Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All Quiet on the Eastern Front 11:33 - Aug 22 with 6770 viewsLeistonBlue

Does anyone else think Ashton might be quietly regretting publicly stating that we can expect 2/3 more signings before the end of the window? Feels like it put unnecessary pressure on the situation and leaves him in a bit of a tight spot if things do go to plan and that doesn’t happen…

Also before anyone gets their knickers in a twist that wasn’t a moan!! I actually think that our squad is absolutely fine as it is, though could do with adding some strength in depth in some areas, whether that’s in the next week or in Jan.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:34 - Aug 22 with 4280 viewsWeirdFishes

I’m surprised he mentioned a number as now clearly we know something hasn’t gone to plan if we don’t sign players.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:37 - Aug 22 with 4254 viewsMookamoo

With Edwards moving on and a space at CB, assuming Baggott goes on loan, we will be signing at least 2. There will be a list and we're just working our way down it based on who we can get for the money we have available.

If none of the longer term targets are happening, they just bring in a couple of loans.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:37 - Aug 22 with 4246 viewsjp_itfc

I feel really relaxed about it all, whatever will be will be. If we do miss out on targets it won't be through the lack of trying.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:42 - Aug 22 with 4162 viewsCoastalblue

The club are clearly very particular about who they sign and for how much these days.
I think we should welcome this, even if it means no more signings, especially with past experiences and some of the dross we've had taking good money out of the club.

We already know that if the right player is there, at the right price, we will do all we can to get them in, we saw that in January. So it's not a case of no signings means we don't want any, just that we can't get those that we want.

For sure Ashon probably thought he had one or two in the bag when he said that, but we know as well as anybody how that can change, we've been on both sides of it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:43 - Aug 22 with 4154 viewsthe_toff

Did feel a bit odd to put a number on it and say we're quite far down the line on a couple (which evidently haven't materialised). I think we'll probably still see 1 or 2 in and a couple out though. Either way I'm quite relaxed about it, we're comfortable at this level and it's been a long time since we've been able to say that. I don't think we're good enough to get promoted as it stands though.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:43 - Aug 22 with 4120 viewsLankHenners

It was a really daft thing to say and as it's been almost a month since he said that and there's been no incomings it's pretty clear we've missed out on a couple at least (or the deals have suddenly become more complicated, i.e. Rak-Sakyi).

Luckily for him though he could say the club is going to land a rocket on Mars and most of the fanbase would lap it up and not question it when it never happens.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 12:37]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:46 - Aug 22 with 4088 viewsWhos_blue

The question for me is does it really matter?
MA is an astute business man. I think we need to careful as a fanbase that we don't hang on his every word. I suspect he was/is confident of more signings, but if we don't land them I don't see it as "something gone wrong". It's business and you win some you lose some.
As the window closes I'm fearful the over the top scrutiny will then fall to players potentially seen as "panic buys" by some.
Overall, I would say that I find the over forensic scrutiny of every utterance from anyone connected to the club a little unhealthy, but just my opinion.
We're doing ok. We could probably do with a signing or two, but for me we're looking at squad players, not starters.
I'm really not sweating it.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:47 - Aug 22 with 4077 viewsTootingTown

Results have certainly helped the situation. I think if things hadn't gone so well, the pressure would be mounting a bit more.
I still expect a couple more to come in, but I think the market is a bit more inflated than maybe we thought it would be.
Login to get fewer ads

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:48 - Aug 22 with 4064 viewsVaughan8

I'm not going to question this management as they seem to have got most things right.

I suspect we might have a/some premier league loans ready to come in, but they need to get the players they need in first etc etc. Probably get one or 2 near the deadline.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:49 - Aug 22 with 4039 viewsCoastalblue

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:43 - Aug 22 by LankHenners

It was a really daft thing to say and as it's been almost a month since he said that and there's been no incomings it's pretty clear we've missed out on a couple at least (or the deals have suddenly become more complicated, i.e. Rak-Sakyi).

Luckily for him though he could say the club is going to land a rocket on Mars and most of the fanbase would lap it up and not question it when it never happens.

I don't think your last paragraph would be true for long if he wasn't delivering consistently. I think he's earned a bit of slack, but it won't last forever. It's tempered by the fact we're not actually desperate for bodies either, more looking to fine tune with quality.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:52 - Aug 22 with 3984 viewstextbackup

My opinion on his words is that he knows what he’s doing.
Could be a way to trip up/force agents/other teams to make decisions etc.

For all we know he could have 2 players ready to sign, but they can’t at this time because those clubs are waiting on players to come in first.

If we sign players we do, if we don’t, that team is in a pretty decent condition already, and we strengthen in Jan if needs be.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:11 - Aug 22 with 3730 viewsReusersTown

Weirdly overly negative.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:13 - Aug 22 with 3672 viewsLankHenners

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:49 - Aug 22 by Coastalblue

I don't think your last paragraph would be true for long if he wasn't delivering consistently. I think he's earned a bit of slack, but it won't last forever. It's tempered by the fact we're not actually desperate for bodies either, more looking to fine tune with quality.

