Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice for decent MK away day 21:20 - Feb 7 with 2927 viewscambblue

Never been before. Best to park near ground and use amenities around there and bar inside stadium for some atmosphere, or go through hassle of starting in town first?

What’s everyone doing?
Advice for decent MK away day on 21:27 - Feb 7 with 2905 viewsSitfcB

It’s a honking away day and I predict many will be moaning Saturday evening/Sunday about it but hopefully not the result.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Advice for decent MK away day on 21:41 - Feb 7 with 2858 viewsOsborneOneNil

My mate lives there. Here is his essential write up:

It’s not like other grounds. There’s no pubs. It’s essentially a retail and leisure park. If you’re after M&S furniture or a coat for the missus from Primark or if you’re pushing the boat out, Next, it’s perfect! Traditional football match day experience? Not so much.

There a a Nando’s and a few other places to eat where you can get a beer. There is a hotel so you might be able to drink in the hotel bar. Otherwise, you can have a beer or two inside the ground, which to be fair, is impressive.

If it’s post game beers for the non-drivers travelling home you’re after, only a stone’s throw away is the UK’s largest Asda store. The beers, wines and spirits section offers a myriad of opportunity. Before you head off, why not treat yourselves to a commiseratory full English breakfast at the in store cafe?

Oh…and there’s an IKEA.
Advice for decent MK away day on 21:45 - Feb 7 with 2808 viewscambblue

Advice for decent MK away day on 21:41 - Feb 7 by OsborneOneNil

It’s not like other grounds. There’s no pubs. It’s essentially a retail and leisure park. If you’re after M&S furniture or a coat for the missus from Primark or if you’re pushing the boat out, Next, it’s perfect! Traditional football match day experience? Not so much.

There a a Nando’s and a few other places to eat where you can get a beer. There is a hotel so you might be able to drink in the hotel bar. Otherwise, you can have a beer or two inside the ground, which to be fair, is impressive.

If it’s post game beers for the non-drivers travelling home you’re after, only a stone’s throw away is the UK’s largest Asda store. The beers, wines and spirits section offers a myriad of opportunity. Before you head off, why not treat yourselves to a commiseratory full English breakfast at the in store cafe?

Oh…and there’s an IKEA.

Thanks. Looking forward to picking up three points and some flat pack furniture!
Advice for decent MK away day on 21:46 - Feb 7 with 2802 viewsIllinoisblue

Oh…and there’s an IKEA.

Legitimately sounds awful.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Advice for decent MK away day on 21:48 - Feb 7 with 2780 viewsMullet

Advice for decent MK away day on 21:46 - Feb 7 by Illinoisblue

Legitimately sounds awful.

Yep, I was very tempted but can't justify it when it's basically the day out you avoid by going to football, with football as well.

And it's Milton Keynes.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Advice for decent MK away day on 23:21 - Feb 7 with 2603 viewsIllinoisblue

Advice for decent MK away day on 21:48 - Feb 7 by Mullet

Yep, I was very tempted but can't justify it when it's basically the day out you avoid by going to football, with football as well.

And it's Milton Keynes.

I know ease of availability is the main reason but I still cannot comprehend us taking 7k there. Imagine if we were really going for promotion, we’d have over 10k there probably.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Advice for decent MK away day on 09:48 - Feb 8 with 2237 viewsfarkenhell

Found this - https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/stadium-mk-milton-key There are a few pubs in Fenny Stratford (about 20 minutes walk from the ground) and a few more in nearby Bletchley (about 30 minutes).
Advice for decent MK away day on 09:50 - Feb 8 with 2229 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Oh…and there’s an IKEA.

I'd add 2 this esp for anyone going by train MK has 2 stations MK Central and Bletchley, Bletchley is closer to the stadium though still bit of a walk,inexpenxive by taxi though.

Bletchley does have pubs (well Bars) as does CMK and if you ere drinking in CMK it's worth checking times between MKC and Bletchley.

The ground itself is lovely though there is a lack of atmosphere mostly due to the fact that much of MK hasn't realised they actually have a football team yet.

Also neat by for any rock n rollas is the head office for Marshall Amps.

