Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retained List 07:42 - May 22 with 8358 viewsPaphosBlue

So we should hear this week who have been released. Assuming this will be contracts that expire this summer (the vast majority are next summer) I would guess this will include Matt Penney Nick Hayes KVY along with Sone Aluko and Keogh. Personally I hope the latter two stay at the club if only on the coaching side. This leaves a few players who's contracts expire next season that we will want to move on to free up space for new signings

Poll: What would Lambert have to do for you to accept him as Manager

Retained List on 07:49 - May 22 with 4992 viewsMetal_Hacker

Was today the day we had to send retained list to EFL by FrimleyBlue 20 May 2023 21:57
If so.. should see the club announce it soon.

If no.. then maybe not. :)

Poll: If it were one or the other

Retained List on 07:55 - May 22 with 4961 viewsPaphosBlue

Retained List on 07:49 - May 22 by Metal_Hacker

Was today the day we had to send retained list to EFL by FrimleyBlue 20 May 2023 21:57
If so.. should see the club announce it soon.

If no.. then maybe not. :)

Yes so list would have been submitted by Saturday so you would think rumours will start to circulate so the club will issue a press release in the next couple of days as other clubs have already

Retained List on 08:03 - May 22 with 4920 viewsxrayspecs

Retained List on 07:55 - May 22 by PaphosBlue

Yes so list would have been submitted by Saturday so you would think rumours will start to circulate so the club will issue a press release in the next couple of days as other clubs have already

I would expect that the players impacted were told some time ago. The retained list also includes the development squad and academy and these players were supposedly notified about a month or so ago.

It could be that we have offered some of them new contracts and given them a deadline to accept. It is then neater to make one announcement covering all known outcomes.
[Post edited 22 May 2023 8:11]
Retained List on 08:08 - May 22 with 4893 viewsPaphosBlue

Retained List on 08:03 - May 22 by xrayspecs

I would expect that the players impacted were told some time ago. The retained list also includes the development squad and academy and these players were supposedly notified about a month or so ago.

It could be that we have offered some of them new contracts and given them a deadline to accept. It is then neater to make one announcement covering all known outcomes.
[Post edited 22 May 2023 8:11]

I think Phil said a number of the development squad and academy players had already been advised and released and I guess this is the reason for the recent signing of three new youngsters

Retained List on 08:18 - May 22 with 4826 viewsGuthrum

Retained List on 07:55 - May 22 by PaphosBlue

The club has worked much harder in the last couple of years to make sure rumours do not emerge. Player contracts will not be up for another month yet.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Retained List on 09:16 - May 22 with 4485 viewsGavTWTD

How important is this retained list? Shirley changes can be made afterwards?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Retained List on 09:20 - May 22 with 4418 viewsPaphosBlue

Retained List on 09:16 - May 22 by GavTWTD

TBH looking at our squad now I don't think it is that important as it is the numerous contracts that expire summer 2024 that need sorting but I think Shirley will be retained!

Retained List on 09:32 - May 22 with 4334 viewsxrayspecs

In a world where there is little Town news...

I am more interested to see what has happened with the development squad as it seems that the club are taking a different approach to player ID. Rolls or Probert made a comment at one of the Fans Forum along the lines of they need to target different player profiles at youth level. The inference was that we have a tendency to recruit and develop technically able players who lack the physical attributes of the game that are important. It sounds like a big clear out, along with a number of recent signings and a new academy intake.

On the senior side, Luongo is the interesting one. Do we offer him a new deal?
Login to get fewer ads

Retained List on 09:45 - May 22 with 4244 viewsN2_Blue

Retained List on 09:32 - May 22 by xrayspecs

I am more interested to see what has happened with the development squad as it seems that the club are taking a different approach to player ID. Rolls or Probert made a comment at one of the Fans Forum along the lines of they need to target different player profiles at youth level. The inference was that we have a tendency to recruit and develop technically able players who lack the physical attributes of the game that are important. It sounds like a big clear out, along with a number of recent signings and a new academy intake.