I'm exaggerating for effect and yes, if he kept saying things that didn't come true then the goodwill would ebb away but, as I and others have pointed out several times already, the noise from the club, and Ashton specifically, has been that we'll be relentless in pursuing targets, we'll look to get some real quality in to improve not just the squad but the starting XI etc. That hasn't really materialised but quite a lot of people seem to think that's fine.

Maybe they're happy to go with the squad as is, personally I think we'd be undercooked but they can have that opinion if they want. What I do find a bit odd is the insistence in some quarters that we're playing some sort of 4D chess or it's actually the plan all along to do close to b()gger all in the transfer window despite the CEO, manager and club captain all saying we need/want more players in and pronto.

Worth saying again we had the whole 'have to wait for other clubs to buy/sell', 'the market's a bit slow' routine from Ashton last summer when we chased and ultimately failed to land Hirst then ended up with Ahadme on deadline day who barely played and in all likelihood never will for us again.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:19 - Aug 22 with 3638 viewsChurchman

I think the majority see Ashton for what he is. He’s a CEO running the day to day operation of the club and clearly enjoys promoting it, hype n all. When it comes down to it the club is in a different universe to the mess of Evans Milne and Clegg. That’s all there is to it.

His choice of words sometimes? Well, that’s him isn’t it. I’ve met many people who talk in bullsh1t bingo terminology and underneath the nonsense, plenty of them knew their stuff. Does Ashton know his stuff? Two years says yes, but he will still make mistakes, choose his words poorly sometimes. At least he’s trying to engage supporters - no bad thing.

Loft for Words Clive said: - ‘An end to the League One season in which they won 13 and drew two of 15 games, scoring a frankly obscene 43 goals and at one point keeping eight straight clean sheets (two 6-0s and three 4-0s among this nonsense)’.

We can now add on three straight Championship wins, 5-1 in goals and we have an extraordinary team right here right now. It’s not just the results either. It’s the way we play.

I hope we can enhance it with a couple of additions - a forward and CH, but given our performance level, I’m totally relaxed about it. Evolution, not Revolution and no Colin Quaners. It’s all good.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:21 - Aug 22 with 3609 viewsitfcjoe

And also saying it is time to improve the quality of the starting XI.

So has basically said we will sign at least 2 players good enough to start....

Over to you Mr Ashton

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:24 - Aug 22 with 3552 viewsStewart27

Why?

He’s not accountable to us.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:26 - Aug 22 with 3536 viewsJDB23

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:13 - Aug 22 by LankHenners

I'm exaggerating for effect and yes, if he kept saying things that didn't come true then the goodwill would ebb away but, as I and others have pointed out several times already, the noise from the club, and Ashton specifically, has been that we'll be relentless in pursuing targets, we'll look to get some real quality in to improve not just the squad but the starting XI etc. That hasn't really materialised but quite a lot of people seem to think that's fine.

Maybe they're happy to go with the squad as is, personally I think we'd be undercooked but they can have that opinion if they want. What I do find a bit odd is the insistence in some quarters that we're playing some sort of 4D chess or it's actually the plan all along to do close to b()gger all in the transfer window despite the CEO, manager and club captain all saying we need/want more players in and pronto.

Worth saying again we had the whole 'have to wait for other clubs to buy/sell', 'the market's a bit slow' routine from Ashton last summer when we chased and ultimately failed to land Hirst then ended up with Ahadme on deadline day who barely played and in all likelihood never will for us again.

Yes this is pretty much it. Everyone from the club knows we need more quality, they’ve been saying it from the start of the window. There’s no chance they expected to be 3 weeks into the season and only having Taylor and a Chelsea loanee on top of what we had last year.

It’s good we’ve got 3 wins on board, 2 of those could have gone either way and there would be a lot more noise about recruitment if they had. Once other teams have bedded in their players after rebuilds or got up to speed with new managers then we’ll have lost the stability advantage we currently have and squad quality will start to make more of a difference. That’s not to say we’ll drop like a stone but we will find it more difficult to sustain form. Let’s see what happens over the next week but I think it’s fairly obvious this window hasn’t gone to plan.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:27 - Aug 22 with 3490 viewschicoazul

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:24 - Aug 22 by Stewart27

Why?

Of course he is. I hate this boot licking cr@p.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:29 - Aug 22 with 3468 viewsblaggers

Jeez, here we go. Fans' expectation rising again. As far as I'm concerned, we did phenomenal business in January. At best we'll probably get a couple of loans in. Remember the criteria for getting players in is that they have to be hungry and actually want to come here. I think we can accept that the club won't be rushed into making signings for the sake of it.