I'd suggest if you fancy a drink head to Central MK, the hub or the theatre district and book yourself a taxi to get over to the stadium which should still be less than a tenner.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Login to get fewer ads

Advice for decent MK away day on 11:14 - Feb 8 with 2097 viewsmkbobby

Going into fenny Stratford for a drink the swan hotel 15- 20 mins walk there’s 2-3 other pubs in the area being the chequers, bull&butcher and the malsters
Advice for decent MK away day on 11:20 - Feb 8 with 2060 viewsSamWhiteUK

Advice for decent MK away day on 09:50 - Feb 8 by BlueandTruesince82

I'd add 2 this esp for anyone going by train MK has 2 stations MK Central and Bletchley, Bletchley is closer to the stadium though still bit of a walk,inexpenxive by taxi though.

Bletchley does have pubs (well Bars) as does CMK and if you ere drinking in CMK it's worth checking times between MKC and Bletchley.

The ground itself is lovely though there is a lack of atmosphere mostly due to the fact that much of MK hasn't realised they actually have a football team yet.

Also neat by for any rock n rollas is the head office for Marshall Amps.

I'd suggest if you fancy a drink head to Central MK, the hub or the theatre district and book yourself a taxi to get over to the stadium which should still be less than a tenner.

The ground isn't lovely, it's a soulless cut-and-paste stadium
Advice for decent MK away day on 11:27 - Feb 8 with 2019 viewsiamipswich

Think people are being needlessly negative about it tbh. It's not the classic football away day but not far off as all you have to do it drink in town and get a short cab to the stadium, hardly a great imposition. On top of that a few beers in the ground will be better than normal given the huge following and efficient service from MK.

Poll: Who will return first?

Advice for decent MK away day on 11:46 - Feb 8 with 1918 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Advice for decent MK away day on 11:20 - Feb 8 by SamWhiteUK

The ground isn't lovely, it's a soulless cut-and-paste stadium

Soulless yes as all modern grounds are. But it's clean, well maintained, well thought out and generally not a hole like some L1 stadiums.

The lack of soul is not helped by their lack of fans.

Advice for decent MK away day on 12:00 - Feb 8 with 1873 viewsFBI

Going with my daughter, sister and bro-in-law (who's Canadian) and leaving Mrs FBI to go shopping. Afterwards we're off to watch Ice Hockey: MK Lightning vs Bees as FBI jr's boyfriend is an MK player.

MKL are a good side and it might actually be fun after the football ...and certainly a bit more of the old ultra-violence :-)

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Advice for decent MK away day on 12:42 - Feb 8 with 1792 viewsBlueWalloo

I've been a lifelong Town fan that's lived in the MK area (5 mins from ground) for 20 years. MK gets a lot of harsh criticism, some warranted as Franchise FC, but a lot of it is misplaced.

Fenny Stratford is a 5-10 minute walk from the ground and has some great little pubs with friendly locals, decent beers and good food stores. It's more of a Victorian era bolt on town to MK, but has more than enough to help with the atmosphere.

Most MK folk still support their original teams (like me) but go to see the football and start to support the local community. Given the population of the wider MK area is over 250k now, it's great to see local football without travelling to Luton or London!

Anyway - I will be there in the Town end cheering my ar5e off on the day when local loyalty will be firmly out the window!

Enjoy your visit to MK - it's not all bad :-)
Advice for decent MK away day on 12:45 - Feb 8 with 1775 viewsDubtractor

What about MK the town? We're staying for a whole night in MK, so if anyone has any restaurant or pub recommendations they would be gratefully received.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Advice for decent MK away day on 12:48 - Feb 8 with 1755 viewsmkbobby

Advice for decent MK away day on 12:45 - Feb 8 by Dubtractor

What about MK the town? We're staying for a whole night in MK, so if anyone has any restaurant or pub recommendations they would be gratefully received.

Are you staying in mk or Bletchley
Advice for decent MK away day on 12:53 - Feb 8 with 1718 viewsBlueWalloo

Depends on if you are driving or coaching - and food preferences, most placed listed in TripAdvisor are about right.

