Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 13:08 - Jun 1 with 8537 viewsSamWhiteUK

Thought I'd create a thread for us golfers on the site! A dedicated thread is something that works quite well on other forums I frequent. Set up rounds, discuss recent performance, moans and gripes (we should be good at that part!), equipment....

So, any other hackers among us?
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:35 - Jun 1 with 3953 viewsPerublue

Since Rob the barman left , I'll never return.

nb..Actually a good idea having an exclusive/dedicated thread,I also have the same on some forums I use ...Tennis,snooker,parkrun,TV non spoilers,etc tend to work quite well. and keep it tight...only thing is that the amount of posts daily it will get lost pretty soon unlike on my lesser used websites.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2023 14:36]

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:08 - Jun 1 with 3890 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:35 - Jun 1 by Perublue

Since Rob the barman left , I'll never return.

nb..Actually a good idea having an exclusive/dedicated thread,I also have the same on some forums I use ...Tennis,snooker,parkrun,TV non spoilers,etc tend to work quite well. and keep it tight...only thing is that the amount of posts daily it will get lost pretty soon unlike on my lesser used websites.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2023 14:36]

Yeah I think it's just a good way of having a natter with like-minded people who share more than one interest (Town and golf, in this instance)
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:32 - Jun 1 with 3870 viewsfactual_blue

In the interests of balance, there will need to be dedicated thread for people who detest golf.

Or 'sensible people' as they're usually known.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:36 - Jun 1 with 3864 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

guilty as charged

Poll: would you rather

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:41 - Jun 1 with 3860 viewsSwansea_Blue

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:32 - Jun 1 by factual_blue

In the interests of balance, there will need to be dedicated thread for people who detest golf.

The thread’s a good concept though. I’m thinking of setting up one for us stud muffins on the site. To set up ‘rounds’, discuss recent performance and who moans loudest, and to compare our ‘equipment’.

No, I don’t know where that came from either, my brain works in strange ways sometimes 🤷‍♂️

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:56 - Jun 1 with 3850 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:36 - Jun 1 by LegendofthePhoenix

guilty as charged

As a golfer or a hater?
"But I don't want guitar lessons!!" (n/t) on 18:25 - Jun 1 with 3841 viewsBloots

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:32 - Jun 1 by factual_blue

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 18:50 - Jun 1 with 3828 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:56 - Jun 1 by SamWhiteUK

As a golfer or a hater?

golfer. Gotta do something during the close season.

Login to get fewer ads

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:58 - Jun 1 with 3776 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s taken me a few years to resign myself to the fact I’ll never be anything less than pretty rubbish at golf. If we divide the game into three; driving, approach, putting… I can never ever get all three synced up. Example; last summer my putting was unexpectedly really good. The only snag was it would take me 7 or 8 shots to get to the green. And if I do manage a fairly straight drive you can guarantee the next shot will slice into the rough. Used to annoy the heck out of me but I’ve found peace with it and see it for what it is; a chance for some beers with mates. That’s it really.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 21:30 - Jun 1 with 3747 viewshoppy

If you’d be at all interested in a football golf day… can I just drop this in here, in case it’s of interest to anyone…?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 21:47 - Jun 1 with 3729 viewsstrikalite

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:58 - Jun 1 by Illinoisblue

It’s taken me a few years to resign myself to the fact I’ll never be anything less than pretty rubbish at golf. If we divide the game into three; driving, approach, putting… I can never ever get all three synced up. Example; last summer my putting was unexpectedly really good. The only snag was it would take me 7 or 8 shots to get to the green. And if I do manage a fairly straight drive you can guarantee the next shot will slice into the rough. Used to annoy the heck out of me but I’ve found peace with it and see it for what it is; a chance for some beers with mates. That’s it really.

I think if you're a high handicap player and you haven't got the time to practice a lot, preferably with lessons, then your best way of getting your score down is around the green with chipping and putting, so many aspects to the game as you say but get better around the greens and even if the rest of your game is off you can still turn a bad round into an ok one, you'll be surprised how many shots from around the greens are lost when you count them up..
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 22:31 - Jun 1 with 3709 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

I play in a group of about 20 mates. Most are now retired, (not me yet), and most are Spurs fans. Every time they get carried away about Spurs I just remind them that we've been champions of England more recently than they have.

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 11:59 - Jun 2 with 3622 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 21:30 - Jun 1 by hoppy

If you’d be at all interested in a football golf day… can I just drop this in here, in case it’s of interest to anyone…?

Thanks for sharing Hoppy... I would be interested, definitely. We could put a TWTD team together?
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:01 - Jun 2 with 3616 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:58 - Jun 1 by Illinoisblue

I can definitely relate to that. I took the game up, I reckon, about 18-20 months ago, and this inconsistency is what has kept me coming back! I reckon I'm somewhere around a 20 hcp now, capable of shooting about 87 but also 105. It's the norm for me to do at least one stupid shot every couple of holes, that then requires a couple more to recover from...
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:13 - Jun 2 with 3604 viewsBlueToad

Love it!