Did you not see the last 15 games or so and how integral Luongo was? Why would we not offer him a deal? I think we’d definitely offer him one, whether he accepts it is another matter. At worst for the championship he would be a very good back up rotation player but him and Morsy I think are good enough to boss champ midfields, they have been exceptional together.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Retained List on 10:14 - May 22 with 4149 viewsxrayspecs

Retained List on 09:45 - May 22 by N2_Blue

Did you not see the last 15 games or so and how integral Luongo was? Why would we not offer him a deal? I think we’d definitely offer him one, whether he accepts it is another matter. At worst for the championship he would be a very good back up rotation player but him and Morsy I think are good enough to boss champ midfields, they have been exceptional together.

I agree, he was integral, and arguably made more of a contribution to the team than Broadhead and Hirst. We started to control games once he got up to speed, and it also allowed Morsy to play his natural game.

We have four (possibly five with Humphries still a U21) central midfield slots and have Morsy, Ball, Evans, Camara, Humphreys, Harper and El Miz under contract. We were also very keen on Taylor in January, with Luongo already in the building. So there is a lot of competition and I do wonder whether KM wants a pair of 30 somethings as first choice midfielders in the Championship, or whether he wants some younger legs.

It also depends a little on how ambitious we are this transfer window and whether we are looking at better players who can partner Morsy.

I cannot see Harper making the squad and suspect that El Miz will be sold to raise some transfer funds. Humphreys could go out on loan or fulfil the same role as this season, an U21 squad player.

That leave Morsy as a shoe in. I would not be surprised if Evans is allowed to leave due to his injury record. I would like to see Camara given a chance, he was one of the best midfielders in L1 last season and could be a box to box run all day option. Dom Ball is a younger option to Massimo. I presume we will be back in for Taylor.

So, as per OP, Luoungo is the one out of contract player who could get a new deal, but time will tell.
Retained List on 10:22 - May 22 with 4100 viewsSamWhiteUK

Yeah, I've been asking myself the same thing. It's not like when you lock your squad in at the start of the season.
Retained List on 10:23 - May 22 with 4085 viewsPhilTWTD

Retained List on 10:22 - May 22 by SamWhiteUK

Yeah, I've been asking myself the same thing. It's not like when you lock your squad in at the start of the season.

It's not so much about who is retained but who isn't.
Retained List on 10:26 - May 22 with 4062 viewsblueasfook

Retained List on 10:23 - May 22 by PhilTWTD

That Chaplin will be going hopefully. Bloody rubbish.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Retained List on 10:29 - May 22 with 4041 viewstractorboy1978

Retained List on 09:45 - May 22 by N2_Blue

Why? Because he's nearly 31, has a track record of injuries over the past few seasons, I expect we will sign another CM (Taylor?) and we already have Ball, Morsy, Camara, Evans contracted to us next season.

That's me playing devils advocate. I'd like to see Luongo get a deal but I can see why he perhaps wouldn't and we shake his hand and move on.
Retained List on 10:40 - May 22 with 3941 viewsJ2BLUE

What if we haven't retained the person who does the retained list?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Retained List on 11:54 - May 22 with 3673 viewsitfcjoe

Retained List on 09:32 - May 22 by xrayspecs

I'm finding the academy stuff a little puzzling to work out - talk of changing rpofile of player but then signed 4 U21s at end of Jan and none are particularly physically standout (the CB is tall, Ayinde plays athletically but is relatively slight and Lavin and Carr are just your bog standard academy athletic profile)

They are making a lot of changes at U14 and u15 level and seem to be going for London boys - generally these have so far been your very athletic players from the South and East of London who need polishing up technically. But whilst this may make us more competitive at the younger levels, it doesn't generally make a massive deal for the development of first teamers.