Woburn Sands, Aspley Guise and Woburn - 5-10 minutes drive from the ground, all have a good selection of pubs and restaurants
Advice for decent MK away day on 14:09 - Feb 8 with 1567 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Depends what you want and where you are staying, if usually can let me know where you are I can make some suggestions

If you want pubs Stoney Stratford is good.

If you fancy a meal the Old Beams in the Shenleys is usually v good

The hub for cocktails and food

Theatre district for a more standard affair, Yates and the like.

Advice for decent MK away day on 14:38 - Feb 8 with 1500 viewsWallingford_Boy

Definitely drink away from the ground and walk/get cab in. As everyone else says its just restaurants for beer and its always rammed and impossible to get served on a normal away day, so no hope this weekend.

Or get loads of mates and cans and sit in car park and get tanked.

RIP Sir Bobby

Advice for decent MK away day on 15:05 - Feb 8 with 1439 viewsDubtractor

Advice for decent MK away day on 14:09 - Feb 8 by BlueandTruesince82

Depends what you want and where you are staying, if usually can let me know where you are I can make some suggestions

If you want pubs Stoney Stratford is good.

If you fancy a meal the Old Beams in the Shenleys is usually v good

The hub for cocktails and food

Theatre district for a more standard affair, Yates and the like.

Thanks, and the others replying too.

Apparently we're staying in the mk central Premier Inn (fancy) so looks like we're right in the centre.

We're assuming the place will be teeming with town fans so thinking ot might be worth trying to book a table somewhere in advance.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Advice for decent MK away day on 15:15 - Feb 8 with 1401 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Advice for decent MK away day on 15:05 - Feb 8 by Dubtractor

Thanks, and the others replying too.

Apparently we're staying in the mk central Premier Inn (fancy) so looks like we're right in the centre.

We're assuming the place will be teeming with town fans so thinking ot might be worth trying to book a table somewhere in advance.

All of the above easily accessible by taxi

CMK has loads of options. If it's the new premier Inn it's right next door to my office. There is a good steakhouse o the ground floor and plenty of options near by, hub is walking distance where you will find Loch Fyne etc

If its the one near the xsxape you have a bars and restaurants there as well as theatre district which is also walking distance so you'll be fine in terms of options.

If you want somewhere nice it's a bit our of the city the black horse in Great Linford is v good and If you fancy somewhere with a more town feel then afore mentioned stoney or Newport Pagne which is also home of Aston Martin where you will see some v nice cars and Newport has many good pubs and restaurants where you can make a night off it, about 5/10 mins drive out of CMK

Advice for decent MK away day on 15:40 - Feb 8 with 1342 viewstextbackup

Advice for decent MK away day on 14:38 - Feb 8 by Wallingford_Boy

Definitely drink away from the ground and walk/get cab in. As everyone else says its just restaurants for beer and its always rammed and impossible to get served on a normal away day, so no hope this weekend.

Or get loads of mates and cans and sit in car park and get tanked.

as i have the kids with me i've opted to book a table in TGI's right outside the ground after game finishes, jump in there, have some grub wait for crowds to die down then head back to the hotel.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Advice for decent MK away day on 17:04 - Feb 8 with 1222 viewsstonojnr

Oh…and there’s an IKEA.

You could use that to describe all of MK really, Bletchley is slightly better,just, because it has some history to the place so pubs,shops and places to eat have grown organically over hundreds of years,not just dumped on a gigantic retail/car park

MK is what only 50-60years in age now & the bars in the centre are mostly just built in units that are part of shopping centres, all glass plastic metal or leisure complexes, the spoons at the snozone is probably the better of the two in central mk but feel about as welcoming as sitting in an airport departure lounge.

Some people may like the sitting in a conservatory feel of the places there, but I wasn't a fan.

The Red Lion in Fenny Stratford was the best pub when I visited few years back, its down by a canal and I think a load of town fans went there last time. Its a small pub though,but at least its traditional. Gbg says it welcomes away fans as does the Chequers nearby.
Advice for decent MK away day on 18:28 - Feb 8 with 1104 viewsNeedhamChris

Oh…and there’s an IKEA.

You forgot the brothels too

Edit : that's a pop at MK rather than an endorsement 😂
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 18:29]

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024