Play every week if I can and try to get down to the range once a week too if time allows.

Got my h/c down to 18.1 this year so making a bit of progress. I use the England Golf app for my handicap.

Just play local courses mainly, not a member anywhere but we went on an Ireland golf trip last year and played at Doonbeg, Tralee & Ballybunion which were all awesome courses.

Poll: Where are we now with Lambert In vs. Out ?

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:35 - Jun 2 with 3592 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:13 - Jun 2 by BlueToad

Love it!

Play every week if I can and try to get down to the range once a week too if time allows.

Got my h/c down to 18.1 this year so making a bit of progress. I use the England Golf app for my handicap.

Just play local courses mainly, not a member anywhere but we went on an Ireland golf trip last year and played at Doonbeg, Tralee & Ballybunion which were all awesome courses.

Sounds very similar to me both in terms of ability and amount played. I'm getting to a point now (admittedly, helped by better course conditions, I'm sure) where I can really feel the practice paying off, more so than I probably ever have with any other sport or hobby. Love that about golf - that your performance is down to you, and you alone. Very different coming from football as a kid where you could play a blinder individually and still come away having been totally drubbed!
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:47 - Jun 2 with 3568 viewshoppy

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 11:59 - Jun 2 by SamWhiteUK

Thanks for sharing Hoppy... I would be interested, definitely. We could put a TWTD team together?

I'm not a golfer, so not one for me (I always struggle with getting the ball through the windmill sails or into the one end of the drainpipe)...
That would be a good idea if there were a few of you wanted to get a TWTD team together though. Either let me know, or contact directly through the details on the flyer (probably best to go direct to be honest)

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 13:04 - Jun 2 with 3545 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:47 - Jun 2 by hoppy

I'm not a golfer, so not one for me (I always struggle with getting the ball through the windmill sails or into the one end of the drainpipe)...
That would be a good idea if there were a few of you wanted to get a TWTD team together though. Either let me know, or contact directly through the details on the flyer (probably best to go direct to be honest)

Yeah it was meant as a general suggestion :) See if anyone fancies it
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:40 - Jun 2 with 3502 viewsElephantintheRoom

I tried it. Paid for lessons - made use of a company membership to play for nothing. Granted I wasn’t very good and I came to agree it was a good walk spoilt - but I noticed everyone who played was always furious - and never satisfied with their score. I stopped when the company membership stopped.

Fishing is far more relaxing. And cheaper.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:45 - Jun 2 with 3495 viewsPerublue

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:40 - Jun 2 by ElephantintheRoom

I tried it. Paid for lessons - made use of a company membership to play for nothing. Granted I wasn’t very good and I came to agree it was a good walk spoilt - but I noticed everyone who played was always furious - and never satisfied with their score. I stopped when the company membership stopped.

I came to agree it was a good walk spoilt

The Godwin's law of golf threads or conversations

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 15:42 - Jun 2 with 3456 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:45 - Jun 2 by Perublue

I came to agree it was a good walk spoilt

The Godwin's law of golf threads or conversations

Which law is the one about how those who dislike something always need to make it known that they dislike it, usually louder by those discussing said thing in the first place?
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 16:19 - Jun 2 with 3440 viewsTheMover

I am a fellow golfer I tend to play Saturday mornings and avoid the range as much as I possibly can, no point using up good shots when they don't count.

Currently a member at Brett Vale
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 16:34 - Jun 2 with 3428 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 16:19 - Jun 2 by TheMover

I am a fellow golfer I tend to play Saturday mornings and avoid the range as much as I possibly can, no point using up good shots when they don't count.

Currently a member at Brett Vale

Nice, what's it like to play? The drawings make it look quite tight, but from the photos it looks quite open?
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 16:35 - Jun 2 with 3427 viewshype313

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:40 - Jun 2 by ElephantintheRoom

Likewise, I had lessons but just didn't get the bug, can see why people enjoy it though, especially once you've reached an age where traditional sports become too much like hard work, but for me personally. I couldn't get the buzz of it.

Which is a shame as lots of my family members play quite a lot, and it's a very social sport, I just tend to meet them at the bar once they have finished.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 19:54 - Jun 2 with 3384 viewsTheMover

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 16:34 - Jun 2 by SamWhiteUK

Nice, what's it like to play? The drawings make it look quite tight, but from the photos it looks quite open?

Sam, it is quite tight, but, it isn't covered in loads of gorse so can usually get the ball back in play. Based in Constable country so good views and reasonably hilly, for Suffolk, so makes for some more interesting holes, all of which have names. Death or Glory is SI 18!
I really do wonder how they work out the SI sometimes, certainly not the easiest hole :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024