Feels at times like a new broom is attempted to be being pushed through the academy, but important not to throw baby out with bathwater because the Academy has been pretty productive in recent years (with sales of younger age players, with first team players coming through [and some sold on], and with players being released and going on to do well elsewhere)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Retained List on 12:01 - May 22 with 3584 viewsFrimleyBlue

Retained List on 11:54 - May 22 by itfcjoe

I'm finding the academy stuff a little puzzling to work out - talk of changing rpofile of player but then signed 4 U21s at end of Jan and none are particularly physically standout (the CB is tall, Ayinde plays athletically but is relatively slight and Lavin and Carr are just your bog standard academy athletic profile)

They are making a lot of changes at U14 and u15 level and seem to be going for London boys - generally these have so far been your very athletic players from the South and East of London who need polishing up technically. But whilst this may make us more competitive at the younger levels, it doesn't generally make a massive deal for the development of first teamers.

Feels at times like a new broom is attempted to be being pushed through the academy, but important not to throw baby out with bathwater because the Academy has been pretty productive in recent years (with sales of younger age players, with first team players coming through [and some sold on], and with players being released and going on to do well elsewhere)

Joe. Could it be that the end game isn't how many players we could develop into our first team, but have more younger players that we could develop with selling the main aim instead..

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Retained List on 12:13 - May 22 with 3511 viewsjayessess

Retained List on 12:01 - May 22 by FrimleyBlue

Joe. Could it be that the end game isn't how many players we could develop into our first team, but have more younger players that we could develop with selling the main aim instead..

Same thing, surely?

Ultimately there's only serious money in young players with the potential to play in the Premier League one day, everything else is basically pin money.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Retained List on 12:17 - May 22 with 3450 viewsFrimleyBlue

Retained List on 12:13 - May 22 by jayessess

Same thing, surely?

Ultimately there's only serious money in young players with the potential to play in the Premier League one day, everything else is basically pin money.

Not quite imo.

For example we've got a fair few cbs already plus young ones. Not really any pathway here for a new batch..
But we could bring in a couple with a view of developing for sale over developing for itfc.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Retained List on 12:18 - May 22 with 3453 viewsclive_baker

For all the talk of the 'retained list' surely it's pretty predictable in terms of the senior squad? Not sure there will be much to see when it is released tbh.

Can't see a world where Penney, Keogh or Aluko are offered anything. Would've thought KVY would've been extended by now if we had any intention of keeping him either.

Ultimately just becomes a question of Luongo. Personally I don't see why we wouldn't give him a year given what we've seen from him in recent months. Good Championship experience too, I think it's going to come down to what he wants to do next season as if he wants guaranteed regular football it might not be with us.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Retained List on 12:35 - May 22 with 3316 viewsHerbivore

Retained List on 12:17 - May 22 by FrimleyBlue

Not quite imo.

For example we've got a fair few cbs already plus young ones. Not really any pathway here for a new batch..
But we could bring in a couple with a view of developing for sale over developing for itfc.

You're only likely to get big money for young players who are good enough to get first team minutes for us. Those who are in the academy and still a way from the first team are unlikely to generate much in the way of a fee.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Retained List on 12:37 - May 22 with 3287 viewsjayessess

Retained List on 12:17 - May 22 by FrimleyBlue

Not quite imo.

Not sure I get what you mean?
The purpose of the academy is for the club to produce the best possible adult footballers, whether we're selling them or they're playing for us. Why would a focus on the former rather than the latter change which kids we wanted to bring in?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Retained List on 12:38 - May 22 with 3278 viewsitfcjoe

Retained List on 12:01 - May 22 by FrimleyBlue

You can only sell to Pl clubs, and physical specimens lacking technicality are those who haven't been picked up previously by them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Retained List on 12:53 - May 22 with 3175 viewsPinewoodblue

Suspect there are players coming out of contract that they have offered new deals, but not yet accepted.

There is no requirement to make you retained list public knowledge until the EFL publish the full list and think this is due in a couple of weeks.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Retained List on 13:16 - May 22 with 3056 viewsSamWhiteUK

Retained List on 10:23 - May 22 by PhilTWTD

Sure, but what's to stop the club changing its mind on a player?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024