Poll: What happens next?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:29 - Aug 22 with 3469 viewsmarcus1642

Ashton indeed has put himself in a tight spot. But let's wait and see. But I must admit that Town are certainly leaving it late for signings. The squad does need beefing up with genuine quality however. Trust the process.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:30 - Aug 22 with 3461 viewsRegencyBlue

He certainly raised expectations with that comment, which could easily come back to haunt him if nothing significant happens in what remains of the window.

I think he must have been very sure of himself to make the comment in the first place so it seems probable deals have collapsed at the last minute or have taken longer to sort out than first thought.

The next ten days will be interesting, one way or the other!
He has literally said that..... on 12:31 - Aug 22 with 3424 viewsBloots

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:24 - Aug 22 by Stewart27

Why?

....he is accountable to the fans a number of times.

However, he is the type of character that will say whatever he needs to say dependent on the situation he is in.

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:31 - Aug 22 with 3440 viewsBobbychase

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:19 - Aug 22 by Churchman

I think the majority see Ashton for what he is. He’s a CEO running the day to day operation of the club and clearly enjoys promoting it, hype n all. When it comes down to it the club is in a different universe to the mess of Evans Milne and Clegg. That’s all there is to it.

His choice of words sometimes? Well, that’s him isn’t it. I’ve met many people who talk in bullsh1t bingo terminology and underneath the nonsense, plenty of them knew their stuff. Does Ashton know his stuff? Two years says yes, but he will still make mistakes, choose his words poorly sometimes. At least he’s trying to engage supporters - no bad thing.

Loft for Words Clive said: - ‘An end to the League One season in which they won 13 and drew two of 15 games, scoring a frankly obscene 43 goals and at one point keeping eight straight clean sheets (two 6-0s and three 4-0s among this nonsense)’.

We can now add on three straight Championship wins, 5-1 in goals and we have an extraordinary team right here right now. It’s not just the results either. It’s the way we play.

I hope we can enhance it with a couple of additions - a forward and CH, but given our performance level, I’m totally relaxed about it. Evolution, not Revolution and no Colin Quaners. It’s all good.

There will come a time when Ashton will face proper scrutiny but I always remember he was the man who identified and recruited McKenna, with United not convinced they wanted to let him go, and McKenna himself needing some persuading. From that decision comes everything good at the moment, including playing football that means it's hard to get a ticket for home games and we're heading for regular 28-29,000 crowds.

Given we have secured Chaplin on a longer term deal, signed Hirst and Luongo, Taylor and Hutchinson and got McKenna on a longer deal I fail to see how this window has been disappointing. We were playing Championship-level football towards the end of last season thanks to the additions of Hirst, Luongo and Broadhead anyway

If, at the end, we haven't added any more players then something will have not gone to plan, but so many deals are done late as Premier League clubs shuffle their packs.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:33 - Aug 22 with 3418 viewstractorboy1978

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:47 - Aug 22 by TootingTown

Results have certainly helped the situation. I think if things hadn't gone so well, the pressure would be mounting a bit more.
I still expect a couple more to come in, but I think the market is a bit more inflated than maybe we thought it would be.

I think we've been caught out a bit. The last 2/3 seasons with/post COVID, the market in the Championship has been really decompressed. But several clubs outside the relegated clubs have decent money to throw around after selling players/getting add ons from past deals - Stoke, Hull, Coventry, Birmingham, Bristol City, Middlesbrough.

I am not advocating spending silly money but as Ashton says himself, ultimately you cannot afford to stand still or you will be going backwards in this division. Ultimately the market is the market and if you want players you've got to be willing compete on fees/wages. I am sure we are for the right players, but if McKenna has a really small pool he wants then you need to make sure you land them.

We have got off to a great start but that'll just make it more annoying for me if we don't end up adding the "2/3" that we believe can improve the starting 11 and really kick us on with one of the best managers in the division.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:37 - Aug 22 with 3352 viewsChurchman

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:13 - Aug 22 by LankHenners

It depends on your expectations. If they are 10 new players every transfer window, then disappointment will follow.

Being relentless in pursuing targets is something I’ve no doubt they are doing. But there are dependencies, not least finding the right people at the right money from a club who wants to sell and a player who wants to come here. It appears to be an inexact science and not easy.

The club has moved a few on, brought in Hirst and Luongo permanently, added Taylor and the back up keeper. Hardly earth shattering, hardly inactive either given the other two recruited in January making a total of six in this year to date.

There’s just over a week to go. Let’s see what happens. The squad isn’t undercooked, but a couple in to enhance it would be good.

Poor old Ahadme, who’s started well at table toppers Camb U. He came in to help us get out of L1. He got injured and subsequently was overtaken by Hirst. No, he probably won’t play for us at this level, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it was wrong to sign him at the time or that he’s a bad player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024