challenge the concept that putting in £6m a year is "investment"....its actually barely covering the annual running costs , pure and simple. Which is why this Club is going nowhere under Evans tenure.

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:41 - Feb 1 with 10722 viewsArnieM

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:12 - Feb 1 by hype313

No different to what lots of posters have been writing about on here for the past year.

true , but at least it is FINALLY getting some press coverage and questions finally being asked of the owner/ manager.

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:46 - Feb 1 with 10702 viewsRegencyBlue

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:05 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

Trouble is producing players with a resale value isnt aiming to build anything in the long term is it. Its looking at reducing Evans financial input.

Evans seems happy with mid-table mediocrity, which ultimately is his prerogative as he owns the club, but he's lost the best part of 10,000 supporters over the last ten years and I can only see that trend accelerating if nothing changes.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:47 - Feb 1 with 10680 viewsHerbivore

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:13 - Feb 1 by christiand

For me, that's where ME needs to be more transparent instead of hiding behind others. Say it, I'm looking to sell or this is all I'm prepared to invest as I just want us to remain in the Championship. If things were clearer I believe that there would be less friction amongst us all as we all then know what his intentions are for the club. At the moment, we just plod along.

Can you really not see why he wouldn't come out and say those things? He's not going to say he's desperate to sell as it would (a) weaken his negotiating position and (b) unsettle people at the club. He's more or less said he's going to continue to maintain his level of investment but he's hardly going to say he wants us to stay in the Championship because (a) it's not true, he wants us to go up and (b) the fans would have an absolute sh!t fit. You're living in a fantasy world.

Nail hit firmly on the head on 10:08 - Feb 1 with 10623 viewsGuthrum

It's also 'short term fixes' in the same sense as Huws, Sears (in 2015), McGoldrick himself, Jimmy Bullard and Franny Jeffers - all of whom came in and helped to shore up the season at times when we were struggling.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024